• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunfan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 11, 2008
    Mooresville
    If you have Netflix, there is a really neat documentary called "Off the Grid-Llife On the Mesa". It's basically about an entire community of people who wanted to get away from normal life and live out in the middle of the desert. No electric, phones, etc. Check it out if you get a chance.

Last edited:

Chris08110

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Just finished watching it. It's really interesting but the people are more like homeless than what most people think of "off the grid". Even though it wasn't what I thought it'd be, I still couldn't stop watching it. Pretty interesting!! Thanks for the link.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i agree chris08, they definitely were not off the grid as they got almost all their food from a food bank delivery. but they do endure in a harsh land scape. imo again they aren't near as off the grid as they think they are with the free gifts from the government. definitely a good watch though

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Not my idea of off the grid..

Self-sufficiency and living off the land, not trading pot and living like a slob.

No money for food but they can afford booze.

I understand that some are vets and might be pretty screwed up but come on.

Last edited:

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I started to watch it, but it reminded me too much of the homeless, er shelter challenged that hang out at the Library in town. Kinda like "Hobo's Homland", but interesting to know it's out there.

Chris08110

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    If you are going to live the way they choose, wouldn't you at least locate yourself near some source of water and in an area where you could hunt or grow food? They got their food from a food bank and hauled water in or attempted to catch rainwater? Doesn't seem like the best place to try to live on your own. It was an interesting documentary in a wierd kind of way though.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Actually the area is perfect. Land is running about $1000 an acre, a septic system in the neighborhood of $5000 with a properly built rainwater collection system you would have water for irrigation and household use.

Soil amendments would provide you with good quality soil for growing your own food, room for livestock.

That is actually a preppers dream.

Now the expensive part would be a well, in that area a drilled well will run you about 10,000 to 20,000 dollars but it could happen.

A solar array with batteries and inverter, a small wind system, and a propane fired generator for backup. On Demand hot water system uses very little propane, and in the event of a major collapse barring an attack from our own military it could be a very good location defense wise with the open area. Provide NO cover for would be bad guys.

For under $100,000 you could have a nice energy efficient home completely off the grid on 10 acres of property.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Interesting watch. They aren't living off the grid so much as they're living on the fringe. They are still totally reliant on society (a society they despise BTW) to provide for them. If the food bank stops delivering them food and the gas stations stopped pumping gas they're dead. That's not self reliant.

The guy in Alaska is a whole different story. He is very self reliant, but still requires some supplies come in from the civilized world. I think I'd rather model him.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    there might have been a couple good people there, but the majority looked like a bunch of outcast and drug adicts to me. deffinately not the place i wanna be. plus not realy off the grid if they rely on the outside for food. plus i understand they are in the middle of no-where but how about at least keeping your yard and dwelling picked up? geesh, i guess some people can live in filth, i cant. yeah you will get dirty but keep things picked up, that place is a train wreck.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom