• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eric05

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    New Palestine
    So today I noticed someone at the walmart in Avon OC'ing. They had a very nice 1911 (Could not tell exactly what make). It got me thinking. 1911's are a larger frame handgun and I usually people OC'ing larger handguns. Typicially full sizes and some compacts are the norm. But I have never seen anyone OC'ing anything smaller than an Glock 26/27 (which in my mind are compacts, not sub-compacts as Glock states).
    My question, Is it acceptable to OC something sub-compact? say the size of a Keltec .32? otRuger LCP. Is it not cool too?
    What do you guys think? Whats the smallest gun you have seen?

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    What's the point?

Small guns trade off shootability, sight radius/accuracy, capacity, and sometimes reliability for ease of concealment. If you OC, you're trading off those things for no apparent reason.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    So today I noticed someone at the walmart in Avon OC'ing. They had a very nice 1911 (Could not tell exactly what make). It got me thinking. 1911's are a larger frame handgun and I usually people OC'ing larger handguns. Typicially full sizes and some compacts are the norm. But I have never seen anyone OC'ing anything smaller than an Glock 26/27 (which in my mind are compacts, not sub-compacts as Glock states).
    My question, Is it acceptable to OC something sub-compact? say the size of a Keltec .32? otRuger LCP. Is it not cool too?
    What do you guys think? Whats the smallest gun you have seen?

The purpose of OCing is giving the carrier the ability to carry a pistol that otherwise is too large/bulky/too uncomfortable to CC. Why settle for a lower capacity, harder kicking, tiny gripped, short sight radiused, less powerful cartridge, handgun? I have yet to find a person who shoots a P3AT or similar BETTER than a standard sized pistol. Carry what you shoot well.

Eric05

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    New Palestine
    What's the point?

Small guns trade off shootability, sight radius/accuracy, capacity, and sometimes reliability for ease of concealment. If you OC, you're trading off those things for no apparent reason.

I have to agree. Maybe they carry smaller for comfort reasons?:dunno:

I don't OC my Ruger Super Redhawk 44 Mag strapped to my leg because it's cool.

(that's just a side benefit ;) )

I have to say, that has a slight edge of cool.:rockwoot:

Eric05

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    New Palestine
    The purpose of OCing is giving the carrier the ability to carry a pistol that otherwise is too large/bulky/too uncomfortable to CC. Why settle for a lower capacity, harder kicking, tiny gripped, short sight radiused, less powerful cartridge, handgun? I have yet to find a person who shoots a P3AT or similar BETTER than a standard sized pistol. Carry what you shoot well.

Agree. That's what I'm thinking. I know there are some people who can adjust to carrying a smaller gun for whatever. If they are able to use it more effectively then more power to them.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Nothing smaller than a 1911A1. See that little dot at the end of the sentence, that is a period.

1911A1 Period.
    Dictionary.com, Period,
    9. Also called: full stop the punctuation mark (.) used at the end of a sentence that is not a question or exclamation, after abbreviations, etc

I like that, 1911A1 Full Stop.

Compuvette

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    NE Indiana
    I want to see someone OCing a P3AT.....

Seen it (well, a LCP). When I took my Utah class at Gander in Fort Wayne the instructor was OC-ing an LCP in a Fobus belt holster. Guy was kinda a tool (load your HD shotgun with birdshot, that kind of stuff). Plus, it's hard for me to take carry training/advice from a guy that lives in Illinois. Still, good class. Just thought it was odd to OC such a small sidearm.

jevin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Lafayette, IN
    I OC my Walther PPS. I got the slim PPS mostly because CCing a full size XDm would be... difficult. I find that even when OCing, the PPS is significantly more comfortable when I'm in the car! Another reason to OC a small pistol is in the situation where you prefer to OC but CC occasionally. It is very nice (familiarity, training, etc.) to use the same weapon for both cases.

Top Bottom