• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Brilliant example of the intelligence (or lack thereof) of the average American. I won't pretend that I had a clue what a keynesian was before clicking that link but I know the difference between that word and Kenyan. Had they put the mic in front of me and asked me that question I would have asked for a definition of the word before rambling on like a moron.

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    wow, ill be the first to admit that i had never heard that word before and therefore did not know what it meant. but with that being said. i can clearly read that it doesnt say kenyan.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    The woman in the red jacket was gonna blow a gasket. Probably would have when pointed out she doesn't know what the heck she's talking about.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0nERTFo-Sk&feature=fvw]YouTube - "Fear the Boom and Bust" a Hayek vs. Keynes Rap Anthem[/ame]

But I have to admit up until the past couple of years I didn't know squat about economics other than household. And I still know squat, but I'm working on it.

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Just not so much money that it bankrupts us forever...

I am having trouble thinking of a situation where it makes sense for the government to arbitrarily print monopoly money and set interest rates at 0% when the market is calling for a deflationary correction and increased savings. Printing money lowers the value of the currency and undermines savings, the opposite of what is needed to let the problem fix itself.

Oh right, the government can and should fix anything! Weeeee!

The woman in the red jacket was gonna blow a gasket. Probably would have when pointed out she doesn't know what the heck she's talking about.

I would have really liked to see their reactions once they were told what Keynesian actually means.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    "The Man Show" did something similar. They had a petition to end "Women's Sufferage" and got about 200 women to sign it.

words are fun

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO

The delicious irony is how she was railing against everyone else's stupidity.

Another characteristic I've noticed on the left. People who have only the barest understanding of politics, but who think they're very smart about it, and that people on the right are all stupid. I've had many discussions where a person who started out all superior and condescending is reduced to a red-faced, angry babbling idiot, when all I've done is ask polite questions and point out the inconsistencies in their answers.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    The delicious irony is how she was railing against everyone else's stupidity.

Another characteristic I've noticed on the left. People who have only the barest understanding of politics, but who think they're very smart about it, and that people on the right are all stupid. I've had many discussions where a person who started out all superior and condescending is reduced to a red-faced, angry babbling idiot, when all I've done is ask polite questions and point out the inconsistencies in their answers.
    I'm sure the mohawk doesn't hurt either. :D

match14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    South Central IN.
    I was pretty shocked when I saw that video even thought it was very funny in a depressing sort of way. I may have learned about Keynsian economics during highschool, but I definitly did in college. I was surprised so few people could recognize that there is a difference between Kenyan and Keynsian.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    We definitely go about teaching economics in HS the WRONG way.

Economics is the study of incentives based on evidence data. Why did X do Y. What factors could we change to make X do Z. Did X cause Y, or is it just a coincidence? Things like that. It should be entirely philosophical. No need to get into any number crunching aside from basic statistics.

Macro economic theory is all that really needs to be taught. When you start to get into the minutia of micro economics and venutre into accounting you'll even see my eyes glaze over.

Top Bottom