• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    I couldn't think of a better place to put this, so I suppose I'll just put it here. Mods, of course, feel free to move.

Anyway... I was recently (as in 3 hours ago) displaced from my job. I didn't do anything wrong or anything that I would consider grounds for firing, however the managers disagree.

My question is this: I've been looking to become an Officer for some time, but I've just put it out of my head because I had a decent and steady job with a reliable paycheck. Seeing as that's no longer the case, I was wondering if anyone knew which departments were hiring and how to go through the proper application process. I went down to the BPD place on 3rd and was told by the receptionist that they were not currently hiring, however... we also have IUPD, ISP, and the Sheriff's office, so I was wondering what my luck is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, if anyone needs to know more info, I'll gladly give it up.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    I couldn't think of a better place to put this, so I suppose I'll just put it here. Mods, of course, feel free to move.

Anyway... I was recently (as in 3 hours ago) displaced from my job. I didn't do anything wrong or anything that I would consider grounds for firing, however the managers disagree.

My question is this: I've been looking to become an Officer for some time, but I've just put it out of my head because I had a decent and steady job with a reliable paycheck. Seeing as that's no longer the case, I was wondering if anyone knew which departments were hiring and how to go through the proper application process. I went down to the BPD place on 3rd and was told by the receptionist that they were not currently hiring, however... we also have IUPD, ISP, and the Sheriff's office, so I was wondering what my luck is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, if anyone needs to know more info, I'll gladly give it up.

Not sure about Monroe County Sheriff's but IMPD is hiring;

Home

ISP is not currently hiring either and if you did get hired there you wouldn't necessarily be able to work at the Bloomington branch starting off, they put you were they need you and you can work your way to where you want when openings arise. At least this is how I understand it.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I am currently in the IMPD process right now. I got the letter to show up to the second physical testing!

Most departments, from what I have heard, take about as long as the IMPD to get folks hired or to Academy: Put it this way: I applied about January, starting to see heavy results now. It takes a LONG time; count on getting another job to "tide you over" as alot of departments aren't apply, two weeks later a handshake and a "you're in".

Also, from what I have heard from folks with the IMPD now: The recession has caused them to be flooded with applicants. They can now be VERY selective in who they let in. What do you have that you can offer them outside of a shooter and a body? College degrees help, but ones that are associated with police are a boon to an applicant (while I did not have a Criminology degree, my Communications degree helped out). Also, having a disagreement with coworkers or managers at your last job may have an impact upon it. You might want to try to rebuild a bridge with your last job.

Alot of folks right now, job wise at least, don't understand the power of the NATIONAL job search. If you have the right qualifications, jobs are out there, but you may have to move. I almost took a job at a printer up in Wisconsin until they told me the salary :D. Had to skip it, but, the opportunities are out there. If you aren't tied down to a family, that is a HUGE option. Also, college towns are horrible places to try to get jobs. I hated my first two weeks at school in Dayton even trying to find a minimum wage position ANYWHERE, let alone a reasonable job to pay my bills. Found one at a folding chair company, wasn't too bad!

Hope this helps...

coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana
    Pretty hard to get a decent job as a cop in Bloomington

It's always a "who you know not what you know" game in this town.

i know IUPD, you pretty much have to do through their recruit program as a student registered in CJ.

BPD I really doubt is hiring...

Bloomington Sheriff's department I don't think is hiring either.

But If I were looking for a job as a cop, I'd go Bloomington Sheriff's department, then BPD.

Do you have previous law enforcement experience? That would help a ton, lots of people "want to be cops".

Curious where you got fired from? Sadly, I've seen a few companies here in Bloomington making up bull**** reasons to "fire" people so those people cannot claim unemployment to save companies $$$.

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Curious where you got fired from? Sadly, I've seen a few companies here in Bloomington making up bull**** reasons to "fire" people so those people cannot claim unemployment to save companies $$$.

Best Buy. Got fired for attendance issues that occurred almost exactly 6 months apart. I think they're just looking to shave payroll.

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    You might try the Sheriff's Department. They seem to always be looking for jail personnel and sometimes that gives you a foot in the door. I don't think there are any open road positions at this time. You might also check with Owen County and Spencer PD. They are good departments to get you through the training, get some experience under your belt and then step up to a bigger department.

coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana
    Best Buy. Got fired for attendance issues that occurred almost exactly 6 months apart. I think they're just looking to shave payroll.

I'd still go and file for unemployment if you were full time, might win.

But sadly, you aren't the first to describe such an encounter in this economy in Bloomington...

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    i know IUPD, you pretty much have to do through their recruit program as a student registered in CJ.

If you're talking about IU's Cadet program then you do not need to be a CJ student to be a part of that program. Just a full time student with 2.0GPA or Higher and then the usual, US Citizen, no Felonies etc...

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    If you're talking about IU's Cadet program then you do not need to be a CJ student to be a part of that program. Just a full time student with 2.0GPA or Higher and then the usual, US Citizen, no Felonies etc...

Correct. My roommate is a CJ major, on top of like two other majors, while being IUPD but also has confirmed this. As far as I know, though, IU's PD also has full-time officers that do not go through the Cadet program. Of course, I could be wrong, but I do know they have full-time officers that do not operate as students.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    I know nothing about the Bloomington area, but I will add this. If you really want to get into Law Enforcement, don't limit yourself to just that area. Send out resume's (not that they help much but it will at least get you a letter back) to any and all agencies in the area you are willing to go, be it central Indiana, the entire state or even out of Indiana. Then fill out the applications for each (making copies will make it easier on you if you fill out a lot......trust me) and take every test you can get too.

Get a foot in the door somewhere and work to gain expierence, a lower paying cop job is better than no job. If after you are there for awhile and have some expierence, you can then look to go somewhere you want to work and do so as a lateral. There are lot's of places that say they are not hiring, but they are still hiring laterals to fill open slots because it's cheaper on them to not have to send people to ILEA.

If I can answer any questions for you or help you out in any other way, send me a PM.

Good Luck
    :patriot:

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Seeing as that's no longer the case, I was wondering if anyone knew which departments were hiring and how to go through the proper application process. I went down to the BPD place on 3rd and was told by the receptionist that they were not currently hiring, however... we also have IUPD, ISP, and the Sheriff's office, so I was wondering what my luck is.

With the economy and property tax caps, many departments are not hiring. IU is on a hiring freeze, unless the positions are really needed and the admin. approves the hiring (or hiring was approved before the budget cuts). I just looked at the IUB HR page and they don't show any jobs for police officers.

It appears ISP is taking applications NOW!!
    ISP: State Troopers

I was under the impression ISP just had a process and thousands applied, though I doubt most would ever make it as an officer...just a sign of the times when you have a HS diploma, your factory job is gone, and you see a job that only requires a GED but will end up paying $60K/year plus a take home. I don't know your background in terms of education/logic, but don't worry about hearing about thousands applying. These jobs get posted on the state job bank for unemployed people and too many automatically see "only GED/HS diploma" and a starting pay of $40K and think they actually have a shot...even though they don't have a lot going for them in terms of logic/education...meaning many won't have the intelligence to work as an LEO.

I would look at ISP, but don't forget excise or some of the smaller towns. Smaller departments can at least get you into the academy, and even the smallest of small towns usually pays almost $30K/year. Up here around Indy, you are looking at more closer to $35K-$43K/year in the smaller cities and towns.

The only other advice I can give, one that I should have taken long ago, and that I hear they give you at the academy: Don't feel like you are married to your first department, the one that gives you that shot. Be willing to move to better yourself if need be as well. (IMPORTANT NOTE!!: Most departments have a one year probation period, where they can, and might, fire you for _anything_. Indiana is an at will employment state, so this is legal. The only thing I suggest is that you decide how your department admin. will take hearing that you have applied at other departments. Sometimes, it is best to get that one year under your belt first. Also, if they know you are a short timer, some agencies won't send you to additional training and such, since you plan on taking all those skills with you within a few years anyway. Just some things to keep in mind!).

Most decent size departments up in the Indy area are now in the $42K-$60K/year range, with a take home car (worth at least $2,500/year), plus over-time (for now), plus the ability to work off-duty side jobs.

Also, due to the economy, some departments are not hiring..but keep an eye out for news about departments that are annexing land. The more they annex, the more likely they will need to hire..even if they have streamlined due to the economy. Greenwood is a city to watch and Google about every week. They might annex a large portion of NW Johnson County. It is a busy area and they would need bodies. Over the spring/summer I heard they started a process, but who knows how that will turn out. Trust me, there are a lot of people applying who don't have the intelligence/logic to do the job. Departments know this. Don't be surprised if you get in a process, they can the whole process, and a year later they are starting another one. Just keep applying.

Also, to not look like a complete idiot...make sure you can do the ILEA physical fitness _exit_ standards. Don't be one of the applicants who show up thinking "I know I can get through it because it counts TODAY!" If you can't do 25 push-ups the day before, you won't be able to do them then. If you can't do the 29 sit-ups within a min. the day before, you won't be able to do them the day of. If you can't lightly jog (they call it a run, which is laughable) a mile and a half in the 16 mins., 28 seconds they give you, you won't be able to do it the day of the test. I say aim for the exit standards because that will keep you in shape. It literally took me two days to be able to do the "run", with 2 mins. to spare, and I hadn't ran for over 12 years. Keep your body slim, do some push-ups and sit-ups every so often, you will be able to get to the exit standards within a weeks time...likely in four days time. Don't aim for the entrance standards, because if you barely make those, get hired, and flunk the exit standards, you might end up getting fired.

Any other questions, just ask.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008

Correct. My roommate is a CJ major, on top of like two other majors, while being IUPD but also has confirmed this. As far as I know, though, IU's PD also has full-time officers that do not go through the Cadet program. Of course, I could be wrong, but I do know they have full-time officers that do not operate as students.

If you don't have a family, and can deal with school for about two years....this is one of the easiest ways to at least get the academy certification. IUPD-Bloomington usually sends about 20ish or so college kids through their academy. It is a paid-part time gig, the non-sworn first year is security/dispatch (may have changed). You make maybe $7/hr, or min. wage if that is now higher. After you get sworn, you make around $10/hr. Obviously no benefits, so you will need to get student loans and such. They don't really care what your degree is in, but focus is on education. Don't appear to be someone who is doing "continuing studies," just taking easy classes here and there.

Get into school, pick something you can use, which to me would be nursing, chemistry, accounting...something that stands out from basic criminal justice. Study and you will do OK. Try to keep a good GPA, not just what is needed for the program. I know a lady who was in her late 20s or early 30s and went through. She was a dispatcher, wanting to be on the street. Her department keep feeding her the "Well, maybe the next slot that comes open." She finally banked enough money, got some loans, and went to school full-time and got the academy. Don't know if she ever became and officer, but she at least got something under her belt. IU cadets are all over this state, they work for a ton of departments. That degree and ILEA certification will help, a lot.

Not sure of your situation, but if you can live at home, do so. Focus on what you want in life, not the next keg party or going out to the bars, etc.. If you are not school material, change your thought process and become full-time school material. You have an ILEA academy right where you live. If life issues prevent you from doing this, then I understand...but if not, change your frame of mind and really think about going back to school.

IUPD Academy - Main

Also, while IUPD does have full-time officers, not from their academy (most cadets are from all over the state, so not all of them end up working for IU or Bloomington PD, etc.), it all goes back to who you know. If you are in that program, do a great job (no attendance issues allowed, unless you are ill), then they are more likely to hire you than someone else. If you plan to live in the are for the rest of your working life, then that might also help. Last I heard, given all the OT they offer due to football and basketball games, you can easily pull in over $60K/year as a full-time IUPD officer. Good luck.

Also, I know that so many cadets are now working their way to top admin. positions in many departments. In a few short years, it wouldn't surprise me to see many Chiefs in this state went through that academy. Most will likely hold it in high regard....especially if other officers in their agencies went through years later and they see that program really is putting out quality people.

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    If you don't have a family, and can deal with school for about two years....this is one of the easiest ways to at least get the academy certification. IUPD-Bloomington usually sends about 20ish or so college kids through their academy. It is a paid-part time gig, the non-sworn first year is security/dispatch (may have changed). You make maybe $7/hr, or min. wage if that is now higher. After you get sworn, you make around $10/hr. Obviously no benefits, so you will need to get student loans and such. They don't really care what your degree is in, but focus is on education. Don't appear to be someone who is doing "continuing studies," just taking easy classes here and there.

Get into school, pick something you can use, which to me would be nursing, chemistry, accounting...something that stands out from basic criminal justice. Study and you will do OK. Try to keep a good GPA, not just what is needed for the program. I know a lady who was in her late 20s or early 30s and went through. She was a dispatcher, wanting to be on the street. Her department keep feeding her the "Well, maybe the next slot that comes open." She finally banked enough money, got some loans, and went to school full-time and got the academy. Don't know if she ever became and officer, but she at least got something under her belt. IU cadets are all over this state, they work for a ton of departments. That degree and ILEA certification will help, a lot.

Not sure of your situation, but if you can live at home, do so. Focus on what you want in life, not the next keg party or going out to the bars, etc.. If you are not school material, change your thought process and become full-time school material. You have an ILEA academy right where you live. If life issues prevent you from doing this, then I understand...but if not, change your frame of mind and really think about going back to school.

IUPD Academy - Main

Also, while IUPD does have full-time officers, not from their academy (most cadets are from all over the state, so not all of them end up working for IU or Bloomington PD, etc.), it all goes back to who you know. If you are in that program, do a great job (no attendance issues allowed, unless you are ill), then they are more likely to hire you than someone else. If you plan to live in the are for the rest of your working life, then that might also help. Last I heard, given all the OT they offer due to football and basketball games, you can easily pull in over $60K/year as a full-time IUPD officer. Good luck.

Also, I know that so many cadets are now working their way to top admin. positions in many departments. In a few short years, it wouldn't surprise me to see many Chiefs in this state went through that academy. Most will likely hold it in high regard....especially if other officers in their agencies went through years later and they see that program really is putting out quality people.

This was actually my original plan. Due to financial issues I haven't been able to get everything set for school, but I was going to go through their Cadet program during school and run as a part-timer until I graduated and then see from there where I wanted to go with everything. Unfortunately, since I lost my job so suddenly, I'm just fishing for different departments to see if I can't nab one before school. If I can't land one now, then after I'm in IU I'll be going through that process anyway.

Thank you for all the info, everyone.

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    Monroe County does have some openings. I know they already have a list of applicants but it wouldn't hurt to contact them. I also know that Spencer PD asks you to stay with them for two years if they put you through the Academy.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Don't forget. the federal government is spending money hand over fist, keep an eye out on usajobs.gov for special agent recruitment. Pay and benefits are pretty good.

Top Bottom