• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I work at one of the steel mills. I was sitting in a room playing on my phone minding my own business while two maintenance guys were talking about their flashlights. Fast forward ten minutes and I got an ad on Facebook about the Streamlight Stinger, which happens to be the exact make and model that was the topic of discussion.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I work at one of the steel mills. I was sitting in a room playing on my phone minding my own business while two maintenance guys were talking about their flashlights. Fast forward ten minutes and I got an ad on Facebook about the Streamlight Stinger, which happens to be the exact make and model that was the topic of discussion.

[h=1]How to turn off the Microphone in Facebook[/h]

https://thetechhacker.com/2018/02/0...crophone on,(it turns grey when it off) More

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Phones, facebook, and browsers have ways to turn off "personalized advertising" and similar features. They probably still do but this way at least it isn't thrown in your face that they are.

When you start to meld texting, email, and app messaging on one device and putting multiple contact info in apps all bets are off when it comes to isolating communication methods.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yeah, but also keep in mind that Snowden was saying (in 2013) that the only way he would be confident the camera and microphone in his phone or laptop would stay off was if he took a soldering iron and physically disconnected them himself

Anything that can be turned off by software can be turned on by other software

I have yet to see software that can remove the tape from the camera lense on my laptop though. :)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I have yet to see software that can remove the tape from the camera lense on my laptop though. :)

'Cept I think the discussion is primarily about your phone overhearing you and reporting back to Big Brother - as in #22 and turning off the microphone in facetube. Don't know, tape over the mic might work for that

Just holding an iPhone like a normal phone compromises the microphone
    :)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    'Cept I think the discussion is primarily about your phone overhearing you and reporting back to Big Brother - as in #22 and turning off the microphone in facetube. Don't know, tape over the mic might work for that

Just holding an iPhone like a normal phone compromises the microphone
    :)

Oh yeah I know, but it was mentioned that Snowden was talking about both microphones and cameras. One of those things can indeed be defeated by a piece of tape. :)

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    Hmm, I was wondering why my girlfriend ended up getting some interesting Pintrest feeds after, shall we say, a very loud and vibrant evening. Her phone must have been in the house.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    If you don't want "them" to know it, don't say it or e-mail it. We are not alone.

Last edited:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Have had this happen way to many times to be coincidence. Some random thing I talked about and all of a sunnden it pops up on a FB ad. Also, FB is using your browser cookies target ads towards you. Incognito mode is the way to go.

Top Bottom