• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kaardomos

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Milltown, Indiana
    Long story sort, I decided to head up to the UP for a week, since I have been up here since 2006.

No one says anything until a guy comes up and asks me if I'm from around here and if OC is legal in MI. I tell him where I'm from and that I've did my research and that OC is legal in MI. Well, we get to talking and he tells me that he's from Georgia, where he carries a 1911 in .38 super, and that he was a firearms safety officer in Iraq(I feel a bit embarrassed that while caught up in the conversation, I forgot to thank him for his service). Anyways, we spent a little bit discussing the firearms laws in IN and GA, before he had to move on.

Well, I thought that was going to be the most eventful part of my day, however when I got to the parking lot(and was heading to my car to leave), I see an officer walking my way. Seems someone sent in a MWAG. Being on vacation and not wanting to start any trouble(plus not knowing for sure if there's any law about it in MI), I let him disarm me and unload my gun as well as giving him ID and my LTCH(I know, not required to OC in MI, but I was ready to move on). While he was running my info, a guy which I assume was the head DNR guy at the park told him that he came back to a note on his desk about an MWAG with know more details, so he called it in to be safe. He told the officer that people were ignorant(his choice of words) that OC was legal. Anyways, the officer told me I wasn't doing anything illegal and returned the gun. Before he left, I thanked him for not tazing me.

I guess for the score I'm going to have to go with -1 for disarming me and +1 for knowing how to unload a 1911 without sweeping anyone and only taking the mag and the bullet in the chamber out(I was expecting an unloaded mag).

I'm going to give DNR guy a -1/2 for calling it in( I really can't fault him too bad since he was working from a note and not there to ask questions like "is it in a holster) and +1 for onowing that people are ignorant of the law.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Why did you add the part about thanking him for not tasing you? Was it a jovial mood? I could see that as not going over well and complicating matters.

I would be nervous doing the police interview in a different state. Good job on the research!

Kaardomos

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Milltown, Indiana
    Nah, he was in a good mood and we talked about the local State Parks and which ones he liked. If he hadn't been in a good mood or was an officer Maxey type, I wouldn't have made a joke.

jdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    N.E corner
    The most important question is, did you have lunch at the brewery there. The food is great and the beer is pretty darn good too. :rockwoot:

Kaardomos

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Milltown, Indiana
    Nah, I didn't. It seems like I might have the first time I came up here. I tend to go for eat on the run stuff when I'm by myself. As for the brewery, the officer asked if I'd been to it and that's a nope. I don't drink and drive....I can barely drink and walk.

Kaardomos

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Milltown, Indiana
    Today I was at Miner's Castle at Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore when an older couple came up to me. The guy started the conversation with "you're brandishing," to which I reply "no I'm OCing" and explain that it's legal up here. Well, he continues to tell me that back in Texas they have to keep it concealed. So I talk with them about the laws for a little bit and as they're leaving I hear the lady say something to the effect of "carrying a gun's a good idea these days." :D.

Though that does leave one question: If Texas law is invoked IRL does Rhino owe Kirk a box of .45?

Top Bottom