• ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    This thread is spun off from the Willow Slough thread. I 'm going to PM Hough and ask him to chime in. There is One suggestion of 26 acres. We would have to decide where we wanted to locate, find suitable properties, decide how we would structure the trust, get input from texkev and everything I have not thought of. Not necessarily in that order.

Well. I won't be going there.

We need to form a trust and build our own range.

NWI INGO Go Fund Me.

Hough, Insight?

A private gun range with membership would be one way to get around all this BS. That takes money. Lots of money.

If they are DNR ranges they will eventually be converted.

My understanding is 10 acres of private land is all that is required for for shooting legally.

I believe we could form a trust and that with our own money we could do it.

We would only need to decide it was necessary.

^^^I'm in.^^^

There is 26 acres for sale behind my house.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    1776, where is the land located, terrain, drainage, neighbors etc.

You could be the gate keeper.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Laporte on Goldring Rd. Country setting so not many neighbors. Where I am and if the 26 is the land right behind my house you have some high points and low laying areas mainly near the NIPSCO high line power line. Lots of trees to cut down but i think we could possibly make it close to 250-300 yd range.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I'm sure some one with some bulldozers and what not could smooth out the land. From the top of the hill behind my house next to my fire-pit to the next hill following along the Power Lines I am getting 170 yds at the halfway pt and then lose the range finder beyond that. I would figure its a good 300-350 to the next hill.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    It has to be a county with low property taxes if we do the trust thing. Annual dues for members and depending on where we break ground 24/7 access. Solar power for lights, well for water, wood burning for heat. Might as well live off the land as well.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    It has to be a county with low property taxes if we do the trust thing. Annual dues for members and depending on where we break ground 24/7 access. Solar power for lights, well for water, wood burning for heat. Might as well live off the land as well.
    INGO commune?

I've often thought about something like this. Didn't think it would ever work, I'll be watching to see what you guys can accomplish.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Some of you know, I am the current President at Glen Park IW.
    What I can tell you is -
    Form a 501 c 4 (fraternal club) pros & cons vs. 501 c 3 for the most part being the tax deduction part not applying to a c 4.
    Land acquisition can be handled in many ways. IMO a trust route may be problematic / over complicate oversight. In any event, the seed money will have to come from somewhere otherwise land will have to be donated.
    Insurance for a shooting club is surprisingly affordable if you go through the right sources.
    Taxes (in our case the Merrillville Conservancy Assessment) are not bad either with a 501 c 4 status depending on your "purpose"
    If you are talking just outdoor stuff, shade pavilions, and whatnot that's all cheap in relation to the land itself.
    Now, keeping it up... that's another story.
    Our single biggest expense after utilities for the buildings is lawn mowing.
    Running a volunteer range is A LOT of work. Ask me - I KNOW...
    The word private comes with lots of restrictions on how you can organize and what you can do.

MTN

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Laporte Co.
    I'm sure some one with some bulldozers and what not could smooth out the land. From the top of the hill behind my house next to my fire-pit to the next hill following along the Power Lines I am getting 170 yds at the halfway pt and then lose the range finder beyond that. I would figure its a good 300-350 to the next hill.

One thing to consider is that power line path is a utility right of way. Not just for Nipsco but other utilities. My bet is there is some high pressure transmission pipelines underground. Like marathon, buckeye, trans Canada ect.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    One thing to consider is that power line path is a utility right of way. Not just for Nipsco but other utilities. My bet is there is some high pressure transmission pipelines underground. Like marathon, buckeye, trans Canada ect.

Also, I may be speaking from my posterior, but I have a negative streak; If the high tension lines are visible from the property, expect push back from the power company. And that push back will be VERY hard and influential. They will be afraid of our bullets cutting their expensive power lines that serve millions. If they get wind of the project I could see them fighting and winning. Just the thought of some irresponsible party having a ND with his 10/22 that will surely sever the 1" cables causing a regional blackout will be one HELL of an uphill climb. At least that is how they will sell it to the zoning board, regardless of how legit it is.

Good luck.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN

We have the NIPSCO 24in pipe line with the high tension wires and on the other side of the house is a wolverine pipe line. I would say the NIPSCO lines and pipe run pretty much down the middle of those 26 acres.

Top Bottom