• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    So I need some advice, I've been debating cc vs oc for months now. I know the arguements behind both and I support both, however, oc is uncommon around where I live. I'm trying to get the courage to do it, but to those of you who do, how do you respond to people who ask you questions? Such as, why do you need that, or what are you scared of, or simply the looks people gives you? What should I do in such a situation?

lrhochgesang

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    Jasper, IN
    Answers could be...I carry because it is my god given right and I can legally carry in Indiana...I don't carry because I'm scared or afraid, I carry because I'm aware of the world we live in and the kind of people walking among us...don't let someone's look mad u mad or uncomfortable, just smile and wave.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Just carry on. People if they even notice won't say anything 99% of the time. And 99% of that remaining % is going to be something like "is that a 40?" "I'm still waiting for my permit in the mail!" " makes me feel good to see regular people carrying"

If you get a loud mouthed rude person just tell them you carry because it is the responsible thing to do. It is your right and a right not exercised is a right lost. Or you can just say I'm doing fine how are you doing today. Or just say have a nice day.

Not really anything to worry about.

Cops generally don't care either.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    So I need some advice, I've been debating cc vs oc for months now. I know the arguements behind both and I support both, however, oc is uncommon around where I live. I'm trying to get the courage to do it, but to those of you who do, how do you respond to people who ask you questions? Such as, why do you need that, or what are you scared of, or simply the looks people gives you? What should I do in such a situation?

Sounds like you want to OC and are working up the nerve. Good for you, I say.

Yeah not much answers to your questions, just supporting you.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    You will find that most people who strike up the nerve to ask you any questions are usually gun owners themselves and don't know that OC is legal in Indiana. That is the most common conversation I've had with people. It is uncommon to OC, I really don't know who to blame for that though, but you would be surprised how many carry. My advice would be to OC around the house, both inside and out, and also around your friends and family too. If you can get used to OCing in front of people you know, answer their questions, then you will be more prepared for strangers' questions out in the public. I OC'd in public first, now I am getting used to neighbors and friends seeing me OC. I find I am more comfortable the more I talk to people about it. Remember, it's just a gun, it's not like you're naked or anything. Nothing to be embarrassed about.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I Typically CC. I take two additional measures when I OC:

1: dress for success. when I OC I am typically in at least a polo. Usually polo shirt and khakis, sometimes jeans. (what I typically wear for my office job) I also carry a mid size auto in a professional looking Serpa holster. I find that being clean shaven and professionally dressed raises fewer eyebrows than if I'm in jeans and a tshirt with 3+ days of stubble. In the latter case I CC and get the same relatively neutral reaction as when I OC.

2: Keep a positive attitude and make it a point to smile, make eye contact, and be open and engaging. I find that being openly friendly seems to help. Then again, when you are carrying and realize the pleasure of knowing you are ACTIVELY exercising your constitutional rights, how can you NOT be in a good mood?

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    If someone asks you a question about your firearm be polite and informative. You won't help erase the negative image of a gun owner that someone might have if you respond in a "holier than thou" tone.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Politely inform your interlocutors that the Indiana law code has provisions for open carry by licensed, law-abiding citizens. You might want to memorize some legal language. I think Cameramonkey is right: the "vibe" you project may mean more than your words. If you look respectable, they're less likely to think you dangerous, and the weight of your words will be amplified. If you truly believe in OC, and if people treat your poorly, know in your heart that it's their problem, not yours. Don't get flustered.

Also admit that you lost a debate on the internet, and as a consequence you have to wear the gun on the outside to draw fire from armed robbers. After the bad guys identify themselves by shooting you in the ass, we CC folks will jump in and save the day. They'll never know what hit them! Thanks for serving as our bait.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Te ll them to **** off and mind their own damn business, dont they have better things to do then worry about you when there are criminals out there everywhere and they are hiding their guns

smiley69_300

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Ripley County
    Lots of good information in this thread. I don't OC very often but just ordered an OWB holster for my 9mm and plan on doing it more. This info also helps me out.

cmepp18

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    The first time I OC'd was Aug last year. I was slightly nervous at first, but it soon became a part of my every day life. A year later it feels more natural to have a sidearm on my hip than not. Your comfort level should quickly grow and your nerves calm. Like some of the previous posts said, most people don't even notice or care; and those that do are generally pro-carry - don't sweat the anti's, they are mainly just ignorant or scared to carry themselves (but always be polite).

Top Bottom