• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The officer in his police report stated that he told Gates that if he wanted to discuss it further to come outside. That is a trap.

Bingo!:D

The DA wisely decided not to prosecute, but the sky over Cambridge will be legal pad yellow for some time to come.

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    This kind of thing makes me so mad I could spit! The man was acting like a complete imbusile and is glorified by the President??? Who the h-e-double-hockey-sticks is in charge here?!?!?!?! :xmad:

A Director at Harvard and the President of the United States have no business what-so-ever even UTTERING the word "racist". If they want so badly to bridge the gap between the races, then why in samhill are they so quick to jump to racist conclusions? Friggin Hypocrits is all they are!!!!

Geeze this kind of thing really rubs me raw! :xmad::xmad::xmad: Why can't people just be responsible, accountable, and civilized?

Drama drama drama! :puke::drama:

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Cop who arrested black scholar is profiling expert

By DENISE LAVOIE, Associated Press Writer Denise Lavoie, Associated Press Writer – 16 mins ago
    CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The white police sergeant criticized by President Barack Obama for arresting black scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr. in his Massachusetts home is a police academy expert on racial profiling.
    Cambridge Sgt. James Crowley has taught a class on racial profiling for five years at the Lowell Police Academy after being hand-picked for the job by former police Commissioner Ronny Watson, who is black, said Academy Director Thomas Fleming.
    "I have nothing but the highest respect for him as a police officer. He is very professional and he is a good role model for the young recruits in the police academy," Fleming told The Associated Press on Thursday.
    The course, called "Racial Profiling," teaches about different cultures that officers could encounter in their community "and how you don't want to single people out because of their ethnic background or the culture they come from," Fleming said.
    Obama has said the Cambridge officers "acted stupidly" in arresting Gates last week when they responded to his house after a woman reported a suspected break-in.
    Crowley, 42, has maintained he did nothing wrong and has refused to apologize, as Gates has demanded.
    Crowley responded to Gates' home near Harvard University last week to investigate a report of a burglary and demanded Gates show him identification. Police say Gates at first refused, flew into a rage and accused the officer of racism.
    Gates was charged with disorderly conduct. The charge was dropped Tuesday.
    Gates' supporters maintain his arrest was a case of racial profiling. Officers were called to the home by a woman who said she saw "two black males with backpacks" trying to break in the front door. Gates has said he arrived home from an overseas trip and the door was jammed.
    Obama was asked about the arrest of Gates, who is his friend, at the end of a nationally televised news conference on health care Wednesday night.
    "I think it's fair to say, No. 1, any of us would be pretty angry," Obama said. "No. 2, that the Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting somebody when there was already proof that they were in their own home. And No. 3 — what I think we know separate and apart from this incident — is that there is a long history in this country of African-Americans and Latinos being stopped by law enforcement disproportionately, and that's just a fact."
    In radio interviews Thursday morning, Crowley maintained he followed procedure.
    "I support the president of the United States 110 percent. I think he was way off base wading into a local issue without knowing all the facts as he himself stated before he made that comment," Crowley told WBZ-AM. "I guess a friend of mine would support my position, too."
    Crowley did not immediately respond to messages left Thursday by the AP. The Cambridge police department scheduled a news conference for later Thursday.
    Gates has said he was "outraged" by the arrest. He said the white officer walked into his home without his permission and only arrested him as the professor followed him to the porch, repeatedly demanding the sergeant's name and badge number because he was unhappy over his treatment.
    "This isn't about me; this is about the vulnerability of black men in America," Gates said.
    He said the incident made him realize how vulnerable poor people and minorities are "to capricious forces like a rogue policeman, and this man clearly was a rogue policeman."
    The president said federal officials need to continue working with local law enforcement "to improve policing techniques so that we're eliminating potential bias."
    Fellow officers, black and white, say Crowley is well-liked and respected on the force. Crowley was a campus police officer at Brandeis University in July 1993 when he administered CPR trying to save the life of former Boston Celtics player Reggie Lewis. Lewis, who was black, collapsed and died during an off-season workout.
    Gov. Deval Patrick, who is black, said he was troubled and upset over the incident. Cambridge Mayor Denise Simmons, who also is black, has said she spoke with Gates and apologized on behalf of the city, and a statement from the city called the July 16 incident "regrettable and unfortunate."
    The mayor refused Thursday to comment on the president's remarks.
    Police supporters charge that Gates, director of Harvard's W.E.B. Du Bois Institute for African and African American Research, was responsible for his own arrest by overreacting.
    Black students and professors at Harvard have complained for years about racial profiling by Cambridge and campus police. Harvard commissioned an independent committee last year to examine the university's race relations after campus police confronted a young black man who was using tools to remove a bike lock. The man worked at Harvard and owned the bike.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    "While I was led to believe that Gates was lawfully in the residence, I was quite surprised and confused with the behavior he exhibited toward me," Crowley said, according to the report.
    Gates said that although the ordeal had upset him, "I would do the same thing exactly again."
    Would do exactly the same thing again? Wow. Okay, so, this guy, Gates, is being a jerk, but Crowley would still goad him into a situation just so he could assert his powers over Gates by arresting him?

That's right, Sgt. Crowley! You show the public who's boss! Criminals will tremble at the sound of your name! Children will run into their homes as you cruise the streets! Only one man dare wield the awesome power of the law, and that man is Sgt. Crowley! You're right, and everyone who stands in your way or talks loudly in your presence will feel the wrath of your badge!

Not a video of this particular incident, but a thought-provoking presentation. Feel free to skip to 1min 32sec. There's also a video at 5min 30sec of some officers attempting to get an individual, who is doing nothing wrong, into a situation where they can arrest him.
    YouTube - John Harris - It's an illusion Part 2/5

JR50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Significantly North of Rt. 30

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Gates playing the race card is beyond the pale but I don't agree with disorderly conduct being a crime. It is purely subjective. There is a reason he wanted him outside of the house. I'm not sure following him into the house without permission is right either buy if gates had told the officer that he would be back in a second with the id, he may not have followed him in.

I can't say either one was right or wrong. If it had been a man with a gun call, most of you would side with the citizen and not the cop.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Even if the police officer is lucky enough to have race removed from any analysis of his actions, he still is facing a big fat federal civil rights lawsuit for false arrest. It is not going to go well for the city and the officer.

waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    based on this profs belligerent behavior, any cop would seem to have the right to restrain him. Im wondering how the cop even came into his house, was he invited in? did he have a right to enter the house because a robbery was reported? I surely wouldnt have let any cop inside without a warrant.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Sgt. Crowely is screwed. In my opinion he arrested the man because he was embarrassed in front of his peers. Really? the acoustics in the house were bad? BS! Was the guy a RICHARD? Sure sounds like it, but that isn't a reason to be arrested. He was in his own house, as soon as Sgt. Crowely ascertained that the call wasn't a burglary he should have left.

Agree. Even if the guying was being an ace the officers should have left once they confirmed it was the guys residance. Sometimes you need to pick your battles. :patriot:

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Agree. Even if the guying was being an ace the officers should have left once they confirmed it was the guys residance. Sometimes you need to pick your battles. :patriot:
    I don't see in the report where the officer ever confirmed anything other than that the guy worked for Harvard.

Plague421

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Portage
    Would do exactly the same thing again? Wow. Okay, so, this guy, Gates, is being a jerk, but Crowley would still goad him into a situation just so he could assert his powers over Gates by arresting him?

That's right, Sgt. Crowley! You show the public who's boss! Criminals will tremble at the sound of your name! Children will run into their homes as you cruise the streets! Only one man dare wield the awesome power of the law, and that man is Sgt. Crowley! You're right, and everyone who stands in your way or talks loudly in your presence will feel the wrath of your badge!

Not a video of this particular incident, but a thought-provoking presentation. Feel free to skip to 1min 32sec. There's also a video at 5min 30sec of some officers attempting to get an individual, who is doing nothing wrong, into a situation where they can arrest him.
    YouTube - John Harris - It's an illusion Part 2/5

Ok I agree with you about being "lured" into a situation where you are violating the law, that's not right. However just because said person is naive enough to do it doesn't make me feel sorry for them. I don't recall reading about the officers dragging him out of his home and then arresting him. He came out and continued to be disorderly on his own free will. Therefore was infact in violation.

The officer didn't say "hey why dont you come yell at me like that in the front yard" did he? Still dont feel sorry for him and I stand by the officer.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    One thing I find disturbing is the trend of many people here to respect the INSIDE of a persons home but careless about the rest of his property.

Taking race out of the question, once the cop realized that gates was the home owner he should have said "sorry for the misunderstanding, have a nice day" and gotten the off of the mans property. PERIOD.

The cops should have left, even IF gates was taunting them a bit. It's gate's home and property. The cops have NO RIGHT to be there. The cops are CAUSING THE PROBLEM with their unwanted presence.

Based on the two sides agreeing that "gates did identify himself" every event transpiring after that puts the cop(s) in the wrong for still being there. They should have left.

If the cop did answer his question as to the cops name twice, he should have got in his cruiser and drove away. Instead you have two LITTLE MEN trying to prove who the bigger man is.

Considering the officer didn't have sense enough to clear out once he realized he had no lawful authority to be on the property.... I say suspend him w/o pay for a week or two... or charge him with disorderly conduct and trespassing.

"Ignorance of the law" is no excuse. As to gates? Liberal scum bag from what I can tell.... but he can be a liberal scum bag all he wants on his own property.

Property Rights. It's what this country is all about.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I don't see in the report where the officer ever confirmed anything other than that the guy worked for Harvard.

You do understand this is America still (sort of) right? We don't have to carry around 'papers' everywhere we go, let alone in our own homes. :dunno:

Usually it's pretty easy to figure out who is who in this sort of situation. Granted not every case is clear cut, but from the way the cop handled it from the start, the cop seemed to have realized that gates probably wasn't a burglar.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Even if the police officer is lucky enough to have race removed from any analysis of his actions, he still is facing a big fat federal civil rights lawsuit for false arrest. It is not going to go well for the city and the officer.

I keep hearing this. Hasn't it occurred to anyone that the officer has at least as good a claim, probably a better one, against Gates? Gates is a professional racist, and is profitting handsomely in terms of attention which he'll parlay into money, from calling Cowley a racist. A defamation claim, particularly given the caliber of folks speaking up for Cowley, has an excellent chance of being successful. A complaint against Gates... not nearly as clear cut.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Quote:
    "While I was led to believe that Gates was lawfully in the residence, I was quite surprised and confused with the behavior he exhibited toward me," Crowley said, according to the report.
    Quote:
    Gates said that although the ordeal had upset him, "I would do the same thing exactly again."

That's right, Sgt. Crowley! You show the public who's boss!
    Ummm reread your quotes. It is GATES who said he would do the same thing EXACTLY again.
    What does that make him? He knows there was a reported break-in, he knows the Police officer is just doing his job. Yet he would still call the man a racist repeatedly and play victim immediately. Face it he saw an opportunity and took full advantage of it. He played it out to it's conclusion on purpose. I think it's time for Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton to retire, because they have nothing on the NEW Racial Exploiter in Chief, Barrak Obama.

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    When is a someone (a black man preferably) going to stand up and say that Gates shouldn't have flown off the handle by immediately screaming "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS TO BLACK MEN IN AMERICA!" to the LEO's simple question, "May I see some ID"?

Mr. Obama would have come off more respectably if he attributed some of the blame to the way Mr. Gates reacted to the officer's presence.

Personally, I believe the LEO would have asked the same exact question if Gates were a white man under the circumstance.

If you haven't read the actual police report filed by the two officers, you should; it's on the web as a .pdf file.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Bill Cosby ’shocked’ at Obama’s statement on Harvard prof’s arrest

By Jimmy Orr | 07.23.09

On a Boston radio program this morning, Bill Cosby suggested that President Obama spoke too soon on the controversial arrest of Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates.
    “I’ve heard about five different reports [on the details of the arrest],” Cosby said on Boston’s WZLX. “If I’m the president of the United States, I don’t care how much pressure people want to put on it about race, I’m keeping my mouth shut.”
    “I was shocked to hear the president making this kind of statement,” Cosby said referring to the president’s remarks during last night’s press conference.
    The comedian appeared to have dialed his comments back a bit in a later interview on Boston’s FOX 25 television station. Cosby cautioned those from coming up with their own conclusions, but gave the president some leeway.
    “People who have not been there, people who don’t know are beginning to have their own personal feelings, but they weren’t there,” Cosby said.
    “Does this include the president?” asked the FOX25 reporter.
    “It includes everybody,” Cosby said. “[But] I would have to take into consideration that he lived in Cambridge for some time so he may know more than he’s saying about situations of that sort,” Cosby said.
    To listen to the entire interview on WZLX, click here.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    You do understand this is America still (sort of) right? We don't have to carry around 'papers' everywhere we go, let alone in our own homes. :dunno:

Usually it's pretty easy to figure out who is who in this sort of situation. Granted not every case is clear cut, but from the way the cop handled it from the start, the cop seemed to have realized that gates probably wasn't a burglar.
    Ah. So if I were ever to be unfortunate enough to be a victim of burglary, and had a neighbor alert and caring enough to call 911, I should take solace in the fact that responding officers were "led to believe" the guy they found in my home was the homeowner and just left? Maybe he was indignant and flashed a Burger King namebadge?

We will never know how the situation may have unfolded if Dr. Gates had said something like, "Yes this is my house, here's my driver's license. Thanks for making sure this neighborhood stays safe." I can't imagine that it would have ended like this, though.

Top Bottom