• ...and so much more!
  • jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I vote trigger control.....
    It is actually an area that I know I need to really work on. I get caught up in the shooting and start really just mashing the Hell out of the trigger which is causing the gun to move during the shot. So even if I am watching my sights and thinking what I am seeing will be two alphas I end up with something else because I was moving the gun.
    I really started to notice this in dry fire, as I did more repetitions I was noticing that I was tightening my grip and pulling on the trigger harder causing the sights to move.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Maybe they fail to call some fraction of a percent of their rounds. Maybe they are suprised by a miss once in a while... People are human and do very few things to true perfection. But I like to think that's true simply because it's easier on my ego when I also fail to call a shot. :)

Max, you had 5 mikes at a club match not too long ago. You called each of them and decided not to make them up?

You got that right.

And that's why Max has that G in front of his M. That comes down to the consistency thing I talked about earlier. I might call 98 % of my shots, but over a 10 stage major that could be 5 shots I don't call. That's potentially a steel I'm surprised is still standing or a mike I didn't expect. Max is going to have a major edge because of his consistency.

-rvb

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    If I remember right Jake already started talking about the mind game earlier. Which in reality its all a mind game. LIke Jake said if you dont have that stage locked in. Your pretty much hosed. Maybe not his exact words. Which I still have problems sometimes with locking it in. If you cant run the stage through your mind before you make ready your not ready for it. How about transitions and snapping your eyes?

kch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    I vote trigger control.....
    It is actually an area that I know I need to really work on. I get caught up in the shooting and start really just mashing the Hell out of the trigger which is causing the gun to move during the shot. So even if I am watching my sights and thinking what I am seeing will be two alphas I end up with something else because I was moving the gun.
    I really started to notice this in dry fire, as I did more repetitions I was noticing that I was tightening my grip and pulling on the trigger harder causing the sights to move.

i think trigger control is the biggest thing, at the moment, i need to work on. i think im doing the same thing as you jake. i mean i see the sight and its on the target and looks like its in the A zone but alas, an M or C or D. i know i just get going and im thinking about the speed so i jerk the trigger.

any drills you guys do to practice this trigger control?

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    i think trigger control is the biggest thing, at the moment, i need to work on. i think im doing the same thing as you jake. i mean i see the sight and its on the target and looks like its in the A zone but alas, an M or C or D. i know i just get going and im thinking about the speed so i jerk the trigger.

uh yeah, you should, uh, get a heavier trigger, and uh try, I mean you really try jerking the trigger, yeah, that uh will work for you, yeah yeah I think really jerking the trigger, that is what uh, yeah , uh you should be doing more of......
    (at least I know it would be better for me if you did that.......)

kch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    uh yeah, you should, uh, get a heavier trigger, and uh try, I mean you really try jerking the trigger, yeah, that uh will work for you, yeah yeah I think really jerking the trigger, that is what uh, yeah , uh you should be doing more of......
    (at least I know it would be better for me if you did that.......)

thanks for the advice! ill try it next practice session.:whistle:

gh2

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    I'm with Jake & Kyle on this one, although Jake's advice to Kyle is what I do now. Well, other than the heavy trigger.

My trigger control reminds me of taking the kid to Chuckie Cheese and playing the game where the mole pops out of an unknown location and you try to hit him with a hammer before he disappears. Oh!!!!!! There's the sight picture!!!! Now what???? Oh yeah!!!! Break the shot! Now dummy! Before the sight moves!!!! HURRY HURRY !!!!!!

Yeah, thats the ticket...............:n00b: :n00b: Oh. Did I mention I'm slow ?

Skroggster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Kokomo, Indiana
    I'm with Jake & Kyle on this one, although Jake's advice to Kyle is what I do now. Well, other than the heavy trigger.

My trigger control reminds me of taking the kid to Chuckie Cheese and playing the game where the mole pops out of an unknown location and you try to hit him with a hammer before he disappears. Oh!!!!!! There's the sight picture!!!! Now what???? Oh yeah!!!! Break the shot! Now dummy! Before the sight moves!!!! HURRY HURRY !!!!!!

Yeah, thats the ticket...............:n00b: :n00b: Oh. Did I mention I'm slow ?

That game you speak of is called whack a mole. Kinda like the sport we play for us noobs shoot an alpha! :xmad:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Shoot a revolver or even a Glock (with a stock trigger) for a while. After you learn to press the trigger on one of those without disturbing the alignment of the gun, shooting your STI will be significantly easier.

Skroggster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Kokomo, Indiana
    I am getting to know where my mikes maybe. However, I've noticed that when I think I ran a stage smooth..I end up having 2-4 mikes. They are usually at transition points where I'm getting ready to take off running. I think mentally I've shot the target before I physically shoot it. when I feel good about a run..it usually isn't that good. I know this will come with time

We are in the same mental state Mike. Our fisrt shot is on our second is high and :poop:. I can't speak for you. But I feel I need to go fast and my transiton kills me.
    Coach proved that to me Saturday. 1st string I had 4 mikes at 19.96, Second he told me to slow down, watch my second shot. I shot it clean and at 19.85 and he proved it to me.

gh2

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Shoot a revolver or even a Glock (with a stock trigger) for a while. After you learn to press the trigger on one of those without disturbing the alignment of the gun, shooting your STI will be significantly easier.

Revolver ???? Is that a Clint Eastwood gun?

sti38super

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Seymour
    Trigger control--- answer--- DRY FIRE DRY FIRE DRY FIRE. Does the sight move when you break the shot? If yes DRY FIRE DRY FIRE do you get it now?

Top Bottom