• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Good grief! A puppy 4 months old?? Eight times?? You've got to be kidding. Even if it was really charging, what could it do? One good kick would send it running back the other way. At four months, it's hard to believe it was being anything but playful. Was the cop afraid the pup might lick him?? This is getting to be routine in Chicago. Just last December the Chicago cops shot a Miniature Bull Terrier pup (the Target dog) in a residential area of Chicago. Will either one of these guys be disciplined?? Probably not.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    They always said I was special. Usually they said it more like, "special," though. Like, with a smile and a slow nod.

I can only speak for myself, but my reference to 'special ones' meant de fact exemption from the standards that would be applied to the rest of us.

92LX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Would you guys shoot a raccoon if it was charging you? A cute, cuddly, 8-pound little ball of fury covered with disease?

Oh man, I sure would. Especially if it running away with my chicken.

I am with Hoosierdoc on this.

It YOUR job to keep YOUR dog under YOUR control. If you lose YOUR control, you place YOUR dog under someone else's control and their decision making authority and you get to deal with the aftermath. Leashes are not that expensive. Accidents happen, but you best be doing your best fix it. I.E. dog got out, you better be running after it trying to get it back under control.

If I could not intercept (tackle and restrain) my dog from causing harm to someone else, I would consider shooting it to protect the someone else. (Home invaders excluded of course)

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    are you trying to claim that society deems that it's ok for the police, but not private citizens to shoot a pitbull that charges children?

I am not sure if he was claiming that, but it does not take much looking into and you will find that society not only deems it ok for police to shoot dogs without justifiable cause, but also humans. Hell, those 2 women in LA were delivering newspapers and were fired upon what, almost 100 times? Not much of an investigation into that one, was there? How many others were shot at, or run off the road while police were looking for Dormer? And that is just one example. If a law abiding citizen defends themself with a firearm, look out. But an off duty cop shoots a 4 month old puppy 8 times and his daughter that he is protecting is halfway down the street, oh well, should have been on a leash.

Sonney

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    I would do anything to save my child from harm. Sorry for the family that lost the dog but it should have been leashed. With the rep. of the pit bull I don't blame the cop in the least or anyone else.

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    It YOUR job to keep YOUR dog under YOUR control. If you lose YOUR control, you place YOUR dog under someone else's control and their decision making authority and you get to deal with the aftermath. Leashes are not that expensive. Accidents happen, but you best be doing your best fix it. I.E. dog got out, you better be running after it trying to get it back under control.

Well put Sir. The complete responsibility lies with the owner.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Well put Sir. The complete responsibility lies with the owner.

Problem is some people own dogs that think government and other people should be responsible to them. There dogs attacks someone and you defend yourself asnd hurt their dog they will hold you responsible...and may come after you......these are our problem children.

RFox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    West side Indy
    Been dog bit several times.....not one time before being attacked and bit did they bark. The last one that attacked was a Rot an he wasn't barking either......I only had to shoot once with the Mossberg......its all about shot placement.

all about shot placement with a shotgun? uh.. ok. for the record my dogs do not bark before they bite. a 16 week old pup attacking would be a rare case indeed though but if it were my kid i thought was in danger i cant say what id do. probably grab the dog and hand it to its owner though. both sides of this are a bit wrong.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    are you trying to claim that society deems that it's ok for the police, but not private citizens to shoot a pitbull that charges children?

As usual, you are apparently incapable of grasping what should be a simple point (or choose not to for the sake of being difficult). My point is that ending a threat (assuming that one existed in the first place) does not require firing until the target has been reduced to an indistinguishable glob of red meat or the officer runs out of ammunition, whichever comes first.

It seems that we have a disturbing trend in which anything that spooks a cop, questions one, is found passed out drunk, offend's a cop's sensibilities, or vaguely resembles a fugitive (i.e., driving a pickup truck with no real similarity) ends up dead so long as the police don't run out of ammunition before getting the job done--as people like you cheer them on.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I read all of your post. Sorry it hurt your feelings.

Alright, let me break it down for you then. My post in this thread had absolutely nothing to do with dogs attacking. I only commented on the ignorance of people with regard to the "pit bull" breed. You would have understood this if you had the reading comprehension of a fourth grader, so it seems I gave you too much credit when I assumed you simply didn't read the first part of my post. It has nothing to do with my feelings being hurt, but it has everything to do with you being an *******. I post a picture of one of my dogs and talk about a breed being misunderstood, and you talk about killing it if it comes running into your yard. Completely and totally out of line of you to talk about killing my dog, no matter the context. You're just seem dick who thinks that you're tougher than you really are. Such a big man to threaten to kill a dog that's "attacking you."

I can link up pics a few hundred vicious pitbulls and wounded and scarred children. You would say that proves nothing...

And I can link up a few hundred pictures of viscous NON-pit bull type dogs and wounded/scarred children. You would say THAT proves nothing...

I always keep my dogs under control, but it's not unreasonable to think that a dog may slip off a leash at some point, and to say that the owner is irresponsible because of this is just ludicrous. Are some of you here really suggesting that if a dog happens to slip off a leash and it comes into your yard at more than a walk, that you are entitled to kill it? Truly sickening.

What happened to treating others the way you'd like to be treated? Being neighborly?

As usual, you are apparently incapable of grasping what should be a simple point (or choose not to for the sake of being difficult). My point is that ending a threat (assuming that one existed in the first place) does not require firing until the target has been reduced to an indistinguishable glob of red meat or the officer runs out of ammunition, whichever comes first.

It seems that we have a disturbing trend in which anything that spooks a cop, questions one, is found passed out drunk, offend's a cop's sensibilities, or vaguely resembles a fugitive (i.e., driving a pickup truck with no real similarity) ends up dead so long as the police don't run out of ammunition before getting the job done--as people like you cheer them on.

Can someone rep him for me??

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass

:ar15::ar15::ar15::ar15::ar15:

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    I always keep my dogs under control, but it's not unreasonable to think that a dog may slip off a leash at some point, and to say that the owner is irresponsible because of this is just ludicrous. Are some of you here really suggesting that if a dog happens to slip off a leash and it comes into your yard at more than a walk, that you are entitled to kill it? Truly sickening.

What happened to treating others the way you'd like to be treated? Being neighborly?

I don't care where you live or what kinda dog you own...if it chases after my kid in a threatening manner, I hope for the dog's sake you take care of it before I do.

Lose dogs are the fault of the owner 100% of the time

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I don't care where you live or what kinda dog you own...if it chases after my kid in a threatening manner, I hope for the dog's sake you take care of it before I do.

Lose dogs are the fault of the owner 100% of the time

Again, my post in this thread said nothing of the sort, only that people in this thread are ignorant of "pit bull" type dogs. You're right, it is the fault of the owner 100% of the time, but that does not suggest that they are flat out irresponsible, and it sure as Hell doesn't warrant killing the dog. Not that you suggested this to be true, but some in here have hinted at it.

Of course I expect a legitimate threat to be neutralized, but it better damn well be a threat, just as when human threats are neutralized.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Again, my post in this thread said nothing of the sort, only that people in this thread are ignorant of "pit bull" type dogs. You're right, it is the fault of the owner 100% of the time, but that does not suggest that they are flat out irresponsible, and it sure as Hell doesn't warrant killing the dog. Not that you suggested this to be true, but some in here have hinted at it.

Of course I expect a legitimate threat to be neutralized, but it better damn well be a threat, just as when human threats are neutralized.

The story was about an off duty cop who shot a dog chasing his kid. The owners might not be irresponsible, but they are responsible for the death of their pet by their actions. The officer need not wait for the dog to bite. There are way too many cases of cops killing dogs that stink and it makes me sad/mad. In this case on the surface, it sounds legit.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Alright, let me break it down for you then. My post in this thread had absolutely nothing to do with dogs attacking. I only commented on the ignorance of people with regard to the "pit bull" breed. You would have understood this if you had the reading comprehension of a fourth grader, so it seems I gave you too much credit when I assumed you simply didn't read the first part of my post. It has nothing to do with my feelings being hurt, but it has everything to do with you being an *******. I post a picture of one of my dogs and talk about a breed being misunderstood, and you talk about killing it if it comes running into your yard. Completely and totally out of line of you to talk about killing my dog, no matter the context. You're just seem dick who thinks that you're tougher than you really are. Such a big man to threaten to kill a dog that's "attacking you."

And I can link up a few hundred pictures of viscous NON-pit bull type dogs and wounded/scarred children. You would say THAT proves nothing...

Can someone rep him for me??

Wow....you are such a mature person....your name calling proves it....go back and read your own words....at the bottom of the picture about anyone doing any harm to my dog....I just pointed out if your dogs comes at me in my yard you shouldn't an better not be aggresive towards the shooter....your feelings get hurt and you start with name calling which looses the debate, so then you try and change the debate and ignore what you said. Grow up.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Wow....you are such a mature person....your name calling proves it....go back and read your own words....at the bottom of the picture about anyone doing any harm to my dog....I just pointed out if your dogs comes at me in my yard you shouldn't an better not be aggresive towards the shooter....your feelings get hurt and you start with name calling which looses the debate, so then you try and change the debate and ignore what you said. Grow up.

:rolleyes:

Talk about killing my dog and you expect me to continue with "the debate?" What world do you live in?

Last edited:

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis

Great post. I've noticed this trend as well and it's horrifying.

Top Bottom