• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UIndyKenneth

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Kokomo, IN
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gIHDHZf1TA"]YouTube - "Obligation of Carry" by Nutnfancy[/ame]

Check this video out. Nutnfancy has caught my eye a lot lately. He reviews plenty of knives, guns, and does demonstrations on his youtube channel. Pretty cool stuff. He does tactical gear reviews as well. All around an awesome guy in my opinion. In this video he talks about the obligation to carry your weapon if you have a concealed carry license.

What are your thoughts about this subject? Do you think Nutnfancy is right when he says people who can carry have an obligation to do so?

Last edited:

floatch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    I don't view it as an obligation, but I can see where he's coming from. I didn't watch this video today, but have seen it before. Nutnfancy seems like a good guy, his reviews are excellent, but I feel his videos ramble on a little too long sometimes.
    Anyway, back on topic: I can see where he's coming from, I like his viewpoint. However, just because a person has a LTCH does not mean that they're suddenly beholden to the general population to defend them against scumbags. In fact, it's perfectly legal to carry a handgun that will never be drawn at all, even if threatened.
    I can't envision a situation in which this might happen, but it's important to remember that even if I'm carrying, I am not a police officer, and am not required to protect the general public.
    Does that make sense?
    Again, I can't come up with a scenario in which I wouldn't drop a bad guy who was threatening or hurting someone else, just that it's a possibility.

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    If you can carry you have the obligation to protect you and your loved ones and if in the process of doing that you can save the lives of others then great! But drawing your weapon and escalating the violence may not always be what is needed to protect. Get life experiences with various people/cultures and know that your brain/judgement is you best and first weapon in a fight!

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Ok he had some really ignorant points if you ask me. I do agree that that to me there is not point oh having a carry permit, if you have no intention of ever carrying. To me it's like buying a high end gun, for it to just sit in your safe. Also where does he 5%, for the amount of people who carry daily come from? Also I carry to protect myself, and my family/friends that may be with me. Now yes in a situation where other peoples lives are in danger. If I can affectively stop a bad situation, without harming myself or others I hope I would do so. I also agree that If you are going to carry, you better know your weapon, you better know how to clear malfunctions, and you better be able to put rounds on target. Or you are better off leaving it at home. I take my gun everywhere, that it is legal to do so. Even if I'm just running somewhere for food. These are uncertain times, and it's better to have and not need. Then need, and not have!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    How about this as a more basic question that gets to the heart of this issue: Do we have a moral obligation to preserve the life of ourselves and others? That's the crux here.

floatch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    Well, what is the current percentage of Americans who have driver's licenses, but no car? It's a good thing to have, just in case you need to drive one day. Don't get me wrong, I own my own car, and drive it daily. I also own two handguns, and carry them frequently. However, having a license does not compel me to drive, nor does having a LTCH compel me to carry.

floatch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    You've got a good point. There is no moral responsibility to drive a car if you're licensed. I don't see a moral responsibility to carry a gun, even if I am licensed. I am morally obligated to protect my loved ones, but not the general populace.
    I actually applied for my lifetime license to protect my family, but the idea of being some kind of sheepdog who looks out for everybody else; no thanks.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I don't carry for fear of my life. I carry because I couldn't live with myself if I were unable to cease hostilities toward others around me...regardless whether they are friends, family, co-workers, or complete strangers.

I carry because I believe it is my duty as a responsible person.

When I look at shootings like Virginia Tech, Columbine, etc...I feel a deep sense of responsibility to equip myself against such occurrences.

Regarding Nutnfancy's stance on frame & caliber sizes; I say carry the largest frame which you'll always carry & the caliber/load for that frame-size which delivers the highest kinetic energy to the bad guy. IMO, it's not about making big holes & hoping he bleeds out 3 minutes after he bludgeons you to death. It's about causing systemic shock which ceases the attack.

Now, I disagree with his stance that if you get your LTCH, you are obligated to always carry. However, I do hold myself to that standard.

Last edited:

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The judgements of what is moral and what is legal are debatable to no end.

In this state, I'm supposed to have a lisence to take my handguns to a firing range. That's primarily why I got the stupid thing.

But since I've had it, I've found myself carrying much more than I thought I would. Not everywhere, but more than trips to the range.

It's much like the reason I keep fire extinguishers in my car, truck, home and office. I know they're not the same, but if you've ever come up on a car fire you know it's a pretty helpless feeling when you can't do anything.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I have a moral obligation to protect my family. No one else. Most everybody has the ability to get their LTCH and carry a gun to protect themselves. They have chosen not to do so, and I don't feel any obligation whatsoever to cover for their lack of foresight, and their failure to carry out what I, personally, see as the duty of all free citizens.

I would, just cause that's the kind of guy I am. But I feel no moral obligation to do so, and will not look down on someone who does not choose to come to the defense of others. Those "others" chose not to protect themselves, they will not be the ones picking up the tab for any legal fees. They will go on about their lives, while whoever pulls the trigger to cover their complacent butts will be getting put through the ringer.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    How about this as a more basic question that gets to the heart of this issue: Do we have a moral obligation to preserve the life of ourselves and others? That's the crux here.

I agree, and I feel like just as I have a moral obligation to help people stuck on the side of the road, I should help those who are victims of crime if possible as well.

I don't carry for fear of my life. I carry because I couldn't live with myself if I were unable to cease hostilities toward others around me...regardless whether they are friends, family, co-workers, or complete strangers.

Ditto. We're all human beings and should be willing to help victims of crime whether they are our personal family/friends or not. Just my :twocents:

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    I completely disagree with the idea that I have an obligation to carry because I have an LTCH.

When you have the right to do something, you inherently have the right not to do it.

They are MY freedoms and I will use them as see fit.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Ok he had some really ignorant points if you ask me. I do agree that that to me there is not point oh having a carry permit, if you have no intention of ever carrying. To me it's like buying a high end gun, for it to just sit in your safe. Also where does he 5%, for the amount of people who carry daily come from? Also I carry to protect myself, and my family/friends that may be with me. Now yes in a situation where other peoples lives are in danger. If I can affectively stop a bad situation, without harming myself or others I hope I would do so. I also agree that If you are going to carry, you better know your weapon, you better know how to clear malfunctions, and you better be able to put rounds on target. Or you are better off leaving it at home. I take my gun everywhere, that it is legal to do so. Even if I'm just running somewhere for food. These are uncertain times, and it's better to have and not need. Then need, and not have!

So what are those ignorant points again?:dunno:

Top Bottom