.25 mile north of CR 500N
    (574) 946-4422

Shooting and shotgun range hours:
    (Eastern Standard Time Hours)
    April - August
    8:00 am to 7:00 pm

September - March
    8:00 am to 5:00 pm
    (7:00 am to 4:00 PM Central Standard Time, ie. Chicago time)

PDF Map: http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw_Winamac_map.pdf
    The range is right above circle #4 on the map.
    You can see it from the side of the road. DO NOT follow the sign for the SKEET RANGE that goes EAST INTO the park.

How To Get There:
    From the Griffith/Highland, IN area
    1) Take US 30 EAST
    2) Take RT 39 SOUTH
    3) Take RT 10 EAST

Now either
    4) Take Co. Rd 800 N (gravel road) which will become Co. Rd. N. 200 W SOUTH & you will see the range on your left hand side
    or
    4) Take US 35 SOUTH
    5) Take C. Rd 500 N WEST
    6) Take Co. Rd. 200 W NORTH (gravel road) & you will see the range on your right hand side.

When:
    Saturday, 16 OCT 2010
    Time: 10am CST (Chicago Time) @ the 25 yard range

For those of you who have not been to Winamac range please see these AAR:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/943648-post67.html
    and
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ingo_e...on_report.html
    and
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ingo_e...d_shoot-8.html

Here is an image of what the 25' yard looks like:
    http://www.majhost.com/gallery/jediagh/guns/nwi-ingo/nwi-ingo_05-outing_001.jpg

Attendance:
    Jediagh + 1
    melensdad + 3 (possible)
    Woodrow + "Ms. Woodrow"
    Andy219
    Delmar
    Bill B + 2
    johncarbaugh + 1
    Bubbajms

Equipment:
    Handguns
    1911 [.45 ACP] (Jediagh: Please bring ammo)
    Ruger Mark III [.22 LR] (Jediagh: Will have ammo)
    S&W Revolver 625 [.45 ACP] (melensdad: Will have ammo)
    Detonic Combat Master 1911 [.45 ACP] (melensdad: Will have ammo)
    Kimbers [.45 ACP] (Woodrow)
    Smith Model 57 [.41 magnum] (Woodrow)
    Hi-Point [.40] (Andy219: Will have ammo)
    Ruger GP100 [357 magnum] (Andy219: Will have ammo)
    Sig P226 [.40] (Andy219: Will have ammo)
    S&W 500 [.500] (Andy219: Will have ammo)
    Ruger SA Blackhawk [.44 magnum] (Andy219: Will have ammo)
    xd [.40] (Bill B: Please bring ammo)
    Ruger P94 [.40] (johncarbaugh: Will have ammo)
    Taurus PT709 Slim [9mm] (johncarbaugh: Will have ammo)
    Colt Cadet [.22] (Bubbajms: will have ammo)
    Glock 23 [.40] (Bubbajms: will have ammo)
    S&W 438 [.38 special] (Bubbajms: Please bring ammo)
    Ruger SP101 [.30] (Gunbunnies: Please bring ammo)
    Charter Arms snub nose [.38 special] (LocusofSteel: Will have ammo)

Rifle
    Ruger 10/22 with TechSights [.22 LR] (Jediagh: Will have ammo)
    Ruger 10/22 with TechSights [.22 LR] (Jediagh: Will have ammo)
    WASR-10 AK-47 [7.62x39] (Jediagh: Will have ammo)
    AR-15 [6.5 Grendel] (melensdad: will have ammo)
    [Ask to shoot it as it usually is at the longer ranges with melensdad & then put back in the car]
    Purple AR-15 [5.56] (melensdad: will have ammo)
    Pink AR-15 [.22lr] (melensdad: will have ammo)
    melensdad said:
    PINK AR15 that Jediagh loves so much
    Czech built CZ VZ-58 "assault rifle :rolleyes:" [7.62x39] (melensdad: will have ammo)
    M4 [.223] (Woodrow)
    AK-47 [7.62x39] (Woodrow)
    Hi-Point [9mm] (Delmar)
    Marlin [.22] (Bill B: will have ammo)
    Ruger 10/22 [.22] (johncarbaugh: will have ammo)
    Kel-Tech Sub2000 [.40] (Bubbajms: will have ammo)
    Marlin Lever [.38] (Gunbunnies: Please bring ammo)
    Zastava M59/66 [7.62x30] (LocusofSteel: will have ammo)

Shotgun
    Please note we can only use #4 or smaller shells on the 25' yard range. Birdshot is OK as well. You can use other loads on the 100' and 200' yard range.
    Mossburg 500 [12g] with Knoxx Stock (Jediagh: Will have ammo)
    Mossburg 500 [12g] (Bill B: Please bring ammo)
    Saiga 12 with 20-round drum [12g] (Gunbunnies: Please bring ammo)

Food:
    NWI INGO Food Committee Chair #1: :dunno:

We are allowed to bring food (i.e. small gas grills) onto the range and use them in the grassy area behind the 25' range. Please only bring "finger food" as there are no tables, chairs on the range. Also plates, napkins and cups are needed as well. Please pitch in by bringing something if you can.
    Our typcial food items consits of Hot Dogs, Chips, Soda/Lemonade and Sweets (Cookies, Brownies, etc.)

Food Items Coming
    Meats
    - 1 8-Pack of Hot Dogs & buns (Jediagh)
    - 6 hamburger patties & buns (Jediagh)
    - 2 6-Pack Brats with sauerkraut & buns (LocusofSteel)
    - RED HOTS & buns (melensdad)
    - 1 16-Pack Jumbo HotDogs & buns (woodrow)

Sides
    - Bag of chips (Jediagh)
    - Brownies (Jediagh)

Drinks
    - Horchata aka rice water (Jediagh)
    - Case of water in cooler (Andy219)
    - Pop (woodrow)

Misc
    - Napkins (Jediagh)
    - Ketchup, Mustard and Relish (melensdad)
    - Propane Grill (melensdad) [Thank you! Thank you!]
    - Ciagrs (melensdad)

Plywood Donation for the Range:
    DNR can only put new plywood up on Mondays. Our group typically leaves the plywood HEAVILY damaged once we are done. (Tons of shooting :D).

DNR advised that the State of Indiana has tighten their funds so they (range) can not always put fresh plywood up. In JUL, AUG and SEP we (NWI INGO) as a group have donated plywood to the range each time we have gone and DNR has been very thankful for it. (Suspect this has helped with us having a "food area" on the 25 yard range.) As such I would like us as a group to be able to do this again. The plywood must be full size 4'x8' in size ANY thickness.

NWI INGO Plywood Person:
    Jediagh

Donation Goal:
    6 sheets = $41.54

Remaining balance since last meet & shoot: $20 (Clif45 has for NOV shoot)

Donation List:
    $5 by Bill B
    $5 by Jediagh

FAQ:
    What should I bring?
    Your firearms and some ammo, off course! No full-autos are allowed on the range but everything else (handgun, rifle, shotgun) is.

What should I bring (Non Firearm Related)?
    Here is what some members bring in addition to their firearms to help them during the day.
    - Folding/Camping Chairs (there is only one two-person bench on the 25' yard range)
    - Shooting mat
    - Binoculars
    - Small tool kit to adjust sights/quick fix firearm
    - Eye and Hearing protection

I see member "John Doe" is bringing his 1911, can I shoot it?
    Most members bring their guns to shot and allow others to shoot them as well.
    If you see a gun on the list you would like to shoot, ask the owner (post it) what type of ammo brand they like so you could use it. Some members supply the ammo. Be considerate of others and bring some more if you can so everyone can try the firearm.

What about safety after all this is a public range? I have heard bad stuff about public ranges.
    While the range is open to everyone typiclaly what occurs when we go has been that we (NWI INGO) end up taking over the 25' yard range. This in turn has helped us to police ourselves and ensured our own safety. We setup a table with the "NWI INGO Range Rules" and just ensure that any new shooters we have with us are being supervised.

Do I have to shoot only from the bench sitting down?
    There are no rules for "how" to shoot at the range.
    You can shoot by...
    - sitting from the bench
    - standing from the bench
    - sitting cross-leg from the bench
    - laying on the floor from the bench

We have even shot the boards CLOSER than the 25' yards as well when we control the full 25' range.

What size plywood can we donate?
    The range can only take full sheet 4'x8' plywood in ANY thickness due to how it is nailed to the wooden post they have.

What is the cost to come?
    The range is FREE as it is a public Indiana range.
    The cost you will incur is for the ammo you shoot (most people bring their own) and for the targets you bring to shoot. FREE targets can be downloaded from the internet (see below). A couple people usually bring staple guns and are willing to share so there is no cost to hang the targets.

Bring eye/ear protection. If you can bring some snacks to share, if not that is OK too. If you have an odd caliber toy then its generally considered good form to bring extra ammo for that gun and share that but its reasonable to limit the amount of shooting if the ammo is expensive.

The group (INGO NWI) as a whole gives a donation of plywood to the range each time we go. The chairperson for the plywood pays for the plywood and brings it and takes donations from others for it.

Need free printable targets? Try this post:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general_firearms_discussion/79176-free_targets.html

Last edited:

evilblackrifle

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Portage, IN
    Count me In!!!!

Attendance:
    Evilblackrifle (Erick) 1 (+1 new shooter potentially I'll advise if more people will be coming once I know.)

Equipment:
    Handguns
    HK USP .40 Full Size (pls bring ammo)
    Browning Buckmark .22

Rifles
    DPMS AR-15 .223 (pls bring ammo)
    Savage .308 Target Rifle (pls bring ammo)

Shotgun
    Remington 870

Food Items Coming
    - Minimum 6 (2-Liter) bottles of soda (Let me know if I should bring more)
    - 2 Packs of Hotdog Buns
    - 2 packs of Brats

- 3 packs of Hamburger Buns
    - 12 (3 packs) of Beef Hamburgers

I may have a few pieces of plywood leftover from a rehab project. If I do, I'll be happy to bring it.

I'll try to bring some folding chairs/plywood (if left over) if I can fit it into my car

Is prone shooting allowed there or just from the tables?

See you there!

Erick

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Count me In!!!!

Is prone shooting allowed there or just from the tables?

Erick

There are no rules for "how" to shoot.

I have observered the following:

- Shooting sitting from the bench
    - Shooting standing next to the bench
    - Shooting sitting cross-leg next to the bench
    - Shooting laying on the floor next to the bench

We have even done shooting CLOSER than the 25' yards (about mid-way point) as well standing. This is typically when we have full control of the 25' yard range.

Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    I have that new revolver too. I didn't get much cash from the last shoot but I can get more if needed and get some cash later. I should new able to attwbd this one, but I'm not 100 percent sure. I may be working again but I won't know until saturday

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Food Items Coming
    - Minimum 6 (2-Liter) bottles of soda (Let me know if I should bring more)
    - 2 Packs of Hotdog Buns
    - 2 packs of Brats
    - 3 packs of Hamburger Buns
    - 12 (3 packs) of Beef Hamburgers

Wow evilblackrifle that is a LOT of food! Please don't think I'm not grateful for all the stuff you are signing up for (I am) but it might be too much stuff.

Also there is no grill on site and melensdad has been brining his (BIG THANKS THERE!!). We have only cooked hot dogs since that is typically quick and easy (not messy on the grill or for us). I have thought of taking burgers but alas it's not my grill so not sure if

a) melensdad has an issue with it
    b) who wants to stay next to the grill and "cook" the food

We typically have put the dogs (melensdad) watches them for a bit and then turns off the grill and keeps it closed so they stay warm.

6 litters of pop seems like a lot to me (for this month) since unlike our JUL event which was veyr hot and we have 35+ people I think we may end up with no more than 20 people this time. So perhaps 3 2-liters would be better. I have a 5 gallon coller we did lemondae in last time and we probably only drank about 1 gallon last time.

If you are going to bring the pop I might just leave the cooler behind or fill it up with just water. Andy219 broght a case of water last time as well.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I have that new revolver too. I didn't get much cash from the last shoot but I can get more if needed and get some cash later. I should new able to attwbd this one, but I'm not 100 percent sure. I may be working again but I won't know until saturday

Revolver - caliber? type?

Also could you give us a break down of the cash you got and how much more you need. Thanks. Sry if I'm being "anal" about it but with the "cash" stuff I want it to be fully transparent so the members know where their money went. :)

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Looks like I can make this one.

As per usual, I will bring a propane BBQ grill & propane canisters, it looks like food will come from others.
    I'll bring Ketchup, Mustard & Relish too.
    I can do the cooking or others can use my grill, makes no difference to me.

As for guns, I'm still wringing out one of my 6.5 Grendel rifles at 200 yards.
    I'll have at least 1 AR15 chambered in 6.5 Grendel. I may bring 2 AR15s in 6.5 Grendel.
    (I have ammo, ask to shoot if interested, they often don't make it to the 25yd range because I typically shoot them at the long ranges and put them back in the car, last event we had 3 shooters, it will be up to you to walk down to the long range while the gun is out)
    PURPLE AR15 with a repaired optic, chambered in 5.56.
    PINK AR15 that Jediah loves so much, with working magazines, in 22lr.
    45acp S&W Revolver 625 model of 1989 (its already dirty, might as well bring it)
    45acp Detonics ScoreMaster 1911 w/6" barrel (also dirty, might as well bring it)
    45acp Detonics Combat Master compact 1911 (not sure which one, probably a dirty one ;))
    Czech built CZ VZ-58 "assault rifle":rolleyes: in 7.62x39 (not sure which variant, but at least 1 of them)

I will have ample ammo for all the guns I'm bringing and am will to share with everyone other than GeronimoJoe85 . . . oh, I haven't talked to them yet, but I'll probably be carpooling with Joe and Juan (9mmJV) again.

I am ALSO going to try to bring a few guests to this event from the Illinois based "iCarry.org" website. Some of these folks have attended the "Open Carry Cigar Nights" and have expressed interest in the group shoots. Long drive for them so not sure who/how many can make it.

I'm ALSO trying to bring a N.W.I. guest who is a former Civil War re-enactor/black powder shooter if he can work himself free of his kids activities.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    I'll be there...unless something unforeseeable at work. If anyone wants to carpool, I'd be down. I'm driving from Munster, so I will be passing through most of NWI.

I'll have the usual:
    M4 (.223)
    The Kimbers (.45)--I'm working on getting a new 1911 on Saturday. I'll let all interested know how it goes.
    AK-47 (7.62x39)
    Smith Model 57 (.41 magnum)
    I'll probably bring some miscellaneous.
    I'll have food or cash...

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    Count me in.

I'll bring:
    Case of water with cooler

Hi-Point 40s&w
    Ruger GP100 357 mag
    Sig P226 40s&w
    S&W 500 500s&w mag
    Ruger sa blackhawk 44 mag

I'll have ammo for all, I have had a little trouble finding ammo for the 500, I guess it's a hot seller right now for hunting season. Although I havent really been searching for it.

Not sure yet but it's possible that I may have a S&W 460, by then, I'll keep my fingers crossed and let you know if I do so you can update the list.

Last edited:

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    I have had a little trouble finding ammo for the 500, I guess it's a hot seller right now for hunting season. Although I havent really been searching for it.

Not sure yet but it's possible that I may have a S&W 460, by then, I'll keep my fingers crossed and let you know if I do so you can update the list.

Jesus, Andy. You're making me drool. I'm trying to hook-up with another 1911, and you're making me want to go for the big bores.

From what I understand, we can thank Joe for no ammo...thanks Joe. Nah, I'd have done the same thing. I might even look for some .500 so I can blast.

Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    I dont remember what the total from last month was. I know Your sister gave 5, and you gave a bit and then someone else handed me some cash before I really knew what was going on. I think i got like 20-25. sorry...

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I dont remember what the total from last month was. I know Your sister gave 5, and you gave a bit and then someone else handed me some cash before I really knew what was going on. I think i got like 20-25. sorry...

:faint: Above your pay grade I see. :D You would fit right in the current white house. :laugh:

How much do you typically need for 6 boards?

evilblackrifle

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Portage, IN
    OK, I'll tone it down a little. By the way, my name is Erick...Wanted to change my name on here to "Sarah_Bradys_Worst_Nightmare", but that was 'forbidden'. Oh well.

Here's what I'll bring:

3-2 liters of pop (probably a diet cola, reg. cola and 7-up or Mtn Dew
    **I DON'T HAVE A COOLER TO KEEP IT COLD...DOES ANYONE HAVE ONE?**

2-Packs of Hot dog buns
    2-Packs of brats

I'll leave the burgers and buns at home, unless someone wants me to bring them.

**What are the measurements of the plywood boards?**Not sure if the ones I have left over are the correct size, or if they'll even fit in the car...

Can't wait to meet ya!!

Erick

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    I'll have a cooler with ice and a case if water, there'll be room in there fir anything anyone needs to keep cold.

I have a thing for big bores, must be compensating for something. :dunno:
    :laugh:

Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    **What are the measurements of the plywood boards?**Not sure if the ones I have left over are the correct size, or if they'll even fit in the car...

Erick

Full 4X8 sheets. We have been bringing 7/16 OSB because its cheap and it works. The only real requirement is that it is 4X8. If you have enough material, it wouldn't take much for someone to swing by and grab it before the shoot so we can take it out there.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom