Observations of a first time gun show attendee (who doesn't like guns)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • k1500

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2013
    West Lafayette
    I took a trip to Chicago and was heading back down I-65 on Saturday morning. There happened to be a gun show in Valparaiso. Since I was sort of “passing by,” I wanted to stop. With me was my non (nearly anti) gun friend. I told him I was going to the show (I was driving) and opted to drop him off at some coffee shop if he wanted. Upon pulling into the fairgrounds, he said “I guess I’ll go in and see what’s going on.” This was a surprise as he already stated that he was going to be “extremely uncomfortable” around all those guns.

I explained what he would see at the door with a gun check and that there would likely be police on hand. I paid for his admission and we went in. He asked what I was looking for and told him I had no specific thing in mind but would consider a Beretta 92FS Inox. He walked more quickly than I did through the aisles and would meet me at the end. At one point, I did show him something similar to what I wanted but not the exact gun. He seemed calm considering I had my hand on a gun.

As we were leaving, he had many gun questions for me that most of us already know. He asked about “gun sellers” being required to have some “test” to verify they can possess guns. I told him many of them were FFL’s which is a license to “possess and sell.” He asked more Q’s about owning/registering guns. I informed him there was no “registry” but he knows I have a LTCH which I further explained.

He gave me his observations:
    It seems the “standard” clothing is some sort of camo or all black outfit. Yep, plenty of those guys around.

It was full of old, white, fat guys. Yep, plenty of them (we aren’t young thin guys ourselves)
    Many people there seemed like they could barely pay their rent and maybe can’t afford anything. I informed him that I was just wearing simple cargo shorts, t-shirt, and inexpensive sneakers. He understood the comparison.

There seemed to be a whole lot of people looking but not a whole lot of people buying. I said people tend to be selective in what they want and many are “just looking” (I was).

The few hot, young women in there seemed to be accompanied by young men full of tattoos.

Then I asked the ultimate question: “Did you feel fear and panic inside?”

Calmly he responded “No.”
    His impression that we “gun people” are all about shooting off our guns anywhere/anytime was invalidated by attending a place PACKED with guns and “gun people.”

k1500

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2013
    West Lafayette
    One addition to this: He was asking about "German companies" who manufacture guns. The name Ruger came up and he said "Yeah, that German company." I informed him it was a US company - Sturm Ruger. Turns how he was thinking of the German Luger...not Ruger.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    t seems the “standard” clothing is some sort of camo or all black outfit. Yep, plenty of those guys around.

Have not noticed this. Perhaps it was near getting colder and guys were wearing Mossy Oak sweatshirts or the like?

Many people there seemed like they could barely pay their rent and maybe can’t afford anything.

He has just described anywhere. Dress codes are relaxed everywhere.

Until the Freeman Hygenic Tests for gun shows are implemented (smell testing, ear/nose hair examinations, no protein consumption for 72 hours, back hair waxing stations, etc.), going to see a lot of this. That is the culture at large, not just the gun culture.

There seemed to be a whole lot of people looking but not a whole lot of people buying. I said people tend to be selective in what they want and many are “just looking” (I was).

Market saturation now until November 2014 if not longer. Now it is a buyer's market. Now is when one should be buying.

The few hot, young women in there seemed to be accompanied by young men full of tattoos.

And this is different from society as a whole how?

Lower the SES the more likely the male will emulate a "bad ass" in order to attract a female. This is true in the culture as a whole as well as any subculture.

Just hang out at the courthouse when you get back to Tippecanoe County. You will see it every hour of every day.

Neck tattoos=necking. If this were not true, they would not have them.

His impression that we “gun people” are all about shooting off our guns anywhere/anytime was invalidated by attending a place PACKED with guns and “gun people.”

Our enemies have the popular culture which is how they act against us. If we are to counter it, we need to project collectively a better image than what we do now.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    179   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Many people there seemed like they could barely pay their rent and maybe can’t afford anything. I informed him that I was just wearing simple cargo shorts, t-shirt, and inexpensive sneakers. He understood the comparison.”

There seem to be a lot of gun people that are fiscally conservative. Many of the "wealthy" in society are not obvious by the way they dress. I know of millionaires that live in very moderate homes, drive average cars & dress conservatively. A great read is "The Millionaire Next Door".

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Can the OP deduct his gas expenses as an "Educational Expense" now?

Good job, maybe your friend will be a little more comfortable around firearms. You might even get him to go to a range with you some day.

KS588

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Nice job on educating your friend. Unfortunately, if people only look to the media for gun education, they will be lacking severely in the truth. I guess this really goes for most knowledge though...

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013

You must have seen my wife and I there :laugh:. You probably would think I'm a low life tattooed idiot by looking at me, but you'd be mistaken.

There seem to be a lot of gun people that are fiscally conservative. Many of the "wealthy" in society are not obvious by the way they dress. I know of millionaires that live in very moderate homes, drive average cars & dress conservatively. A great read is "The Millionaire Next Door".

I fall in this category, as well as a lot of other fiscal conservatives that I know. My wife and I live very moderately, and you'd never know how much we make (we're not the 1% of society, but we do very well). We don't drive expensive frivilous vehicles, we don't dress in flashy expensive clothes, and we don't live in a mansion, although we could.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I fall in this category, as well as a lot of other fiscal conservatives that I know. My wife and I live very moderately, and you'd never know how much we make (we're not the 1% of society, but we do very well). We don't drive expensive frivilous vehicles, we don't dress in flashy expensive clothes, and we don't live in a mansion, although we could.

Isn't it funny how many people there are that have debt and wealth confused with each other?

Top Bottom