• ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Here, WWII.

Not accurate.

There was no growth during the war. All growth occured after the war, and was largely due to de-regulation and shortages that occured during the war. People didn't have anything and there was a very high demend for stuff. Recall that everything from rubber to steel was rationed during WWII. People had to make do with next to nothing for almost a decade.

Also, the repeal of FDRs very damaging economic policy made it possible for firms to actually produce product at a profit.

Patternpimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Columbus, IN
    Yes, but it's done with borrowed money, and after you've spent it all, you don't have anything that will make money. Do bombs make money? What about tanks, or bullets, or APCs? Just trying to illustrate my point.

If I buy a 5 axis mill, I can use that to make all kinds of parts that I can sell that will increase the wealth of the person who buys those things. That is how the economy is supposed to work.

War is also not a change in the policy that tanked your econmoy in the first place. Once all the borrowed money is spent, you're back to square one plus, you've accumulated a LOT of debt.

War is always a net loss. Especially when you consider the damage done to the "enemy."

Their used to be a concept of the Spoils of war. If a few billion barrels of oil were taken to offset the cost of being in Iraq perhaps this war wouldnt seem so costly.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Evil Jews control the evil banks. Get the jews (religion) out of the banks. If banks were secular, then they would be less evil. blah blah blah

I could be wrong. I could just be the literal doom of the banking system.

So, you're guessing that the phrase "Mene Mene Tekal Upharsin" means the sign-poster thinks "Evil Jews" control the banks and that if the banks were secular things would be better?

Doug

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    So, you're guessing that the phrase "Mene Mene Tekal Upharsin" means the sign-poster thinks "Evil Jews" control the banks and that if the banks were secular things would be better?

Doug

Just going by the context of some of the speakers that I heard and the crowd's reactions. Like I said, I could be wrong and it could be the literal translation.

Top Bottom