Odd issue. 10/22 magazines different size?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Hey all. So here is something odd, I have 3 10/22s and an american rimfire. My oldest 10/22 is about 10 years old and is a standard wood stock with metal trigger group. Nothing special. So I was loading a couple of my 10 rounders, and tried to put the mag that came with that rifle into my american, and it wont fit! Being the smart person I am, I tried to jam it in and it got stuck about half way in, so I had to pound it out with a piece of dowel rod. It fits great into my takedowns, so I have no idea what the issue is. BX25s fit a little loose in that old 10/22 I've noticed. Anybody else experience this with an american rimfire? All other mags fit great.

Last edited:

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I think there were some issues with the tolerance on the molded magwells of the Ruger American Rimfire. Try measuring the tightest points with a set of calipers and comparing to your 10/22. Some people have filed down the magwell of the American Rimfire to make it accept a wider variation in magazine width.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    There were issues with 10/33 mag tolerances when they were first out. Many of them were not quite the same size. These older magazines are still around of course, my first 10/22 will take them fine but my other two which are newer, I can't quite make them fit. The older ones won't go into the ZIP I have either. I painted the bottoms of them so I know which ones they are and don't grab them when I go to the range with one of my other 10/22s. The BX-25's feed better in the ZIP and 10/22's with this kit ZiP Mag ZX-30 Upgrade KIT for BX-25 There is also a kit to make the 10 round magazines to replace the insides so present the rounds better for feeding.

I don't have an American Rimfire rifle so I cannot speak to those.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    The whole point of the american rimfire is that it accepts 10/22 mags. It takes all my BX-25's and other 10/22 rotary mags, just not the old one.

Slawburger I think you may be onto something. The magwell is much tighter near the front. Ill take a file or something to it. The mag it came with fits loose in the rimfire and VERY loose in the old 10/22. Very odd.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Both take the same mags, I already said what i know about the evolution of the 10/22 mags. I simply said I don't have an American Rimfire to do any further testing to verify if the old mags don't fit that rifle. In my experience at least, the rotary mage have occasional troubles with feeding. The Zip item I mention is supposed to fix this if they ever release them for sale.

This isn't more than it appears but I sure it will develop into something huge the longer it is up for comment. :) :ingo:

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Both take the same mags, I already said what i know about the evolution of the 10/22 mags. I simply said I don't have an American Rimfire to do any further testing to verify if the old mags don't fit that rifle. In my experience at least, the rotary mage have occasional troubles with feeding. The Zip item I mention is supposed to fix this if they ever release them for sale.

This isn't more than it appears but I sure it will develop into something huge the longer it is up for comment. :) :ingo:

Sorry wasn't replying to your comment there. What you said makes sense. Looks like Ill just avoid it and go on. I have more feeding issues with the new 10 rounders than the old ones for some reason.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Really, just looking to help. :)

When/if the ZIP Factory starts selling their little update kit for these magazines give one a try. I know I am going to try one for each, 10 round and 25 round magazines. I am hoping that the better round presentation they promise will help the rifle's action be able to pick up the next round a lot better than it is now.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Really, just looking to help. :)

When/if the ZIP Factory starts selling their little update kit for these magazines give one a try. I know I am going to try one for each, 10 round and 25 round magazines. I am hoping that the better round presentation they promise will help the rifle's action be able to pick up the next round a lot better than it is now.

That would be nice. The 10/22's of mine have NEVER had feeding issues other than an old crappy butler(?) 25rnd I got back in the day. The american has more problems with its factory mag than the others.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Last email from ZIP says they are having trouble getting them made in any number so they are reluctant to put what they have out there only to see them tun out and leave the people angry. The place has some goof ideas but they aren't very good at execution. The gun they makes is decent enough to play with at the range plinking but it can't be taken too seriously.

Sign up for the newsletter so you can be notified when the make the mag update kits available on Amazon. Other than their actual firearm they sell all their accessories on Amazon.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    That would be perfect considering I have a bunch of amazon gift cards to get rid of. Im actually going to replace the stock now so maybe they will work with the new one.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Most of what I,be seen on the zip "upgrade" kit seems pretty trashy. They bash on stock mags cause there lame gun has spotty reliability, claiming its the mags fault despite the fact that the stock rotary mag, and BX25 are pretty universally considered excellent.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I found out where I saw the difference in the 10/22 mags and ruger American mags. Guns mag march 2014 issue pages 24 and 25. I have it open to the pages right now.

paraphrasing while it looks exactly the same the ruger American mag is slimmer for a reason. To a slim the bolt action stock. It calls it a 10-22 type mag. Page 24 shows them side by side and they are not the same width. That said I rest my case as the info I was working with said they are not the same mags. Not designed to be exchangeable.

I would not have commented if I did not read it as I have not ruger American rimfire rifle.

Top Bottom