• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Look at it this way... you would be the proverbial gay couple agreeing not stick your tongues down eachothers throats in front of the rest of the neighborhood (OC'ing), but instead, being a bit more discrete by just holding hands (CC'ing). Then, once the neighborhood begins to accept you and your gun as a happy couple, you can let them see you make out once in a while. Well, you know what I mean.
    So you're saying he should soften them up by CC'ing for a while...then when they least expect it...shove his tongue down their throat?? ;)

JNG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    If you want to keep doing what you're doing and they choose to make an issue out of it, hire a good lawyer in a reputable firm, preferably one with both real estate and litigation sections.

Bringing in a lawyer is a game-changer because it imposes an immediate and substantial economic cost on the HOA. For some reason, they tend to get more reasonable when enforcing their edicts is no longer cost-free.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    If you want to keep doing what you're doing and they choose to make an issue out of it, hire a good lawyer in a reputable firm, preferably one with both real estate and litigation sections.

Bringing in a lawyer is a game-changer because it imposes an immediate and substantial economic cost on the HOA. For some reason, they tend to get more reasonable when enforcing their edicts is no longer cost-free.

:yesway: Very true!

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    A good friend of mine lives in a 500K home with a HOA. Some of the things they do and require!! I couldn't do it myself. Plus he has to pay the HOA anually!! That is one of the reasons I live out in the sticks.

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    I would smash their car windows and pee on the driver's seat! :D
    Nice caleb but you'd have to break into their garages first....

The thing is I wouldn't put it past this HOA board to pass a change to the covenents saying you can't carry in the neighborhood or worst yet, even have them in your home. They have rules dictating where we can park our cars (as written, in our garages only). As many of you have experienced, the rules are promoted as something that maintains the home values, or keeps children safe. And when you speak out against a rule you disagree with... you'are automtically labeld by the HOA as someone who wants the neighborhood to fail or does not want children safe. It is quite a racket they have going. When you can lable home owners like that, it makes it easy to make changes to the convenants and more and more rules to how I can live on my property.

Trust me, if we could up and move, I would. The benefits of having an active HOA Board is not worth the pain I feel in being treated like this for standing up for something I believe in. Because I'm paying for this treatment, if you know what I am saying. Anyone else ever had similar runs with their HOA?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Having lived a similar situation and having not read but the first 3 pages of replies; I used to live in a rural lake HOA. I knew buying there was a mistake because of the HOA but succumbed to the ex-wifes pressures. Myself and a couple of other residents who lived on the outer edge of the HOA jurisdiction liked to go into our respective backyards and squeeze off a few every now and then. The "enforcement nazis" (read retirees on golf carts with a complete copy of rules and covenants and WAY too much time on their hands) came knocking on each of our doors one day and rather impolitely told us we couldn't shoot in the "city" limits. Remember this is a rural HOA. I politely told them to pound sand!! As a result of their calling the SD everytime one of us decided to go out back for a little R&R all 3 of us got to know several of the deputies quite well. Each time they told us that we were shooting safe and told the HOA there was no legal grounds to stop us. The HOA then added a new rule preventing discharging or OC'ing in the HOA area. Our covenants were basically impossible to change but they can add any "rule" they see fit. Personally I hope the ex-wife and the ex-HOA are enjoying each others company. Don't kid yourself, HOAs are a very powerful organization and since any litigation is paid with members money one way or the other they tend to be rather litigous. There have been many documented instances of HOAs confiscating property and kicking out rightful owners, look it up that isn't an idle statement! Personally I'd move forward with the barbecue idea!! Sounds like me!!! HOAs SUCK BALLS and that's about as nice as I can be on a public forum. Heritage Lake, KISS MY A$$.:fawk:

Top Bottom