Offerings comparable to the Strider PT CC?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've been hunting for a Strider PT CC for a couple of years now to no avail. I have two of the PT's and it is far and away my favorite knife. I find a smaller knife to be much more practical for daily carry and would like a CC model for when I don't want a pocket clip showing.

Does anyone know of a knife comparable in size, design and quality to the Strider PT CC? I'm not a fan of Spyderco or Cold Steel and I'm not a huge knife guy so I'm not that familiar with the market.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I'm a white-collar kind of worker so the smaller folders appeal to me as well. I carry the Benchmade Emisary but it might be a little small for you, I don't know. 3" blade of S30V.

Overall length when closed is under 4" and the pocket clip can be removed.

UGaARguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2015
    Lawrence County
    Phylo, do you want a frame lock or are you open to other lock types? How much larger or smaller can the knife be and still be similar enough for you? Are you open to something prettier since this sounds (err reads) like it might be more of a gentleman's knife? Are you okay with removing a pocket clip? What's your max budget?

Without knowing any of the above I'll suggest a Chris Reeve Mnandi, Lion Steel Ti Spine, and Lionsteel SR 2.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    There's one on the USN Cove for $350 with a nice looking leather sheath. If you're interested in it, PM me and I'll copy / paste the ad. I don't mind being the middle man.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Phylo, do you want a frame lock or are you open to other lock types? How much larger or smaller can the knife be and still be similar enough for you? Are you open to something prettier since this sounds (err reads) like it might be more of a gentleman's knife? Are you okay with removing a pocket clip? What's your max budget?

Without knowing any of the above I'll suggest a Chris Reeve Mnandi, Lion Steel Ti Spine, and Lionsteel SR 2.
    \

I'm not a huge knife guy so budget is limited. I don't abuse my Striders but I do use them so I'm not looking for one to put in the safe as part of a collection. My carry knives are used for opening boxes, cutting rope or cord and other relatively easy tasks but I want something that can stand up to heavy use in an emergency. I'm really pleased with the size of the blade as well as the folded size of the PT. I'm wanting something without a pocket clip or sharp edges when it's closed so it'll slip into a pocket easily. I don't know enough about the different lock types to have an educated opinion on them. I carried Emerson knives with the wave feature for many years before moving to the Striders which I felt were stronger and had better blade material.

UGaARguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2015
    Lawrence County
    I'm wanting something without a pocket clip or sharp edges when it's closed so it'll slip into a pocket easily. I don't know enough about the different lock types to have an educated opinion on them. I carried Emerson knives with the wave feature for many years before moving to the Striders which I felt were stronger and had better blade material.
    I've also owned Emersons and I wasn't impressed with them either. Liner locks are some of the weakest lock mechanisms out there. Frame locks are significantly stronger. Chris Reeve invented the frame lock, and his company has dominated the knife industry in quality. He was also one of the primary knife makers Crucible consulted with to develop CPM-S30V and CPM-S35VN blade steels. The Reeve Mnandi does have a clip, but it includes a nice calf skin slip pouch for pocket carry. The small Sebenza also has a pocket clip, but a similar calf leather pouch is sold as an accessory. The Mnandi is basically a more rounded off Sebenza with wood overlays to make it more pocketable and more visualy pleasing.

LionSteel took the Reeve frame lock and went a step further when they introduced the SR-1 which has the entire handle made from a single piece of titanium. The SR-2 is their smaller size version. The TiSpine is basically their Mnandi. They took their titanium monoframe and slimmed it down into a far more pocketable gentleman's knife with Uddeholm Elmax blade steel (which is actually a bit nicer than S30V and S35VN).

The strongest lock currently on the market is the McHenry & Williams Axis lock, which Benchmade has licensed exclusive use of. The Benchmade 940-1 Osborne is so thin and light (2.44 oz) that I wouldn't hesitate to remove the clip and carry it all the way in a pocket. The CPM-S90V blade steel will hold an edge significantly longer than comparably heat treated CPM-S30V.

However, it appears someone has found you a PT CC, so the above might be a good reference for the next time the bug strikes you with the itch to buy a new knife.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I would go with the PT CC. It is borderline impossible to beat Strider for knives that can take a beating. The Mnandi as mentioned above is nice but it utilizes a nail nick to open the blade so quick deployment can be an issue. The 940-1 is nice but I would be worried about it holding up to heavy use. Lionsteel is nice but most models are either fairly fat and or more gentlemans oriented knives and not the no frills get the job done vibe of the Strider.

UGaARguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2015
    Lawrence County
    The Mnandi as mentioned above is nice but it utilizes a nail nick to open the blade so quick deployment can be an issue.

It's actually more of a large depression in the blade. It's functionally the same as the hole Strider uses.
    The 940-1 is nice but I would be worried about it holding up to heavy use.
    Your worries are unfounded. The Axis lock is far stronger than any frame lock, and those solid carbon fiber slabs surrounding the lock's steel subframe are incredibly strong. The S90V blade steel isn't quite as tough (impact resistant) as S30V, but the OP is cutting carboard, rope, and cordage; all three of which favor S90V's superior abrasion resistance and edge holding.
    Lionsteel is nice but most models are either fairly fat and or more gentlemans oriented knives and not the no frills get the job done vibe of the Strider.
    Which is why I specifically mentioned the TiSpine as the slim alternative to the SR-1 and SR-2. It's a rather rugged knife in a dressed up package. It also has an Elmax blade. Elmax is far tougher than S30V, is much more abrasion resistant than S30V, and has significantly better edge retention than S30V.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Comparable to strider:
    Grayman Knives (a Dua would be great for pocket carry)
    Three Sisters Forge (a Beast would also be great for pocket carry)
    Hinderer (Overpriced IMHO, but they are good knives)

The Grayman or TSF would be my choice. They're probably one of the best bang for your buck knives out there, and built every bit as tough as a Strider. I'd personally take a Grayman or TSF over a Strider.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Your worries are unfounded. The Axis lock is far stronger than any frame lock, .

Not to start a lock up war but I would suggest you watch these two videos and then re-evaluate this statement.

Turn on the English subtitles though

http://youtu.be/LWz_JLXgIL0 Benchmade Adamas, Arguably one of the strongest knives using the Axis lock mechanism.

VS

http://youtu.be/AW0TVkcBFkw ZT0550 frame lock

Then check out his table of all the knives he has tested

https://www.youtube.com/redirect?q=...y2ECmgsEV1Rf07EV8MTQyNTIxOTEwNUAxNDI1MTMyNzA1

Benchmade scored an 85% and the ZT 0550 a 96%

UGaARguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2015
    Lawrence County
    Not to start a lock up war but I would suggest you watch these two videos and then re-evaluate this statement.
    That's one guy, doing non scientific testing on single samples. It's about as reliable as a Cold Steel hype video. I've spoken to the manufacturers at Blade. When they put several examples of each knife on destructive testing equipment that actually measures lock strength the Axis lock comes out on top. Spyderco says their ball bearing / caged ball bearing locks are just as strong as an Axis lock (it's a very similar mechanism), and that their compression locks are also comparable in strength (which I don't doubt since it's functionally similar). Cold Steel claims that outside of the marketing hype videos they've tested the Andrew Demko designed Triad lock they use to be stronger than anything any competitor offers. I'm not sure if I believe them, but the changes that make a Triad lock stronger than a conventional lockback are significant, and the Triad lock does use some of the Axis / BB / Compression lock principles.

Even if I'm wrong and your unscientific youtube is guy right (we'll pretend for the sake of discussion), he still says the BM Adamas is 88.5% as strong as the ZT 0550. Either way both locks are incredibly strong. Both locks are going to hold to Extreme abuse. Even if that one unscientific test shows a frame lock to be stronger than an Axis lock it still proves that an Axis lock will take an incredible amount of abuse. The video proves that one shouldn't worry about an Axis lock holding up to heavy use.

Last, I actually carry a ZT 0801 everyday over several other knives I own, including a Benchmade / Ritter RSK Mk1 Griptillian. I prefer the speed of opening that a well detented frame lock flipper with ball bearing pivot gives me. I like the tested toughness of Elmax blade steel. I find the frame lock to be more than strong enough for my uses despite knowing the testing manufacturers have done on other locks.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Like I said, I didn't want to start a lock up war. No the testing was not scientific, but it was more about real world survival usage of a folder. And just plain seeing what the knives can actually handle before they fail. By the end of the video the Adams' Axis lock was destroyed beyond repair. The ZT's frame lock was just stuck a little and actually the lockup got tighter with abuse. I used to hate frame locks until I saw that video I thought they were just a glorified liner lock but they are actually pretty damn tough. I actually prefer the Axis lock and lock back designs over frame locks still but only because they are truly ambidextrous not because I believe that they are any less reliable anymore. My EDC is a Benchmade Griptillian with the axis lock mechanism. So we seem to be opposites in this regard.

I will never be 100% satisfied with a liner lock though and no one will ever be able to convince me that they are reliable for anything other than the most basic of cutting chores.

Back to the OP. I think since you are used to frame locks and are looking for a higher end knife ZT probably has something for you. Or a Sebenza would be awesome if you're looking for something more elegant.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Comparable to strider:
    Grayman Knives (a Dua would be great for pocket carry)
    Three Sisters Forge (a Beast would also be great for pocket carry)
    Hinderer (Overpriced IMHO, but they are good knives)

The Grayman or TSF would be my choice. They're probably one of the best bang for your buck knives out there, and built every bit as tough as a Strider. I'd personally take a Grayman or TSF over a Strider.

I just ordered a Dua to replace my ZT. It's a bit smaller of a knife than I was looking for, but met all my other "requirements" (built like a tank... built by a custom maker/small shop in the US, yet not remotely fancy so I don't mind using it). If I like it, the Satu is next.

Top Bottom