• ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Gender-Change we can believe in? :dunno:

President Obama Appoints Amanda Simpson, a Transgender Woman, to Commerce Post

1262632855254.JPEG

(Jan. 4) -- President Barack Obama has selected Amanda Simpson as a senior technical adviser to the Department of Commerce, making her the first transgender appointment of his administration.

"I'm truly honored to have received this appointment and am eager and excited about this opportunity that is before me," Simpson said in a news release posted at the National Center for Transgender Equality's Web site. "And at the same time, as one of the first transgender presidential appointees to the federal government, I hope that I will soon be one of hundreds, and that this appointment opens future opportunities for many others."

Simpson has worked for over 30 years in the defense and aerospace industries, most notably at Raytheon, the news release said. A former military test pilot with degrees in physics, engineering and business administration, Simpson was named a "Woman on the Move," by the YWCA in 2004, and received Arizona's Human Rights Foundation Individual Award in 2005.

Simpson was the first transgender person to win a primary election when she became the Democratic nominee running for a seat in the U.S. House of Representatives in Tucson. She later lost her bid to become the first transgender member of Congress. In 2002, she made the transition from male to female, undergoing gender reassignment surgery while at Raytheon.

"Amanda is incredibly smart and capable," said Mara Keisling, executive director for the National Center for Transgender Equality, where Simpson has served as member of the board of directors for the past three years. "This was a merit-based appointment. What's significant about it is that we finally have an administration in which being transgender isn't a disqualifying factor for a job."

Appearing in a television forum in 2008, Simpson detailed her own experience as a transgender woman:
    YouTube - Transgender Realities Part 3

zip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    If she can do the job. I don't see why the gender reassignment surgery should be an issue.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I find this very disturbing... several issues will come up, like...what bathroom will Pat use? :rolleyes:

There's no real story here, unless Cory fails, then we should rip Jordan apart and the only reason Terry couldn't do the job, was because some physical surgery Kelly made years ago.

Mostly satire... But Yes there is a joke in there, can you find it :D

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I could care less if she has three heads and both sets of reproductive organs.

Maybe she's competent, maybe she's not.

I can nit pick every trivial Obama decision as a matter of personal discontent - but that would be simply childish.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I just think it is diversity for diversity's sake.

Having a sex-change shouldn't disqualify you from a job. But it shouldn't be something that gives you an "extra leg up" against the 99.999999% of candidates who still have the body parts they were born with.

Ten dollars says The Administration was actively seeking a trans-sexual candidate.

Last edited:

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I'm sure there were no OTHER candidates qualified that have the plumbing they were born with. Sorry but I don't fall into the "it's OK to change sex crowd" or the "anything goes crowd". Call me old fashioned, close minded, a dumbass, or whatever you want, but I don't think it should be celebrated or rewarded for this type of behaviour.

Flame on. (Pun intended)

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Actively seeking? Maybe.

Saying "Look what we found!!!" when they saw her resume --you bettcha!

This is the best answer I've read so far. It sounds like the person has a lot of qualifications but the article focused on transgender more than why that person should get the job.

CulpeperMM

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I'm sure there were no OTHER candidates qualified that have the plumbing they were born with. Sorry but I don't fall into the "it's OK to change sex crowd" or the "anything goes crowd". Call me old fashioned, close minded, a dumbass, or whatever you want, but I don't think it should be celebrated or rewarded for this type of behaviour.

Flame on. (Pun intended)
    +1

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN

Flame on. (Pun intended)

Agreed. let the freaks hang out in their freak bars and dark holes.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    A former military test pilot with degrees in physics, engineering and business administration
    Seems to have good qualifications. I have to assume that her politics are similar to the ruling regimes so that would be a downtick, but I see nothing to disqualify her. She's no weirder than any number of other people on any side of the spectrum.

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    Sounds like she/he is qualified. I don't have a problem with anyone as long as they can do their job. But, whats trangendered? Is that Post-Op? Pre-Op taking hormones? It's so confusing.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Sounds like she/he is qualified. I don't have a problem with anyone as long as they can do their job. But, whats trangendered? Is that Post-Op? Pre-Op taking hormones? It's so confusing.

In this case I think post-op. From the article

In 2002, she made the transition from male to female, undergoing gender reassignment surgery while at Raytheon.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009

i agree, if she is qualified for the job, that should be the only praise associated with her appointment. Any other time you were to point out that she's a transgender, it's labeled as discrimination, but if some othe transgender person brags about it, it's ok. I just don't think it needs to be an issue. Why do these advocacy groups even bring it up? why not just be applauded for her credentials? I guess I don't get it.

If I run for a public office and get elected, will the headline read, "White male who enjoys relations with women elected as public official!"

I hate society these days, political correctness. I just don't get it.

"Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their *** off to be productive and a benefit to this great American Dream." -Ted Nugent

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    Given the Obamatard's track record of political appointees... I'm bettin' she paid for her reassignment surgery with the money she saved by evading federal income taxes. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom