• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    So, last year I bought Under the Dome by Stephen King, but never got around to reading it. Focusing on other books.

Well, I still had the receipt stuck in the front of the book. It was purchased on Amazon, but not with my Prime benefits, it was from another seller called "R& R Books)

The book is brand new, but has a red line down the bottom edges of the pages in the middle. Like the number "1"
    Also, on the back, the original bar code was covered up with another bar code sticker. I peeled off the sticker and it says

Printed in the USA For sale In Canada 24.99

I only paid 8.99 for the book. It is paperback, 1074 pages.

Did they sell me an illegal book or something?

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    It's pretty common to see Canadian prices on books near the barcode. As far as the "For sale in Canada" I wouldn't worry much about it. Many reasons why it would stay in the States.

book_prices.jpg

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I'm not complaining : D I I like 8.99 for a 20 dollar book :D just thought it was odd. I know it is common to see CA pricing next to US pricing, but have not seen it listed this way before.

Apparently I am way behind... SCOTUS ruled back in 1998 that discounted overseas books shipped and sold back in the US do not violate federal copyright law.

Last edited:

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Apparently I am way behind... SCOTUS ruled back in 1998 that discounted overseas books shipped and sold back in the US do not violate federal copyright law.

That was actually back in the courts not long ago, if I remember correctly. Something about college book stores and buybacks... but I wasn't paying much attention to the case.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I wouldn't be surprised, textbook companies want their money. I did read that their excuse for charging Americans so much is that they really are not. They charge us regular price, and that allows their business to expand to foreign markets. They wouldn't be able to offer them overseas at all if they sold them cheaply domestically.
    It appears that college bookstores are angry with publishers for exporting cheaper books. Wholesalers have to sign a contract preventing them from selling to domestic distributors, while foreign distributors sell books with over 50% price reductions.

Top Bottom