• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FieldShunt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Our friends at the Michigan City Rifle Club are staging an "Introduction to IDPA" class on Sunday afternoon, January 25th, 2009.
    This will be at the club's indoor range.
    This is intended to be a primer on participation in IDPA matches. It will include a look at the IDPA rules, equipment and the rules for that (IPDA equipment requirements are among the most minimal of all), and the types of classifications and divisions.
    It will include live-fire demonstrations and shooting-optional looks at simple IDPA "scenario" setups. Participants may take the opportunity to try shooting a scenario if they like; they should bring a carry-type gun and belt holster, as well as some ammunition.
    The cost is $10 and there is no pre-registration. However, they have a limit of 20 participants due to range size so it may be that pre-contact would be good.
    Jeremy and the folks at MCRC do an especially nice job with new shooters, and they are who this is aimed at. This is a low-pressure way to get a close-up look at the "cardboard shooting" sports, including USPSA and ICORE, if you haven't gotten a chance to take it in.
    Michigan City Introduction to IDPA Class 1-25-09
    is the web page from the North Porter County CC site I set up for them to help spread the word. Contact information is there.
    Michigan City Rifle Club is the MCRC home page. The club is on US 20 just east of town.

FieldShunt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    M9Hoosier-
    You don't have to pre-register, but I'd recommend checking out the page links for contact information.
    I posted this on behalf of our friends at MCRC, who do such a nice job with new shooters and competitors.

JeremyVG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Michigan City, IN
    FieldSHunt, Thanks for making this post. MCRC IDPA and myself personally greatly appreciate it.

M9Hoosier, I'm the instructor of this class. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. My info is listed in the link provided above.

Thanks,
    Jeremy

JeremyVG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Michigan City, IN
    Just to clarify on the class, it starts at 3pm (Central Time) SHARP. Please try to be a few minutes early if you plan on attending.

Also, the classroom should be considered COLD. No loaded firearms, please.

Jeremy

Last edited:

M9Hoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    NWI
    well i just got back home now and I am pretty upset right now. I drove over an hour looking for this place and did not see anything. I got off exit 34b and was on 421 until I hit highway 20 and drove 10 miles in both directions. I didnt see any signs or anything. I stopped at several gas stations and most of them didn't even know what i was talking about. I did pass kemps gun shop? but it was closed, never been there before. there should be better directions on the site.

so what did i miss?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    well i just got back home now and I am pretty upset right now. I drove over an hour looking for this place and did not see anything. I got off exit 34b and was on 421 until I hit highway 20 and drove 10 miles in both directions. I didnt see any signs or anything. I stopped at several gas stations and most of them didn't even know what i was talking about. I did pass kemps gun shop? but it was closed, never been there before. there should be better directions on the site.

so what did i miss?

There's a sign on the north side of the road that says "Michigan City Rifle and Pistol Club" or at least there was about a month ago.

Sorry that you didn't make it.

JeremyVG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Michigan City, IN
    My cell phone number is posted on the MCRC website and on the link provided by FieldSHunt. I took five phone calls from other people over the course of the morning to give them directions.

Sorry you couldn't find us.

Jeremy

Last edited:

baglorious

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    NW IN
    Argh!

Heh. Very new to the forum. Didn't read this post until... now. I live in LaPorte... and I went shooting today (in New Carlisle). At about 3:00 pm.

Argh!

Thanks for the heads-up! Future "heads-ups" will also be appreciated.

FieldShunt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    baglorious-
    These folks have a regular IDPA every second Sunday, year-round. This weekend they're hoping to have it outdoors, since the weather forecast is good. Otherwise they go back indoors, like the Intro class was.
    Any match is good for starting, if your expectations don't include a monster trophy. And, MCRC's IDPA program is, if possible, even more newbie-friendly than most... and most are really accessible.
    MCRC also has a Wednesday night league at 6 or 7pm, every Wednesday, if I'm not mistaken. Go back to Jeremy's posts for his contact info.
    As for the gentleman who missed the club, we're all really sorry. I've had that happen to me, too, but in summer when I was motorcycle-bound and so going for a ride wasn't such a bad thing.
    The club's sign is white with black letters, and of modest size. It and the driveway are on the north side of Highway 20, just about a half-mile east of where the I-94 interchange is. If you hit US 421, you're too far west. The club is east of the built-up part of the town.
    The driveway is just to the east of a large restaurant complex, of which I forget the name; but when you come to the end of the complex, bingo, there's the driveway snaking back into the woods.
    So, here's the heads-up. IDPA at Michigan City, this Sunday morning the 8th, at 9am CENTRAL time.

Wait a minute- edited to add:
    I should maybe put in a plug for my own club, too, North Porter County Conservation Club in Chesterton, Indiana.
    In the top left corner of the site is a regional calendar link that's pretty complete. It ranges from Plainfield, IL to the west, to Dorr, MI to the north. Plus, there's links for all of these various clubs and their resident programs.

Last edited:

M9Hoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    NWI
    would these be accurate directions?

5.Take exit 10 to merge onto I-80 E/I-94 E/US-6 E toward Detroit Continue to follow I-94 E
    21.4 mi
    6.Take exit 26B for State Hwy 49 N 0.3 mi
    7.Merge onto IN-49 0.5 mi
    8.Turn right at Highway 100 0.5 mi
    9.Turn right at US-20 Destination will be on the left
    4.8 mi

Michigan City Rifle Club
    4801 W U S Route 20
    Michigan City, IN 46360

(219) 879-8400

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    No, those directions are wrong. That is quite a distance away from where you want to be.

You would take I-94 East until Exit #40A, which is US 20 eastbound. Continue ~0.5 mile east and the club will be on the north (left) side of the road.

Good luck.

Last edited:

FieldShunt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Yeah, M9Hoosier, those are pretty strange directions. You'd eventually get there if you followed them, but it's far from the right way to get there.
    That "Highway 100" your directions referred to is actually Porter County road 100E, a little local road you wouldn't even use even if getting off I-94 at SR49, the Chesterton/Dunes exit (which, incidentally is the exit you'd be looking for if you were going to North Porter County Conservation Club, to the south of I-94 a few miles).
    The basic difference is, if you're eastbound from say, I-65, take I-94 east to the US20 East exit and you're almost there, as Soundslikejosh points out.
    Mapping software! Stranger every day.

Top Bottom