• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikerccie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Indy - North Side
    I was at an event hosted at a friend's house last night and saw one of the oddest carry configurations.

The guy was right handed and had his iPhone on his strong side hip, his horizontal spare mag carrier was just a few inches right of his zipper. His holster was a right-handed Serpa on his left hip (the gun was butt forward).

I'm sure it works for him but I couldn't stop myself from thinking that it looks like it would be super difficult to get that gun out of the holster and I think he would have to move the gun to his weak hand to swap the magazine.

Maybe I don't understand the cross-draw butt-forward process correctly?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    :dunno:

Not so difficult, just ensure you get your left arm up and out of the way (elbow) like drawing from a shoulder rig. It takes more movement but likely a distinction without difference with practice.

No need to switch hands during reloading. Do it with your air pistol, it takes repitition but no big deal.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Usually crossdraw is carried forward of the hip. Nothing that unusual about it. I remember when the MSP carried that way, called em suicide rigs. Could be worse, maybe he was really left handed and was using a twist draw.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    The reload depends which way the mag(s) face. Crossdrawing the pistol is no big deal, crossdrawing the mag wouldn't be either.

mikerccie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Indy - North Side
    Carry set-ups are as personal as picking your girlfriend of church I suppose - I'm sure it works for him but I would be lost with that setup.

I suppose it might work well seated in a car?

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    He might just be a cowboy fan. I never saw the use of cross draw but there are people that find it easier. I suspect it has more to do with flash than function. To each his own, if it works for him, then so be it.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I suppose it might work well seated in a car?

Ummm, well, seated draw in the car is a goat rodeo whichever way you do it.

The cross draw fan boys are mostly gun writers who speculate on hordes of bad guys walking behind them like a scene out of Warriors (hey, shut up, some of us remember the '70s). However, Peter "Pink Panther" Kokalis wrote about its benefits in El Salvador when he was down lending a hand there.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Ummm, well, seated draw in the car is a goat rodeo whichever way you do it.

The cross draw fan boys are mostly gun writers who speculate on hordes of bad guys walking behind them like a scene out of Warriors (hey, shut up, some of us remember the '70s). However, Peter "Pink Panther" Kokalis wrote about its benefits in El Salvador when he was down lending a hand there.

Warriors was a great movie! I'm young but I like the classics :D

Anyway I thought that FBI used cross draw for better retention and access while seated. :dunno:

I just know it isn't approved for competition so I don't really bother with it. (No sense in changing something that works now is there?)

trapperDave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Morristown, IN
    maybe he has shoulder issues and cant jack his shoulder up to draw with strong arm?.
    I injured my shoulder bout 3 year ago..couldnt hardly pull my wallet because of the pain in lifting my arm with my hand alongside or behind me

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    maybe he has shoulder issues and cant jack his shoulder up to draw with strong arm?.
    I injured my shoulder bout 3 year ago..couldnt hardly pull my wallet because of the pain in lifting my arm with my hand alongside or behind me

This is what I was thinking too. My shoulders throb for a week at a time after MILD swimming with the kids. The up and back feeling action required to draw is painful and a cross draw action is not when this flares up.

Top Bottom