• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Not this past weekend, but last week was the local town festival/harvest gathering/flea market thingy. I've been unable to actually enjoy the festivities the last couple of years because I've had to work, so I was pretty happy to get an opportunity to be with my family and enjoy. We were killing time walking around the square waiting for a party to start at a friends just down the street, so we weren't in any hurry and wandered through the booths. We saw people we knew, we browsed through crap we didn't need, we made a list of things we might come back for, typical festival stuff.

I need to interject here and point out two things. One, I was wearing a button down shirt and a kilt, and two, I was Virginia tucking - my sidearm, not my gun. :naughty:

The town has one full time and two part time marshals (our glorious PD) and several reserve deputies. Of course they're all on duty for the weekend and although I didn't see any specifically, there might have been some sheriff deputies around too.

We made one full lap around the square and I had stopped to wait for Sockmonkey to finish browsing at a booth when an older couple walked by. The woman gawked at me, then made a comment "Is it true what they say about a man in a skirt?" I gave her a puzzled look, then understanding what she was eluding to, I just smiled. She came over a little closer and said "You're not going to tell me, are you?" I smiled again and said "I wear socks and shoes under my kilt." They chuckled and moved on, and Sockmonkey and I walked towards another booth.

I was looking at whatever knick-knacks Sockmonkey wanted me to see when I get a tap on the shoulder. I turned and two of the reserve cops are standing there. "Hey, we had a complaint that you were carrying a gun..." I waited a beat to see where this was going and my mind started churning like a rolodex to the best next response. "We told the guy that it was perfectly legal for you to be carrying." Another pause, they smiled.

I leaned in towards them and deadpanned "It's the kilt, it's intimidating." They laughed.

"Well, you know, guns are bad." His voice was heavy with sarcasm.

"I know, mine has jumped out and killed three people since I've been here." They laughed again.

"We just thought you should know...guns are evil and you're the devil. Have a nice time."

"You too, and stay safe."

+1 for Hope PD.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Why is it we never get a good smack down any more? This really had potential for some excitement.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    images

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    They were simply afraid that your kilt would come up during the curb stomp and didnt want to get any cooties on their jackboots.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I think Hope has probably improved their department since they got rid of the guy that was pulling all the good-looking women over for speeding even when they weren't.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    So you didn't shove your cell phone in his face while you took video, or scream "am I being detained"?

Top Bottom