• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009

I know ... right? Gotta figure out what to do now. Both companies put people physically on my roof to measure it out.

Is the higher bid company just not interested in doing our roof? ... are they using better materials? ... do they have too much overhead? ... do they overcharge? ... bad estimate (don't know how to measure)?

Is the lower bid poorer quality? ... poorer materials? ... going to cut corners? ... more efficient? ... more honest? ... they want our business badly?

etc. etc. etc.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I know ... right? Gotta figure out what to do now. Both companies put people physically on my roof to measure it out.

Is the higher bid company just not interested in doing our roof? ... are they using better materials? ... do they have too much overhead? ... do they overcharge? ... bad estimate (don't know how to measure)?

Is the lower bid poorer quality? ... poorer materials? ... going to cut corners? ... more efficient? ... more honest? ... they want our business badly?

etc. etc. etc.

Asking questions to both may reveal answers to what you seek.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I would guess 26 to 30 if it wasn't real cut up...but it was probably even greater than that. A lot of guys doing roofs now days that are salesman and never really did a roof on their own. I can usually get a normal roof within +/- 1 square....but even I have had 50 square jobs that were 4-5 square short and long. I usually try to error on the too much side though, just because if I tell someone $5000 I don't want my final bill to exceed that. I would rather my final bill be $250 less than estimate rather than either have to charge for additional or eat it....which we normally eat it.

Most of our jobs are now measured by satellite.....they are usually accurate within 2-3%. It is the same way the insurance companies measure roofs. Makes it a lot easier and eliminates this from happening.
    How does a satellite realize pitch?
    5 on 50 is 10% waste, excess, cut off, I can live with that. (even if it's high) But I had a 30% swing in numbers of square from different roofers and that's crazy.
    In the end I wound up on the roof myself.
    Well WD, it's hard to figure out. But be careful. Sometimes the lowest bidder is the lowest for a reason.
    And sometimes the low bidders are the honest guys that really want the work and the high bidders are bending you over.
    I am managing several construction project right now where I've seen it. Still you better be sure. Generally too good to be true deals are just that.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    How does a satellite realize pitch?
    5 on 50 is 10% waste, excess, cut off, I can live with that. (even if it's high) But I had a 30% swing in numbers of square from different roofers and that's crazy.
    In the end I wound up on the roof myself.

And sometimes the low bidders are the honest guys that really want the work and the high bidders are bending you over.
    I am managing several construction project right now where I've seen it. Still you better be sure. Generally too good to be true deals are just that.

Yes, lower price is not always lower quality.
    I'm just saying to not just jump on a low offer right away. Need to look at other criteria.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County

etc. etc. etc.

If you pm me your address or picture of your house and how many squares they are replacing, I can give you a pretty good ball park. Don't tell me the prices they told you though. I'll see how close I am.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    shadow.
    Height in aerial photos is often judged by shadows.
    calibrate by looking at a known object.

That would be my guess.

Top Bottom