• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which day on a weekend would be best for you?

• Total voters

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...You know you will be asked to leave upon entry(sounds errily like denial of entry), as read here, yet enter anyways. :dunno:

I have no reason to believe I would be asked to leave just because it happened to somebody once, even recently.

In fact, that one instance stands in stark contrast to normal Steak and Shake policy and procedure as read on their official letterhead and observed in practice at countless other times and locations.

So I neither know nor have reasonable cause to suspect that this was anything but an odd fluke. I absolutely have not seen any reference to a denial of entry for the public.

Compuvette

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    NE Indiana
    Compuvette - If I continue to go to this particular restaurant with my family as I have in the past while OC, am I now violating the property rights of the restaurant because one person was at one time asked to leave? If one person was asked to leave at one time, how do I know that the property owner wishes to impose that same requirement on all of his patrons? Does that one instance constitute company policy now?

That is the question isn't it. This customer was asked to leave and it was directly related to their OC of a firearm (per the thread). To me it would seem they are not OC friendly.

Compuvette

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    NE Indiana
    I am merely suggesting tactics of persuasion for those who may endeavor to impact another's thinking or actions without violating the law or the other's rights.

Right. Yet you certainly seemed to be applying it as such in earlier posts when you claimed that "2A rights" had been violated and that carry preferences had some connection to the 2A.

Again, if my phrasing was off, I am sorry for that. It would appear however that "you" have a problem with the situation and want to change the manager/owners mind. I say too bad. Their place, their rules. You want to change their mind, have at it. But I think you would be far more effective if you follow the implied rules in place and making your opinion heard than forcing a decision via bringing a group of buddies along and violating implied rules to "make your point".

Why not walk in (empty holsters) with said group and state to the manager than you would like to eat here, but refuse to unless they allow you to carry? Doesn't that meet your desire to "protest" but also respect the property owners wishes? That would clear things up pretty quick.

It would also seem some in this thread want the government to step in and tell property owners in general what their rules have to be. To an extent I agree with that, but it is a slippery slope. Where is the line?

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    That is the question isn't it. This customer was asked to leave and it was directly related to their OC of a firearm (per the thread). To me it would seem they are not OC friendly.

With the abundance of posts about other Steak and Shake locations being OC friendly, as well as correspondence from corporate re: Open Carry, I would have to say that this is not a corporate policy.

Another explanation is that it is a policy unique to this particular location. However, in view of the fact that I have OCed there on several occasions, as well as a few other INGO members, I would say that it is not even a standard policy at this particular location.

The more likely explanation is that the individual was eating at Steak and Shake and someone saw his OC gun. Being anti-gun, they complained to management who may or may not have been having a bad day and was fed up with dealing with complaining patrons. He asked the individual to take the gun outside or leave. Sounds to me like a fluke, not restaurant policy.

It seems to me that you are taking one single situation and equating that to company policy.

Last edited:

Compuvette

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    NE Indiana
    With the abundance of posts about other Steak and Shake locations being OC friendly, as well as correspondence from corporate re: Open Carry, I would have to say that this is not a corporate policy.

Another explanation is that it is a policy unique to this particular location. However, in view of the fact that I have OCed there on several occasions, as well as a few other INGO members, I would say that it is not even a standard policy at this particular location.

The more likely explanation is that the individual was eating at Steak and Shake and someone saw his OC gun. Being anti-gun, they complained to management who may or may not have been having a bad day and was fed up with dealing with complaining patrons. He asked the individual to take the gun outside or leave. Sounds to me like a fluke, not restaurant policy.

It seems to me that you are taking one single situation and equating that to company policy.

Then why all the drama? Why have the meet-up at this particular location?

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    How about contacting the owner of the location if locally owned to find out the location's policy? If it's not, then the manager is likely bound by company policy to allow it (I'm pretty sure someone verified company policy earlier, sorry if I'm wrong). Contact the DM in that case. Just showing up in a flock may be seen as aggressive and not help your cause. Once the manager is pissed off, you may not have another chance to change their mind, as they may try and get the okay from their boss to officially enforce a no guns policy.

If you want them to consider your protest with a professional attitude, protest with a professional attitude.

Because that is the location that appears to have an issue with OC. You wouldn't make any sense to protest at McDonald's for an issue at S&S.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    How about contacting the owner of the location if locally owned to find out the location's policy? If it's not, then the manager is likely bound by company policy to allow it (I'm pretty sure someone verified company policy earlier, sorry if I'm wrong). Contact the DM in that case. Just showing up in a flock may be seen as aggressive and not help your cause. Once the manager is pissed off, you may not have another chance to change their mind, as they may try and get the okay from their boss to officially enforce a no guns policy.

If you want them to consider your protest with a professional attitude, protest with a professional attitude.
    Agree 100%

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ......You want to change their mind, have at it...

...Doesn't that meet your desire to "protest" but also respect the property owners wishes?

Changing peoples' minds is like a hobby to me. :laugh:

I have no desire to simply protest as that's rarely the best means of persuasion.

Compuvette

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    NE Indiana

Because that is the location that appears to have an issue with OC. You wouldn't make any sense to protest at McDonald's for an issue at S&S.

I was reacting to the above post stating that this was an aberration. If they already know it's not a problem, then why bother?

Otherwise, I'm 100% with you. That is my point. Protest with respect. Don't start off by violating the implied rules then expect them to change their mind.

Compuvette

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    NE Indiana
    Changing peoples' minds is like a hobby to me. :laugh:

I have no desire to simply protest as that's rarely the best means of persuasion.

Well, have fun. Just don't forget they have the right to not like what you do.

ETA - if this isn't a protest, what is it?

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Well, have fun. Just don't forget they have the right to not like what you do.

ETA - if this isn't a protest, what is it?

It sounds like breakfast to me.

ETA - Nobody has a right to not like what I do. ALL WILL LOVE WHAT I DO! It's the law. :rockwoot:

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    . So, you (I say you, but am using this strictly for ease of sentence construction, I am not trying to single you out ATM) don't like what the property owners policies are so you will bring a bunch of friends a long to do what you know the property owner does not allow.

Do we know beyond a reasonable doubt that the property owner feels this way ? could it have been an isolated incident? Is there an opportunity for clarification and education (peacefully?)

Compuvette said:
    Where in this statement or my previous post am I wrong?

See above

Also, maybe my phrasing isn't the best, but if you know the rules to an establishment and go in anyway, you are agreeing to follow the rules.

Can you please cite a specific source for the property owner's rules that you are referring to?

. Their place, their rules. You want to change their mind, have at it.

Ok :D

Compuvette said:
    But I think you would be far more effective if you follow the implied rules in place and making your opinion heard than forcing a decision via bringing a group of buddies along and violating implied rules to "make your point".

Again.. more implied rules.. where are they implied? Whom implied their existence? these are rhetorical questions as we cannot know for certain without asking the manager that asked one gentleman to disarm now can we ?

Compuvette said:
    Why not walk in (empty holsters) with said group and state to the manager than you would like to eat here, but refuse to unless they allow you to carry?

The above seems more demanding than simply allowing them to offer us seats now doesn't it ?

Compuvette said:
    Doesn't that meet your desire to "protest" but also respect the property owners wishes?

Who mentioned a protest? :dunno: I simply want breakfast. Of course there are other establishments where breakfast can be had, however this one is very reasonably close to the shooting range that I frequent..

What drama ? I simply offered a location to meet for breakfast before we go shooting at the range :dunno: No different than meeting up at iHop (except iHop is farther away to drive from the range)

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    See, also "disingenuous".

I wasn't chastised by other members for OC at TGI Friday last week. They are absolute notorious for being anti gun. Steak n Shake has notoriously allowed firearms in the past
    Why am I being chastised for wanting to stop for breakfast and meet like minded people?

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I was reacting to the above post stating that this was an aberration. If they already know it's not a problem, then why bother?

Otherwise, I'm 100% with you. That is my point. Protest with respect. Don't start off by violating the implied rules then expect them to change their mind.

Oh the top part of my post was a general response to having an OC event there, not to your posts. I agree that such an event is a bad idea. The bottom part was responding the quote because I was recognizing their motive for going there to try to change a mind or two. Your question, as worded, appeared to suggest that doing the event at another location would assist them in trying to change those minds at the location in OP. I could just be a tard and thinking waaaay too far into it (sorry I don't know where the switch is to turn that off).

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I wasn't chastised by other members for OC at TGI Friday last week. They are absolute notorious for being anti gun. Steak n Shake has notoriously allowed firearms in the past
    Why am I being chastised for wanting to stop for breakfast and meet like minded people?

See your comment which I quoted. Then look up the term "disingenuous". It was my nice way of saying, "horse hockey". :rolleyes:

Compuvette

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    NE Indiana
    Do we know beyond a reasonable doubt that the property owner feels this way ? could it have been an isolated incident? Is there an opportunity for clarification and education (peacefully?)

See above

Can you please cite a specific source for the property owner's rules that you are referring to?

Ok :D

Again.. more implied rules.. where are they implied? Whom implied their existence? these are rhetorical questions as we cannot know for certain without asking the manager that asked one gentleman to disarm now can we ?

The above seems more demanding than simply allowing them to offer us seats now doesn't it ?

Who mentioned a protest? :dunno: I simply want breakfast. Of course there are other establishments where breakfast can be had, however this one is very reasonably close to the shooting range that I frequent..

What drama ? I simply offered a location to meet for breakfast before we go shooting at the range :dunno: No different than meeting up at iHop (except iHop is farther away to drive from the range)

The "implied rules" are the other member getting asked to leave. Sounds pretty definitive to me that the manager had his own rules.

Seems the manager has had a "come to Jesus" meeting and has been told what the policies are.

Have fun and enjoy your breakfast.

Top Bottom