NY State Senators Say We've Got Too Much Free Speech; Introduce Bill To Fix That

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Just last week, New Yorker Jamey
    Rodemeyer, a 14-year old boy from Williamsville, near Buffalo, NY, took his life after what his parents claim was years of bullying because of struggles with his sexuality. His tragic death has gained national attention, including from superstar Lady Gaga, who said cyberbullying must be outlawed.

Well, darn. In the face of Lady Gaga (a well known intellectualist who has induced much profound thought of late) what can First Amendment proponents say?

THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE CYBERBULLYING LAWS BY FAR CAN BE FOUND IN ILLINOIS,WHICH INCLUDES DEFINITIONS FOR CYBERHARASSMENT, CYBERSTALKING, AND, MOST RECENTLY, CYBERBULLYING, WHICH WAS ADDED IN AN AMENDMENT OF THE HARASSING AND OBSCENE COMMUNICATIONS ACT IN 2008. ILLINOIS NOW PROHIBITS “HARASSMENT THROUGH ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS” AT LARGE, INCLUDING THE USE OF ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATION TO MAKE “ANY COMMENT, REQUEST, SUGGESTION OR
    PROPOSAL WHICH IS OBSCENE WITH AN INTENT TO OFFEND.”

Oh. Well, if Illinois has set the example...

Heaven help us all.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    304733_251986511505524_165801456790697_649646_1873188068_n.jpg

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    "History has shown us that government leaders often ignore the fundamental fact that people
    demand both dignity and freedom. Because of this disregard, these decision-makers then initiate
    acts that are ultimately self-destructive. To illustrate this point I will remind the reader of the origin
    of two of modern history's most destructive events, and of all the warning flags that were frantically
    waving while the instigators rushed headlong towards the abyss.

In the late 19th and very early 20th centuries, European leaders formed two major alliances.
    Germany, Austria, and Italy comprised one coalition, and Britain, France, and Russia the other.
    Belgium remained neutral per an 1839 treaty signed by all of these nations except Italy.
    The smaller European countries became indirectly involved in the two aforementioned alliances.
    One such example was Serbia, a country Russia had pledged to aid in the event of war between
    Serbia and Austria. Despite Russia's presence, Austria annexed a large part of Serbia,
    a province called Bosnia, in 1908.

Few people remain emotionally indifferent when their culture and country are taken over
    by an aggressor, and the Bosnian Serbs were no exception. Many Bosnians despised
    the government that had chilled their independence. In spite of this obvious fact,
    the Austrian leaders sent an archduke to the capital of Bosnia to survey the people
    Austria now ruled. This archduke was resplendent in full military ceremonial dress,
    festooned with medals and other military decorations, and accompanied by his elegantly-dressed
    wife. An objective observer might at this point have said, "Stripping motivated people of their dignity
    and rubbing their noses in it is a very bad idea."

Archduke Ferdinand and his wife arrived in Sarajevo in an open vehicle, and the
    only protection either of them had was their chauffeur. This man was expected to drive the car
    and at the same time protect the Archduke and his wife with only a six-shot revolver
    he carried in an enclosed holster, and no spare ammunition. Our theoretical observer might
    here have said, "This is a recipe for disaster."

Almost as soon as the Archduke and his wife arrived in Sarajevo, a Serbian National
    tossed a bomb under their car. Its fuse was defective and the bomb did not explode.
    Here, our observer might have advised, "A miracle happened. Go home. Now. Immediately."

Despite this obvious wake-up call, the Royal Couple shrugged off the assassination attempt
    and continued their tour of the Bosnian capital. Later that same day, a second Serbian National
    shot them with his .32, killing them both. The Austrian leaders blamed the Serbian government
    for the assassination and demanded a virtual protectorate over Serbia, issuing Serbia a list
    of demands. Serbia acceded to all but one of Austria's stipulations. Here, our observer might
    have said to Austria's leaders, "Russia has pledged to aid Serbia in any war with you,
    and Russia has both powerful allies and powerful adversaries. Serbia has agreed to almost
    everything you demanded. Settle, and avoid a world war." Instead, Austria shelled Serbia's
    capital with artillery fire.

Our observer might here have told Russia's leaders, "Serbia is not worth starting a world war over,"
    but Russia honored its commitment to Serbia and mobilized its army, sending troops to the
    Russian-Austrian border. Since this left Russia vulnerable to attack from Austria's ally Germany,
    the Russian Army mobilized against Germany as well.

This forced the German Army to mobilize. Since France was allied with Russia, the Germans
    feared an attack by France in the west while German troops went east. So Germany decided
    to invade France immediately, VIA Belgium. Here, our observer might have said,
    "Saying this is your 'destiny' is not going to be good enough, Germany. When you invade
    a neutral country and rape their women and slaughter their livestock and burn their houses,
    Britain is not going to just look the other way."

When the Germans invaded Belgium, Britain honored its commitment to defend Belgian neutrality,
    and declared war on Germany. Every major country in Europe was now at war.

Four years later, over thirty million people were dead, half of them killed directly in the war itself,
    and the rest so weakened through shortage of food and medicines that they succumbed
    to the influenza epidemic. In addition to the lives lost, the war's monetary cost in 1918
    was almost three hundred billion dollars. No sooner had the war ended than the victors demanded
    their pound of flesh at the Treaty of Versailles.

The treaty required Germany to accept sole responsibility for causing the war.
    It dictated that German military leaders were to be tried as war criminals. It prohibited the German
    army from possessing heavy artillery. It abolished the General Staff and the German air force,
    and prohibited Germany from producing military aircraft. As in 1914, our observer might have said,
    "Stripping motivated people of their dignity and rubbing their noses in it is a very bad idea."
    But if such words were in fact uttered, they fell on deaf ears. A humiliated Germany was ripe
    for the nationalist message of Adolf Hitler, and in this fertile soil were planted the seeds
    of the Second World War.

Today in America, honest, successful, talented, productive, motivated people are once again
    being stripped of their freedom and dignity and having their noses rubbed in it. The conflict
    has been building for over half a century, and once again warning flags are frantically waving
    while the instigators rush headlong towards the abyss, and their doom.

It is my hope that these people will stop and reverse their course before they reach the point
    where such reversal is no longer possible."

- John Ross
    September 1995
    Preface to his landmark novel 'Unintended Consequences,' excerpt

Bond 281

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    I really think that we should have made a provision in the constitution that any person attempting to infringe, through law or force, the fundamental rights of the people of the United States be executed for treason.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Attempting to fix cyberbullying through legislation is a symptom of our current cultural ills:

1. People cannot treat each other with civility on the internet. I often read comments on websites (news sites, Youtube, etc.), and wonder, who in the world are these terrible people? They are crude, insulting, and uncivilized. If the space aliens ever get a look at our internet, they will nuke us for sure. I can't blame them.

2. We have no way of fixing this problem except by the intervention of the state!!! This is similar to teachers being forced to call the cops because they have legally no effective means of controlling a wild kid. The kid's parents won't/can't do it, and the teachers can't do it. So it's up to the state. The state's hammer is "one size fits all," and the police has procedures to follow to guarantee equal treatment. The five-year-old troublemaker will leave school in handcuffs, because that's what you do with arrested suspects. A law has to be impartial, and before you know it anyone who ends up at the police station or the TSA check point gets a cavity search (or the terrorists will have already won).

If this trend continues, I want these various state agents to be trained in screening prostate cancer.

Da Bing

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Wait...

Where are all the "But politicians love us and don't want to control us, you're just being paranoid" posts?

Thank god Scutter posted it instead of Rambone otherwise this would be a completely different thread. That fact makes me sad.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    You know what makes me sad? Hotdogs and buns not packaged in the same numbers. Why isn't there a law for that? Or the fact that when I buy a car, I still have to pay for gas. So dumb, and they should pay for it. I bought the car, not a funnel for my cash. Amirightbro?

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    Sorry, but just the THOUGHT that something like this could pass is frightening.

Guess I'm back to winning the lotto and buying an island to live on.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Think this is frightening, wait till they try to pass a law outlawing the constitution as outdated.

You'll be worse off than you could ever imagine.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Think this is frightening, wait till they try to pass a law outlawing the constitution as outdated.

You'll be worse off than you could ever imagine.

This is indeed a scary thought that quite a few "Progressives" have been quoted alluding to in the press.

One particularly scary link I found:

Constitution's Anti-Democratic, Outdated Values in Need of Purge | NewAmerica.net

Some people don't understand that we don't live in a democracy, we live in a republic. Democracy's are transient forms of government that generally wind up in dictatorship or oligarchy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPwnFt_m-RE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGL8CiUtXF0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7cY7LfMSbk&feature=related

Last edited:
    Top Bottom