• ...and so much more!
  • norsk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    Here is a link to a kind of funny story:

Half-naked officer chases 98-cent thief

Aside from being amusing, it raises the following question in my mind: what if a non-LEO did this? From my reading of the story, the officer chased the man down while carrying his gun in his hand (because he didn't have a holster). Thus, he was running down the street "waiving" his gun around. Further, once he had the guy down on the ground, since he was holding onto his gun he was effectively holding the guy at gunpoint. Finally, I don't think there would be any way for the officer to justifiably say he felt his life was in danger while the guy rooted through his car.

To be clear, I have NO problem with the actions of the officer. But could someone who is non-LEO do the *exact same thing* and not get into any trouble?

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Why could a private citizen not? The threat of deadly force isn't deadly force. I'd pat a private citizen on the back, and ask if he need 2 cents to make it an even dollar.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Stealing from me, ANYTHING from me, on my property is a threat against my family and will be dealt with accordingly.

This cop could have had a gun in the vehicle that he was afraid the guy took, also he could have stolen enough information to later steal his identity and ruin his credit. The thing is, when it is happening, no one knows what is really going on and I for one am FED UP with losers thinking that they can just waltz around stealing small stuff because "no one cares". Well, I care. +1 for this cop.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I'd pay $500 for a can of mace to spray in the face of the guy who stole my $50 mower last week. Its not about money, its about what's mine is mine, not yours to steal.

It was a serious question, I don't know. I would never use mace.

I agree but won't put much effort in tracking down .98 cents. How would the officer even know what had been stolen? The officer did what he should have done IMO. I just saying I doubt I will be the one chasing them down that what the cops are for. If I can stop them I will but chase? not me.:twocents:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    You could get in serious trouble. Petty theft is not a forcible felony.
    Hmmm, there is no "petty theft" in Indiana. There is Theft and it is a Felony. There is no minimum value. If I was called to a scene of an attempted theft from a vehicle and the owner had pointed a handgun at the suspects to get them to stop...and they complied, I would shake the owner's hand. Now I have a good arrest (theft or attempted theft and maybe criminal mischief) of 1 or more "dirty butts" that probably broke into many other vehicles (not that we can prove it) but they will think twice about returning to that area again. We as Police CANNOT do this alone. Most of my crimes in progress arrests are from concerned neighbors who care enough to call 911. What use would it be for me to jamb up a citizen who was doing the right thing. They will get slack from me. I would expect the same. Many of my co-workers feel the same way...the rest I have yet to ask ;)

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Any theft is a felony? If I caught a 13 year old stealing a candy bar, I could draw down on him? I'm not trying to stir the pot, I'm just trying to clarify...

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    Any theft is a felony? If I caught a 13 year old stealing a candy bar, I could draw down on him? I'm not trying to stir the pot, I'm just trying to clarify...

Yes........Theft is a Felony in Indiana with no $$ amount mentioned. However most of what people would consider as "petty" is normally pled down to Misdemeanor Conversion.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Here is a link to a kind of funny story:

Half-naked officer chases 98-cent thief

Aside from being amusing, it raises the following question in my mind: what if a non-LEO did this? From my reading of the story, the officer chased the man down while carrying his gun in his hand (because he didn't have a holster). Thus, he was running down the street "waiving" his gun around. Further, once he had the guy down on the ground, since he was holding onto his gun he was effectively holding the guy at gunpoint. Finally, I don't think there would be any way for the officer to justifiably say he felt his life was in danger while the guy rooted through his car.

To be clear, I have NO problem with the actions of the officer. But could someone who is non-LEO do the *exact same thing* and not get into any trouble?

i dont know why, but cops can pretty much pull their gun on anyone and not face charges. you or I would be in jail unless a cop like Denny arrived. not for the running with our gun in our hand, but for the pointing it at a theif after we caught them yes.
    personally I wish in indiana we were allowed to shoot thieves we catch in the act, but thats a law we need to get changed so we can.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    So what's the difference between theft and conversion in layman's terms.

Honestly, at least from me, that would be a better question left for a prosecutor. If I arrest someone for Theft they get booked for Theft. It's the prosecutor that normally pleads it down to conversion.

As far as the actual IC codes( 35-43-4-2 for Theft and 35-43-4-3 for Conversion) Theft includes receiving stolen property but the verbage, at least for paragraph 1 for both read almost identical.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Add another "two cents" worth. Businesses can sue people who steal from them. I think that it is up to $300.00 for that .98 cent candy bar. It's a big business in larger chain stores. Yes, theft is theft. No difference in the actual charge. Some departments classify amounts for their stats.

Best bet for those concerned citizens is be a good witness. While some thefts are done at just a thought, there are many organized groups who will stop at nothing to get away.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    1032JBT, my oversight. Conversion (shoplifting) gives an officer a chance to write a ticket to first time offenders allowing officers to remain on the streets instead of too much time in booking for that .98 candy bar.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    So what's the difference between theft and conversion in layman's terms.
    I cannot outright arrest someone for conversion unless I witness it. I can for theft.If you steal I will charge you with theft. Conversion is there for the prosecutors to plea down to.

Top Bottom