• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hanu

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    I OC'd this morning for the first time. Riding my bike on the Monon in Westfield at 06:30 seemed like a situation in which I wouldn't encounter lots of people and that proved to be true.

The first person I encountered overtook me and said as he passed, "Seriously? You're carrying a pistol? Really?" (I personally thought the "really" was redundant since he started with "seriously".) I responded "Absolutely. I'm not going to be the next person shot 8 times." He was shaking his head as he rode away. Personally, I would never confront someone carrying a weapon because you just don't know what a person might do.

This is the very thing that's kept me from OC'ing. I don't want confrontations with anyone and it's certainly not my intent to make people uncomfortable. Someone please tell me that this isn't going to happen every time I OC.:(

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Anderson
    I thought there was a city ordinance or something prohibiting guns or weapons or something from the Monon trail. Is that not the case?

Personally I think it's incredibly stupid to have that law because that's exactly where criminals will go to commit their crimes.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    The first person I encountered overtook me and said as he passed, "Seriously? You're carrying a pistol? Really?" (I personally thought the "really" was redundant since he started with "seriously".) I responded "Absolutely. I'm not going to be the next person shot 8 times." He was shaking his head as he rode away. Personally, I would never confront someone carrying a weapon because you just don't know what a person might do.

Hmmmm...... :orly:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    you should get some model rockets and paint them up to look like missiles. can tell the guy you wouldn't need the gun if missiles were legal.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    It won't happen every time you OC, but it will definitely happen more than if you were to CC. People arent going to say anything when you CC, because it is out of sight-out of mind. When you OC, it does draw attention from some, so you will get the occasional comments.

I OC about 90% of the time. I have had my share of negative comments, but also many positive comments. Here is the thing that you need to realize. You are within your rights to carry a gun, even if you are carrying OC. It really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks of your decision to carry. Just smile at them and tell them to have a nice day.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Someone please tell me that this isn't going to happen every time I OC.:(
    This isn't going to happen every time you OC.

The Monon is a hotbed for snippy comments, though. The well publicized crime got folks' attention, and many people are a tad more free with their anti-everything opinions on the Northside.

I OC by default, and only rarely get ANY attention at all. Even then, it is mostly neutral, or even positive. I haven't gotten a OMG-MWAG-WTFBBQ response in a loooooong time.

Just keep OC-ing, stay positive and friendly! We'll wear them down and desensitize them eventually.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Just keep OC-ing, stay positive and friendly! We'll wear them down and desensitize them eventually.

I agree completely. We have just got to keep educating and desensitizing the public. Be friendly and build a good name for OC. That's all we can do until they make a law banning idiots opinions haha!

Hanu

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    I thought there was a city ordinance or something prohibiting guns or weapons or something from the Monon trail. Is that not the case?

Personally I think it's incredibly stupid to have that law because that's exactly where criminals will go to commit their crimes.
    I looked up the rules ofr the Carmel/Clay Parks and Recreation online and it does say that firearms are strictly prohibited in any park for any reason (yikes!).

Does the July 1 law really make that obsolete or can they still prohibit them? I certainly don't want to be breaking the law by carrying on the Monon.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I looked up the rules ofr the Carmel/Clay Parks and Recreation online and it does say that firearms are strictly prohibited in any park for any reason (yikes!).

Does the July 1 law really make that obsolete or can they still prohibit them? I certainly don't want to be breaking the law by carrying on the Monon.

The city statute is null and void.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    And if they try to enforce it, you can sue (and win) for damages.

Yeah, but don't expect it to be a payday, unless you have a REALLY expensive attorney.

IC 35-47-11.1-7
    Civil actions; recovery of damages, costs, and fees
    Sec. 7. A prevailing plaintiff in an action under section 5 of this chapter is entitled to recover from the political subdivision the following:
    (1) The greater of the following:
    (A) Actual damages, including consequential damages.
    (B) Liquidated damages of three (3) times the plaintiff's attorney's fees.
    (2) Court costs (including fees).
    (3) Reasonable attorney's fees.
    As added by P.L.152-2011, SEC.4.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    This isn't going to happen every time you OC.

The Monon is a hotbed for snippy comments, though. The well publicized crime got folks' attention, and many people are a tad more free with their anti-everything opinions on the Northside.

I OC by default, and only rarely get ANY attention at all. Even then, it is mostly neutral, or even positive. I haven't gotten a OMG-MWAG-WTFBBQ response in a loooooong time.

Oh my god, man with a gun, what the frack? barbeque?! That I could totally live with. I wish every time you got attention from the LEOs because of a MWAG call you got a pulled pork sandwich.
    :rockwoot:

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Yeah, but don't expect it to be a payday, unless you have a REALLY expensive attorney.

IC 35-47-11.1-7
    Civil actions; recovery of damages, costs, and fees
    Sec. 7. A prevailing plaintiff in an action under section 5 of this chapter is entitled to recover from the political subdivision the following:
    (1) The greater of the following:
    (A) Actual damages, including consequential damages.
    (B) Liquidated damages of three (3) times the plaintiff's attorney's fees.
    (2) Court costs (including fees).
    (3) Reasonable attorney's fees.
    As added by P.L.152-2011, SEC.4.

I agree. I believe the idea is "death by 1000 cuts" and not "big gaping sucking chest wound".

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    The Brady Bunch make it their goal to make people like this sheep you ran in to. The last thing they want is for people to see a gun and not think anything of it... kinda like it use to be.

There was a video where they said actactly that when the 2A guys were OC'ing in Starbucks in Cali.

Top Bottom