• ...and so much more!
  • Pitmaster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    Stupid, Stupid, Stupid.

Oak Park is nationally prominent as having joined Chicago to defend its total handgun ban in the MC Donald suit. Recently, Oak Park handed out whistles to help fight crime. Join in Oak park's efforts and sing along!-

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/w...0,5280002.story

chicagotribune.com
    Oak Park crime: Police pass out whistles to help residents fight back
    Jump in burglaries and robberies prompts giveaway
    By Victoria Pierce

Special to the Tribune

December 9, 2009

Thousands of Oak Park residents are being equipped with a simple device to help fight crime in the village.

Police are passing out whistles that they are urging citizens to blow if they are victims of or witnesses to a crime.

Officers distributed hundreds of the shiny whistles at two stations along the CTA's Green Line in Oak Park on Friday and will be passing out more Wednesday along the Blue Line. Giveaways elsewhere are expected to take place in the weeks ahead.

"We think they are going to go quick," said Oak Park Police Cmdr. Keenan Williams.

The village conducted a similar program in the 1980s, and Police Chief Rick Tanksley earlier this year suggested bringing it back after statistics showed that burglaries and robberies were on the rise.

Cell phones are often taken during robberies, leaving a victim without a means to quickly call the police. But if a victim or witness to the crime blows the whistle it is hoped someone within earshot will call 911 and report the incident immediately, Williams said.

The village had about 3,000 whistles delivered at a cost of about 50 cents each, he said. The cost was paid by Community Bank, whose logo is on the side of each whistle. If this first round of giveaways is a success, Williams will seek more sponsors, he said.

Commuters at the Oak Park Avenue station Friday seemed to think the low-tech approach was a good idea.

"I would use it," said Charlotte Niznik of Oak Park, who witnessed two thefts on the "L" in recent days. "It's a universal signal."

Thelma Varnado of Oak Park said she planned to put her whistle on her key chain.

"I think it will make a difference," Varnado said. "If people use it and are aware, I think it can be a deterrent."

But not everyone thought using whistles for crime fighting was a great idea.

"I think it's kind of a waste," said Tom Jablonski of Oak Park, who thought the sound of whistles blowing wouldn't have much of an impact because people might think it's just a child's toy.

Officers are willing to take that chance in hopes that ultimately they will help stop a crime and empower residents, Williams said.

Officers likely will visit senior citizens buildings soon to distribute the whistles to those who may be most vulnerable to crime, Williams said.

For more information about the whistle program, call 708-386-3800 or e-mail police@oak-park.us.

Copyright © 2009, Chicago Tribune

Please click on this YouTube video and sing along with these lyrics to fight crime Oak Park style!-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG1luAn1VX4...feature=related

I WHISTLE A HAPPY TUNE lyrics

Whenever I feel afraid
    I hold my head erect
    And whistle a happy tune
    So no one will suspect
    I'm afraid.

While shivering in my shoes
    I strike a careless pose
    And whistle a happy tune
    And no one ever knows
    I'm afraid.

The result of this deception
    Is very strange to tell
    For when I fool the people
    I fear I fool myself as well!

I whistle a happy tune
    And ev'ry single time
    The happiness in the tune
    Convinces me that I'm not afraid.

Make believe you're brave
    And the trick will take you far.
    You may be as brave
    As you make believe you are

You may be as brave
    As you make believe you are

(but I wish I had my 45 then I would'nt have to whistle)

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Well the Illinois State Police website suggests that women should vomit on their attackers to I suppose that Oak Park suggesting people whistle to stop crime makes just about as much sense. Still, I think I'd rather have a Kazoo. Maybe even start a Kazoo band with other victims. Of course, that presumes the robbers don't steal my Kazoo!

WabashMX5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Whistles? Whistles?!

At least if they handed out accordions, you might clobber a bad guy over the head with it....

But really -- whistles?!

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    You are right......except it's not the whistles that are stupid, it's the state laws on the RTKBA.

I have used whistles directing traffic and it definitly gets attentions better and faster than any other method. I think if they aren't going to allow them to carry then the whistles are at least something. Way way short of what they should be doing, but still better than nothing.

:dunno:

Except the whistles will probably be used by drug dealers to let the whole neighborhood that the Po-Po is around and also distracting them from seeing what is reall going on.

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    When I saw the headline I said to myself - I bet it's whistles. Heaven forbid they let a citizen have a real tool for defending themselves.

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    I can see police being called to every sporting event. Then some happy-go-lucky guy is just walking around whistling and gets arrested for whistling when a crime isn't being committed. And would this make it ok for people to carry around air horns?

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    I think that everyone who gets a whistle should just start blowing them over and over again. Then when the police get tired of responding to a MWAW (Man With a Whistle) call, they maybe they will reform their draconian firearms laws. I find it hilarious that these morons call themselves legislators...

INGunGuy

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    A stun gun, baton, pepper spray, or knife all seem like better solutions than blowing a whistle while you are getting mauled by some thug.

Those things are probably banned too though.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If I read correctly the wistles have a sponsor with their logo on them. So, the city can launch a crime prevention program at no cost, and the sponsor gets great advertisment. Positive publicity without the need to change anything. At least it is not another gun buy back.

dailylc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Evansville
    So when the crossing guard blows her whistle, you have to question if there is a cime in progess or she is just doing her job. Great idea!

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    So when the crossing guard blows her whistle, you have to question if there is a cime in progess or she is just doing her job. Great idea!

Or what about a the local youth basketball or football game? I'm guessing there could be a lot false 911 calls generated by that. But then again, maybe there is a crime wistle ban on all school property. That would prevent people from accidentally calling 911 for a potential crime and / or prevent the game from being accidentally interrupted because someone saw a crime and blew the wistle.

[sarcasm] That kinda makes sense, right? A lot of other states don't allow people to carry their crime fighting tools on school property? :n00b: [/sarcasm]

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Or what about a the local youth basketball or football game?

referee.jpg

lumpy39us

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    This reminds me of when the car alarm became popular. Windy days, just bumping into a vehicle, eventually the only one concerned with the alarm was the owner. I had some one attack, well at least thats how it appeared to me, my wife one day. Anyways I heard arguing coming from my drive way, went out and joe dude raised clenched fists and advanced on my wife. So I applied a choke hold from the rear, with out choking, pulling up on the chin neck to provide mass discomfort. I held till joe dude calmed down and let em go. Police were called, they said they could have arrested me. I now wish I had a whistle that day, I could have blown it while watched my wife get the crap beat outta her. Next time I'll choke the lights outta them, then I'll get my whistle! Funny I can't defend my wife on my property, lol.

Top Bottom