• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    Thanks folks... I stopped into Blythes in griffith today and was let down by their selection. 98% of the knifes they had were branded by a firearm manufacturer... or cocacola... anyways, i really hope i can make it over the crown point show to see Brad. Hes pretty much the only game in town...(every month or so)

Does Brads knifes have a web site?

Is there a cheat sheet for the different types of blade materials?

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Our website is lacking in the folders department to say the least. It's hard to put knives on there when you might have only one and your at a show just about every weekend. I would hate to sell one at the show and get home and find out the same knife sold over the weekend on the website.:(

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    KNIFESTRATEGIES.COM

He'll have a lot bigger variety of knives at the show though. There are gobs of information out there in regards to blade steels and materials. What's your budget and intended use for the knife?
    http://knifestrategies.com/

Im looking for an EDC folder for around $100. Im not sure if i want something easy to sharpen or something that will hold a good edge... trying to learn about different steel now...

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    s30v is a good steel. it holds a good edge and isn't crazy hard to sharpen up. steel isn't near as important as the heat treat though. any of the modern steels from the good companies will serve you well. I will throw my arch enemy steel out though and it's D2. I hate it lol. it holds a good edge and is fairly stain resistant but it is the most annoying steel ever for me to sharpen.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Is S30V the way to go?

S30 is a great option. Years ago, it was reserved for expensive semi customs, but can be found in a lot of reasonably priced knives. 154CM and VG10 are also good, inexpensive steels.

In that price range, I would look real hard at Benchmade, Spyderco, and the Zero Tolerance 0350.

s30v is a good steel. it holds a good edge and isn't crazy hard to sharpen up. steel isn't near as important as the heat treat though. any of the modern steels from the good companies will serve you well. I will throw my arch enemy steel out though and it's D2. I hate it lol. it holds a good edge and is fairly stain resistant but it is the most annoying steel ever for me to sharpen.

Agreed. D2 is a major pain in the ass.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    So I picked up a Kershaw Speedform II in ELMAX steel today from Brads Knifes...he gave me a nice INGO discount too. I was a tough customer, but he finally helped me find the right folder for me on the ELMAX steel and the blade profile for my intended use as an EDC/PD knife. If you havent shopped at Brads knifes, do you self a favor and see him. Especially if you are newer to quality blades... he was very patient and attentive to what I was truly looking for in a knife. I Cant wait to cut something!

PointFiveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    St. Joseph County
    Our website is lacking in the folders department to say the least. It's hard to put knives on there when you might have only one and your at a show just about every weekend. I would hate to sell one at the show and get home and find out the same knife sold over the weekend on the website.:(

Sounds like you need something set up on your site that will automatically send order announcements to your phone! Dive into some Star Trek style small business =P

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    You mean you haven't cut anything with yours yet? I didn't make it out of the lot without using the Esee-4 I bought off him. The Ruger 22/45 I bought had a little zip tie thing that had to go and I cut some paracord I bought.

Btw, Brad, did you catch **** from knife lady for you-know-what? :D

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    I have Actually got to use it a lot since then. It came in handy while building a mouse trap car with my sister-in-law. Its sharp! Now im wondering if i should get a sharpening system or just plan to send it back to kershaw when the time comes...but if go that route, I'll need another knife to carry while its gone...

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    You mean you haven't cut anything with yours yet? I didn't make it out of the lot without using the Esee-4 I bought off him. The Ruger 22/45 I bought had a little zip tie thing that had to go and I cut some paracord I bought.

Btw, Brad, did you catch **** from knife lady for you-know-what? :D

She was cool with it. :rockwoot:

Top Bottom