• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    Seriously how many place does a guy need to hunt deer? I have three different properties and thats enough for me. They range from to small properties to one large property. I have people come and ask for permission and one of the things I ask them is, "do you have other places to hunt?" and they will say yes. Okay then why do you need to hunt here. There are other people that don't have anyplace to hunt. So are we as hunters greedy or just plain needy? I think we should be thankful for what we have not to mention respectful. I think sometimes people have way to many places to hunt, but I also think some people have way to many stands in a woods also.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Some guys hunt like they fish. They don't have the patience to stay put in one place long enough to have any luck.

My neighbor lets a couple guys hunt on his old farm down near Brown County...they always leave at just about the same time, every day they hunt there. Like most guys do, probably.

He waits until they leave and then he goes back to where they were sitting and nails a deer almost every time.

Sometimes it pays to just hang out that one extra hour.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I think it takes all right. I think some people are thankful to have a single property. I think some might have a place but it might not yield deer or crowded with other hunters so they are searching out a better spot. I think there are some people who like a change of pace...like playing differnet golf courses vs one place each time.

There are greedy hunters around. Place I hunt had an original hunter who had free roam until the owner allowed me and my dad to hunt it. He complained and tried everyway to get us kicked off. I just wanted to share stories and strategy with him...maybe call him as a courtesy and let him know my planned schedule to hunt.

There are also guys who have a huge property in Owen county and still sneak on a friends ajoining land to setup stands since it has a good row of acorns.

I hope that one day I can secure a nice 100 acre piece of land...plant some food plots and get a good deer population. Then I would allow kids to come harvest a deer in a safe place. I think that would be the ultimate.

Hoosierbuck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Depends on how many deer you want to take. Most mega-acre farms, etc. only have a few acres of really prime hunting on them. I have 3 spots, but due to conditions (crops, pressure, etc.) two of them may not be worth a darn in any given year. Then I am down to one 50 acre woodlot. Not conducive to filling my big freezer. I don't think I am being greedy, but you bet I am trying to get on another place or two to lay in some meat for the year.
    HB

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I have a small 15 acre woods to hunt. I hear shots coming from all around me, as the adjacent properties are hunted pretty hard. On one side, I have a fence sitter who has his stand set up to shoot anything on my side of the fence. The property owner doesn't care about him, as he isn't a hunter and doesn't understand. I am thankful for what I have since it is better than nothing at all, but am constantly looking for a better property to hunt. At least I got 1 deer this year.

jason765

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Henry County
    Can I hunt? I have no place to hunt, the man that owned the farm Ive hunted the last 10 years died and now his son (who only hunts opening weekend firearms) has kicked me from the property, Tried to hunt Wilbur Wright but there was a guy in every tree. Ill try WW again for ML hopefully the cold weather keeps most people indoors. Not really asking to hunt just venting frustration over my whole situation. But I know people who have multiple places to hunt (not able to share the wealth due to agreements made with land owners), and i have always felt blessed to have 1 place good or bad. Now I have nothing, hopefully I get a chance to tag something in ML or late archery.

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    I have experienced plenty of greed when it comes to land. I know a guy that has hundreds of acres to hunt and said that three of them hunt it and that was too many. I have had some bad experiences as far as trying to find land since my friend passed and i lost the only field I have had to hunt. I have tried to find leases only to be belittled and told to go hunt public land. And that was just on this forum. The problem is I am fairly new to hunting and uneasy about public hunting and had a few bad experiences with it at tri-county last year. Not to mention, the closest public hunt is over an hour and a half for me. Heck, I am not even a horn hunter. I just want to put some meat in the freezer and help ease our finances a little. It definitely appears that hunting is becoming a rich man's game and the rest of us are left dreaming about simply owning a 5-10 acre parcel and having the possibility of taking a shot. :dunno:

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    I own 30 acres and it is all corn field. There is a small 8 acre woods back on the north west corner that the neighbor owns west of me. On the north side of my fence a farmer owns that property the full length of my property plus the length of the two properties on the east and west side of me. I've been here since 2007 and have planted well over 100 trees and have planted a couple of small clover patches and one 15 yd wide by 300 yd long sorgham patch. I've utilized two fence rows, my east fence which runs north and south and my north fence that runs east and west. I had the farmer leave out 30 yds wide the length of those to fences just for myself and deer. They utilize it quite frequently and I'm able to harvest a few deer off of it. They use it for travel mostly but also bed down in some of it. It is a blessing to have and I have worked hard to get it where its at now.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Seriously how many place does a guy need to hunt deer? I have three different properties and thats enough for me. They range from to small properties to one large property. I have people come and ask for permission and one of the things I ask them is, "do you have other places to hunt?" and they will say yes. Okay then why do you need to hunt here. There are other people that don't have anyplace to hunt. So are we as hunters greedy or just plain needy? I think we should be thankful for what we have not to mention respectful. I think sometimes people have way to many places to hunt, but I also think some people have way to many stands in a woods also.

I have no place to hunt and no stands in the woods! How do I find a few? Wanna share selinoid? I am just about 40 minutes north of Warsaw! ;)

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    i was down at morgan monroe, at the northern most part of lake monroe yesterdasy...was in the woods for 12 hours and didnt see a single deer, not even any droppings in the old soybean field....so im gonna have to drive another hour and a half back down there, then hike a mile or two further in to give it a second try...im a new hunter who lives in indianapolis...dont know too many wealthy people and know of none with acceptable hunting land.....i love being in the woods down there though...always fun

rao

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    I bow hunt primarily in the hoosier national forest...133,000 acres spread out over 6 counties. I purchased the topo maps for all six counties and spend a lot of time exploring in between hunts. In this case, the more places you know, the better off you are as you can't pattern deer as easily in large areas of national forest like you can on smaller farming properties. Much harder to hunt and you have to work harder to find them sometimes. I agree it is a blessing to have some nice private sections to hunt but no matter how many places you have to hunt...you can only hunt one at a time... :)

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I have one place, my fiance's parents property. It's a really good spot usually but it too has lots of pressure on all sides. I usually bring a buddy of mine that has no where to go, that pretty much does it.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I couldn't ever have enough places to hunt. Before it is over I'll have been in 6 counties in IN, and hunted OH, KY, TN, MS, LA, and TX. And that is just whitetails and hogs and some rabbits and birds. Almost all private ground via reciprocal deals with guys who hunt on me.

I'm no fan of moderation.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    I think if a hunter had his dream situation, he'd be living in this state all by himself with the whole thing to hunt.

As it is, we live with other people and have to share though.

A big of hunting is finding a good place to hunt.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    I have six different properties I can hunt -- the smallest being 40 acres and the largest around 600. I haven't even hunted the 600-acre farm for close to a decade. I spread myself out so that I don't overhunt any particular place. Some properties are better in the morning, others in the evening. Some are better in early archery season, others in firearms season. I need that variety to maximize my chances.

I try to gain access to new ground each season. This season I tried to gain permission on two properties, but things didn't work out. I'll be knocking on doors hard and heavy this next spring/summer.

Top Bottom