• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fundy87

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2013
    Southern Indy
    Looks like a lot of us are going to be criminals overnight, maybe thats the point.
    I just hope people aren't blowing this off because, "well, doesnt sound like it affects me, so I don't care."
    It starts with one, then spreads. Protect your vets, protect your countrymen.

dirtybird

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2015
    Morgan Co.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Ummm...it's already illegal for anyone convicted of misdemeanor domestic violence to possess firearms. And if someone has been adjudicated at mentally incompetent or committed they're already forbidden firearms in most states. Something's not jibing here. Are they going to make them extra-super illegal?

Domestic Violence Offender Gun Ban - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How about making a mere accusation, not a conviction, not even just a charge, grounds to forever ban gun ownership?
    Imagine a disgruntled neighbor who claimed that he saw or only heard "something," the authorities are dispatched, investigate and find out it the "horrific scream" turned out to be nothing more than you just playing a prank by scaring your wife, write a report, which in turn is now classified as "justifiable" reason to deny gun ownership.
    Farfetched?
    Yep, but there is plenty going on currently that would have been considered totally out of bounds a mere six years ago.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I wouldn't bet too heavily on the idea that "he's on his way out". He has clearly shown that he has no use whatsoever for the accepted rules and customs of the United States. Think Congress could stop him if he decided to declare a national emergency and martial law and suspend the election?

Do you think the Clinton Foundation would let him get away with that? (Maybe a slight tinge of purple implied, but only a slight tinge.)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    To All,

I was going to just kneejerk respond without reading the article, but after thinking about decided that would be unfair to the OP who went to the trouble of posting it in the first place. So I was going to read the article, learn the details, then make a hopefully rational, logical, reasonable post in response.

After reading the article I find myself still in the dark. It says extremely little and seems to be a "let's poke the hornets nest" piece without any information.

The article gave two (2) vague facts:

#1) The regulation would make it illegal for "someone who has been convicted of a misdemeanor domestic violence offense to own a gun."
    #2) The ATF is looking to prohibit the mentally ill from owning firearms.

That's it, and with that no details as to any forms of appeal, which may or may not coalesce. There is no evidence to suggest that there wouldn't be an appeals process for people. Nor is there any evidence to suggest there would be an appeals process. Simply put, lots of guessing with no real facts to intelligently discuss.

In other words, the story could have been condensed into "Thar commin' ta git yer guns!!! Panic! Scream! Run around like a chicken wit yer head chopped off!" I think that would have about covered it while saving space and we could have had the same results.

I shall wait for further details before trying to weigh in.

Regards,

Doug

PS - The gun manufacturers and ammo makers must really love stories like this!

It's click bait. So many ads it loads like I'm on dial up.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Ummm...it's already illegal for anyone convicted of misdemeanor domestic violence to possess firearms. And if someone has been adjudicated at mentally incompetent or committed they're already forbidden firearms in most states. Something's not jibing here. Are they going to make them extra-super illegal?

Domestic Violence Offender Gun Ban - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes already illegal. The fear with this administration is that the threshold for a domestic violence conviction becomes much lower, opening the door to confiscations and lifetime bans for petty reasons under the guise of domestic violence.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It's illegal for those convicted....

Now they are pushing for those accused.

Wife accuses you...... take the gun.
    No need for a trial.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    We already returned the wrong result on gun control after Newtown, why risk having the will of the people thwart this Administration's plans again?

If this is true is anyone actually surprised? First immigration 'reform', now this from the POTUS who has issued the most Presidential Memorandum of any President and now he is using the same tactics to erode the Constitution

fTwfaNM.png

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    We already returned the wrong result on gun control after Newtown, why risk having the will of the people thwart this Administration's plans again?

If this is true is anyone actually surprised? First immigration 'reform', now this from the POTUS who has issued the most Presidential Memorandum of any President and now he is using the same tactics to erode the Constitution

fTwfaNM.png

Obama's done lots of boneheaded crap, but he's not even close on executive orders. Bash him for the real things he's done, not made up, talk radio BS.

Every President?s Executive Orders In One Chart | FiveThirtyEight

What's the difference between "memoranda" and "executive orders"? Are we measuring the same thing?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Obama's done lots of boneheaded crap, but he's not even close on executive orders. Bash him for the real things he's done, not made up, talk radio BS.

It's not the numnber of executive orders, but the nature of those orders.
    Get back with me when you can point to another president directly and deliberately subverting immigration law.
    That is but one example of President Phone & Pen.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    It's not the numnber of executive orders, but the nature of those orders.
    Get back with me when you can point to another president directly and deliberately subverting immigration law.
    That is but one example of President Phone & Pen.

Then OakRiver should have said that, but he didn't.

....now this from the POTUS who has issued the most Presidential Memorandum of any President and now he is using the same tactics to erode the Constitution

He didn't address the quality of them, and I would be pretty certain that FDR made vastly more egregious orders than Obama or the others.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN

Good thing I said Presidential Memoranda, and not Executive Orders. Which are not one in the same; Obama issues 'executive orders by another name'

And USAToday is "talk radio BS" now?

They're the same, just called different things by different people.
    They are not

What's the difference between "memoranda" and "executive orders"? Are we measuring the same thing?
    They are different, as detailed in the link above.
    "Like executive orders, presidential memoranda don't require action by Congress. They have the same force of law as executive orders and often have consequences just as far-reaching. And some of the most significant actions of the Obama presidency have come not by executive order but by presidential memoranda. . . Obama has made prolific use of memoranda despite his own claims that he's used his executive power less than other presidents. "The truth is, even with all the actions I've taken this year, I'm issuing executive orders at the lowest rate in more than 100 years," Obama said in a speech in Austin last July. "So it's not clear how it is that Republicans didn't seem to mind when President Bush took more executive actions than I did."Obama has issued 195 executive orders as of Tuesday. Published alongside them in the Federal Register are 198 presidential memoranda — all of which carry the same legal force as executive orders."
    They are separate categories.

Then OakRiver should have said that, but he didn't.
    I meant exactly what I said. This current President has issued more presidential memorandum than any other President. Executive Orders are a separate category. I did not speak of those.
    "He's already signed 33% more presidential memoranda in less than six years than Bush did in eight. He's also issued 45% more than the last Democratic president, Bill Clinton, who assertively used memoranda to signal what kinds of regulations he wanted federal agencies to adopt."

Top Bottom