• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fire Lord

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Around Franklin
    They tried to pull the handgun off the magnet without powering it down! After it went flying cartoon style from 3 feet! I lol'd. Still scary stuff. Thankfully, nobody was hurt. I just discovered a new gun. 1991 A1. Will have to research it. I thought it was a typo.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Hum.... Can we weaponize this....
    Mmmuuuhhhhaaaaaaa

Wait... Wait.... Have we not been told on ingo that this can not happen

It likely doesn't happen when every yokel says it "...just went off..." but if this is the type of extreme freak accident that it's going to happen I can buy it. Officer was likely on the low end of the educational spectrum to take a gun into an MRI room.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    It likely doesn't happen when every yokel says it "...just went off..." but if this is the type of extreme freak accident that it's going to happen I can buy it. Officer was likely on the low end of the educational spectrum to take a gun into an MRI room.

I'm sure this is not the first time a gun has been taken into an mri station.
    Most people donor realize the Mri has those huge magnets.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Glad no one was hurt. I am also glad this was a LEO as bad things would have probably happened to a citizen in NY. For some reason the idea of the nerds writing up a scientific paper on this struck me as funny.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Wow, impressive stuff..

When the firearm was removed from the magnet, the gun was still in a cocked and locked position. An empty cartridge was found in the chamber. The presence of an empty cartridge in the chamber is highly unusual. If the thumb safety were not engaged and the weapon fired normally by depressing the trigger, the normal backward recoil of the slide should have automatically ejected the empty cartridge, and a new live round should have automatically been chambered. As discussed earlier, the thumb safety performs two functions: it prevents the sear from releasing the hammer, thereby preventing the hammer from striking the firing pin; it also locks the slide in place, preventing retrograde motion of the slide and automatic ejection of the empty cartridge. Thus, the presence of an empty cartridge in the chamber confirms that the thumb safety was engaged at the time the gun was fired. Given that the thumb safety was engaged when the gun discharged, it is also likely that the normal trigger and hammer mechanism of firing the gun was bypassed because the thumb safety would have also prevented release of the hammer.

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County

And to to be carrying a 1991A1..instead of a 1911 hahaha :)

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    If you have ever had an MRI you know that the crew is usually VERY CAREFUL to make REAL freaking sure that you have removed and told them about any metal on/in you long before you ever get close to the room with the machine in it. This cop was obviously just allowed to walk in without speaking to anyone in control (pretty normal for a cop). There are usually signs warning people about being real stupid around VERY LARGE MAGNETS. So a "highly trained" cop walks in with all of his duty gear strapped on? So many levels of fail........

Last edited:
    Top Bottom