• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Would like to find a decent priced OBD II scanner for personal use. With the new laws (no clearing codes @ local auto parts store anymore) and wanting to find out sooner / faster, and THEN testing fix and scanning again, it seems reasonable to need / want my own scan tool.

What can I find to do basic OBD II scans and be able to erase factory codes? I don't need some $200+ reader, I jsut need a basic DIY set-up.

Thanks

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Oh boy -
    What are these laws you're talking about? Why am I always the last one to hear? :(

I struck gold on Ebay years ago with an Actron Elite CP9185 and all the accessories. Got it for next to nothing and at that time I think it was going for hundreds of bucks. It has never failed me on all the cars I've scanned. Including resetting a whole bunch of "check engine" lights.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Pretty much any model of the AutoXray scanners. They can be had cheap on ebay. Last one I picked up for a friend was like $35 shipping and all and it was new in the hard case. Ive had my Xray for quite a few years. I actually bought a display model on ebay and then after about 3 year traded it in for a newer model and just had to pay an upgrade price. THey are very good about tradeup deals.

danimal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Unincorporated Lake County
    I forget where I got mine, but I picked up a scanner that connects through bluetooth and not only allows you to read+clear codes, but also can output several of the onboard sensors to various diagnostic/performance apps. Think I paid < $50 for it.

heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    The "law" I keep hearing about is basically local auto parts store can read codes, but no longer clear codes. Something about used vehicles and basically people trying to hide issues by clearing codes then immediatly selling them etc. Maybe it's just BS but the places I have had codes read have NOT been able to / allowed to clear codes (over a year now or more).

jlupacch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    I received a Kiwi Bluetooth one for Christmas. Connects to an Android phone. There are several apps that work with it, some are free. It will display all sorts of info depending on the app you use. Clears codes as well. Works great. PLX Devices Inc - USA Available from Amazon.com. I think there is a version compatible with the iPhone as well.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Think I bought mine from Autozone several years ago for about $35ish.

It's cheap, not intuitive, needs the paper manual to get you through a scan, but it works well and I've scanned several dozens of cars.

I had a nicer scanner that I spent a couple hundred on. Don't recall the brand. It got stolen, so I bought the cheapo.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm interested in the bluetooth/android devices. They seem oddly inexpensive?

Maybe this "new Law" in similar to the lifetime LTCH going away?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The best OBDII scanner I've ever bought was a $25 bluetooth dongle that I connect to with my Android phone using a $5 app called Torque. It beats the pants off of any purpose-built scanner I would buy as a non-mechanic. I can get all sorts of nifty real-time engine data off of it and build displays on my phone or tablet with any number of gauges. When you scan for engine fault codes, if it detects any it will look them up on the internet for you.

Cool feature of Torque: It will do a "reverse" display, so you can put your tablet on your dashboard and it will reflect off the windshield for a poor-man's heads-up display. I don't recommend driving with it, but the idea is pretty cool.

This is the exact dongle I have and it works great. I can leave it plugged in all the time, too.

Last edited:

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I work at Advance Auto Parts. Its company policy to not erase check engine light OBD codes. I've heard its because of the EPA Clean Air Act. Also heard that we can't do it because of most states having emission tests. Indiana is not a state that does emission testing. But I believe it all boils down to liability. The company doesn't want to be held responsible to fix something. And with new car computers requiring flash programming just erasing the code and shutting the check engine light off doesn't actually let the computer know you have fixed the problem.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The best OBDII scanner I've ever bought was a $25 bluetooth dongle that I connect to with my Android phone using a $5 app called Torque. It beats the pants off of any purpose-built scanner I would buy as a non-mechanic. I can get all sorts of nifty real-time engine data off of it and build displays on my phone or tablet with any number of gauges. When you scan for engine fault codes, if it detects any it will look them up on the internet for you.

Cool feature of Torque: It will do a "reverse" display, so you can put your tablet on your dashboard and it will reflect off the windshield for a poor-man's heads-up display. I don't recommend driving with it, but the idea is pretty cool.

This is the exact dongle I have and it works great. I can leave it plugged in all the time, too.

Thanks again for your expertise Scutter.
    Had to have one of these and found an Amazon alternative:
    BAFX Products - Elm 327 Bluetooth OBD 2 Car Code reader / scanner - Android compatible / Elm327 II - Rakuten.com Shopping

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    I know it was a few years ago they made it to where taxi's couldn't get codes cleared because of them using it to get through inspections. I have a code thrown and I've fixed the problem. Can't find my scanner but i'm just gonna un hook the battery and drain the ecu and that'll clear it up.

Whatever you do get a scanner that atleast lets you look at other things other then just the code. It's much nicer and more useful.

VostocK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Here is another vote for a bluetooth O.B.D adapter and the Torque Pro app. For less than $20 it does everything the expensive scanners do and a lot more. Its seriously the best app I've put on my phone. In addition to doing everything a scanner does for less money, it provides a lot of live performance info about your car ( 0-60 / 0-100 times, 1/8 , 1/4 mile times, torque and horsepower peaks and live output etc). Another cool feature is it turns your phone into a dashcam. You can then overlay the live data from your car over the top of the video and the info you chose to overlay is completely customizable . You can check it out here :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu1d61ekmEA

If you have a smartphone its really the only option, and if you don't have one its a good excuse to upgrade ( that and its 2014 FFS ).

Top Bottom