• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    I don't know for sure but isn't attempting to kill or injure a cop against the law? I know doing the same to a civilian is illegal but different than a cop. Like I said I don't know just my 2 cents

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Agreed. The comments are pretty funny. There's even one from someone who know's the victim.... be interesting to see how it unfolds.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    if i am reading this correctly, this officer should be facing attempted manslaughter charges. any one of us serfs who did the same would be facing judge.

Man are you ever right. I'm a cop and I don't know how long it would take me to type out the long list of felonies I've committed and just when I thought I was going down the prosecutors found out I had a badge and I was let off Scott free. You're really missing out not being a cop, life's so easy it's ridiculous. You should try it sometime.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    If I shot at someone in my driveway, being a civilian, wouldn't I be handcuffed and taking a trip downtown?
    Was the officer handcuffed and taken down for questioning?

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I don't know, I'm asking. It just seems to me, if I am shooting at someone in my driveway, someone is going to want some answers.
    I did however read the other story that they were attempting to break into his house.
    That would be the only reason I can think of as to why I would be shooting at someone in my driveway.

I thought you can only shoot at someone if you feel like your life is in jeopardy. So as a civilian if I open fire in my driveway in the same situation, I would probably have some sort of charges filed against me, and would need a good attorney.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I don't know, I'm asking. It just seems to me, if I am shooting at someone in my driveway, someone is going to want some answers.
    I did however read the other story that they were attempting to break into his house.
    That would be the only reason I can think of as to why I would be shooting at someone in my driveway.

I thought you can only shoot at someone if you feel like your life is in jeopardy. So as a civilian if I open fire in my driveway in the same situation, I would probably have some sort of charges filed against me, and would need a good attorney.
    You would have to explain and justify your response just as this officer will.

If someone attempts to run or back over you with an automobile...I would think your life is in jeopardy. I know mine would be.

But you, just like this cop will have to justify your actions.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    We'll have to see how it plays out. Thanks for the reply public servant. If they have questioned the people in the car, I'm sure they ran them for priors.
    I doubt they were there to wish him a happy new year.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Psssssst,

Not in fear for his life. ;)
    If a person attempted to back over you where would the shots be fired? I read one article that says the shots were fired as the driver backed into the officer. Another account by a person who stated they knew the driver and his father states the bullets struck the windshield. I wasn't there. I don't know. I'll leave the speculation to the experts.

I'll also leave you this:

www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.in.gov%2Flegislative%2Fic%2F2010%2Ftitle35%2Far41%2Fch3.html&ei=f7zEUtL2E-mfyQHk4IHICw&usg=AFQjCNEFyuBKc1CcagmuuFQXGxRH8rCdMw&bvm=bv.58187178,d.aWc

GunnerDan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clark County Indiana
    Man are you ever right. I'm a cop and I don't know how long it would take me to type out the long list of felonies I've committed and just when I thought I was going down the prosecutors found out I had a badge and I was let off Scott free. You're really missing out not being a cop, life's so easy it's ridiculous. You should try it sometime.

So, a civilian in the EXACT same scenario shooting at a FLEEING automobile wouldnt be charged with a crime? We hear all the time that we are legally allowed to defend ourselves until the threat is no longer a threat. So, a fleeing vehicle would no longer be a threat. I am trying to wrap my head around someone shooting at a fleeing vehicle when the threat is obviously gone. So please let me know. Oh and for the record I wasnt there, I am not going to MMQB what happened.

Gunner

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    So, a civilian in the EXACT same scenario shooting at a FLEEING automobile wouldnt be charged with a crime? We hear all the time that we are legally allowed to defend ourselves until the threat is no longer a threat. So, a fleeing vehicle would no longer be a threat. I am trying to wrap my head around someone shooting at a fleeing vehicle when the threat is obviously gone. So please let me know. Oh and for the record I wasnt there, I am not going to MMQB what happened.

Gunner

Neither was I and neither am I so the answer to your question is "I don't know". Did he shoot at a fleeing vehicle? I don't know, wasn't there. Do I believe the media story as it's written? Not as long as I possess the common sense of a rodent.

GunnerDan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clark County Indiana
    Neither was I and neither am I so the answer to your question is "I don't know". Did he shoot at a fleeing vehicle? I don't know, wasn't there. Do I believe the media story as it's written? Not as long as I possess the common sense of a rodent.

I will agree about believing any story the mainstream news media puts out. BUT, in that vein, from what I understand that if a criminal is fleeing from you, and since the threat is no longer a threat, then a person no longer has the legal ability to use deadly force. In the case of a fleeing vehicle no threat no shot. I have seen the video of where a police officer shot at a fleeing van, again I wasnt there so I wont MMQB but I would think that any fleeing vehicle unless the driver or passenger was actively attempting to shoot at the officer the threat is gone, and the legal authority to use deadly force would no longer be authorized. Again just trying to understand.

Gunner

Top Bottom