Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Thread title is misleading....like something the media would write.:noway:

The dad got what he deserved.

His sister said he was a good man and yada yada yada...sound familiar?:rolleyes:

Let's be fair. Children die everyday due to mistakes. Who here has not had a child stick something into a socket and didn't get shocked; touch a stove that happened to be cool; run into the street without looking, but there was no cars coming; or anything similar? Things happen and when they do, people react in ways that can be opposite of their true identity or personality. If I were in that father's shoes, I don't know what I would do. Besides, just because the dad chose the wrong action and fought the officer, does that automatically negate everything he did and stood for prior to the event? Does getting killed make him a bad man?

Just like everything else dealing with stories like this, we don't have all the answers. What if the officer said, "Yeah, too bad, I bet you will keep the rest of your kids out of the street!" and the dad reacted to that? It's not a justification for his action, but IF his daugher had not been killed, and IF the officer had not been riding down that street, and IF the little girl had not ran into the street, and IF the parent(s) would have been more responsible, and IF . . . The bottom line in my view is the guy had to defend himself and he did it. Did the father get what he deserved? If one believes the death of his daughter and his own demise is what he deserved, then I guess so.

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    When I was in Chicago at Stroger hospital for a month I saw a guy who did the same thing. He was in a car, a girl darted out on a bike and he knocked her over. Didn't hurt her badly, but 10+ guys started beating the hell out of him when he got out to check on her.

The cops there told me to not stop in Chicago if you hit a pedestrian as you may be killed
    By onlookers.

Lovely city, Chicago. Sorry the officer is dealin with this and a girl and her father died.

Last edited:

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I am pretty sure that "I'm a police officer" was not the best comment to open with.
    How about "Sorry, I tried to stop." "I am trying to help."

Shoot was justified IMHO, just sayin...

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    You just left a Sox game. You get lost and are driving around a neighborhood that you are definately an outsider in just trying to find an entrance to the expressway. It is a hot summer day and there are alot of people outside hanging out. A kid jumps out in front of you from behind a parked car. You hit the kid. Several people gather they are cussing and angry. You are unarmed and it's just you and your wife. You don't know where the nearest police station is. What do you do? Do you get out to see how the kid is and call 911?
    Putting the bike down it may not have been an option for the LEO to leave and being armed he had the ability to defend himself. But what if ?

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Let's be fair. Children die everyday due to mistakes. Who here has not had a child stick something into a socket and didn't get shocked; touch a stove that happened to be cool; run into the street without looking, but there was no cars coming; or anything similar? Things happen and when they do, people react in ways that can be opposite of their true identity or personality. If I were in that father's shoes, I don't know what I would do. Besides, just because the dad chose the wrong action and fought the officer, does that automatically negate everything he did and stood for prior to the event? Does getting killed make him a bad man?

Just like everything else dealing with stories like this, we don't have all the answers. What if the officer said, "Yeah, too bad, I bet you will keep the rest of your kids out of the street!" and the dad reacted to that? It's not a justification for his action, but IF his daugher had not been killed, and IF the officer had not been riding down that street, and IF the little girl had not ran into the street, and IF the parent(s) would have been more responsible, and IF . . . The bottom line in my view is the guy had to defend himself and he did it. Did the father get what he deserved? If one believes the death of his dauther and his own demise is what he deserved, then I guess so.

Que, I know enough about you to guarantee you wouldn't beat a man without good reason. The dad did not fight the officer, he chose to beat him and most likely would not have stopped.

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago
    You just left a Sox game. You get lost and are driving around a neighborhood that you are definately an outsider in just trying to find an entrance to the expressway. It is a hot summer day and there are alot of people outside hanging out. A kid jumps out in front of you from behind a parked car. You hit the kid. Several people gather they are cussing and angry. You are unarmed and it's just you and your wife. You don't know where the nearest police station is. What do you do? Do you get out to see how the kid is and call 911?
    Putting the bike down it may not have been an option for the LEO to leave and being armed he had the ability to defend himself. But what if ?

Rule #9, always have a knife. I'd be bringing an entourage to hell with me.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Que, I know enough about you to guarantee you wouldn't beat a man without good reason. The dad did not fight the officer, he chose to beat him and most likely would not have stopped.

Your assessment of his action is more accurate. It was more of a beating than how I described it. However, I'm just not sure how I would react after seeing my daughter hit. Since the girl did live, I suspect I would be holding her and thanking God too much to be concerned with the motorcyclist, but I just don't know. All I'm suggesting is that the guy may have had a mental lapse and COULD HAVE BEEN a decent person prior to his lapse in judgement.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    A decent person would tend to the injured kid.

Beating the person who injured her in an accident is a showing of true character, not a "lapse". Shame the POS has more kids.............bet the apples fell right at the trunk.

Cop should have been driving a tank and taken the whole dam fam out.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    A decent person would tend to the injured kid.

Beating the person who injured her in an accident is a showing of true character, not a "lapse". Shame the POS has more kids.............bet the apples fell right at the trunk.

Cop should have been driving a tank and taken the whole dam fam out.

Just like I said before, we don't know the whole story and it's easy for anyone to say what a "decent" person would have done.

I don't know why you are so emotionally involved and would wish the destruction of an entire family over this, but that's your choice. However, a decent person would consider all the known facts and then reserve judgement concerning what is not known or completely understood. He certainly wouldn't wish death upon innocent people. So, all I can say is I believe the offiicer shot in self defense; thank God the little girl is alive; and the father is dead because he chose to attack someone who was prepared to defend himself.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    You seem to be more emotionally involved, esp when certain folks get popped.

I don't think it's any more the case than others on this board. :dunno: I have only stated my opinion in this case and you will never find where I have advocated for the death of a family due to the stupidity of their criminal relative.

shortyforty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    middlebury
    The cop may have done the right thing , but his assailant was unarmed and god save the cop if the dad had a bag of skittles. This is however more proof that a police officers life in Illinois is worth more then any civilian , any one else would have been unarmed and would have had to take the beating

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    The cop may have done the right thing , but his assailant was unarmed and god save the cop if the dad had a bag of skittles. This is however more proof that a police officers life in Illinois is worth more then any civilian , any one else would have been unarmed and would have had to take the beating

I guess you missed the part where the motorcycle rider had broken bones from the crash and was getting the **** kicked out of him by two guys.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I guess you missed the part where the motorcycle rider had broken bones from the crash and was getting the **** kicked out of him by two guys.

Frank, I dont think he missed that part at all, he is just griping because civilians in that state are forcibly disarmed by the State.

Basically, he was saying what if that had been me or him that had to shoot that guy, we would be in jail for defending our lives with a firearm that we were unlawfully carrying.

Flyguy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rural Franklin
    It is what it is.

This thread has become nothing more than cop bashing.

If the guy wasn't a cop you would all be saying he was justified.

Double standard.

Top Bottom