• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    went out coyote hunting this morning to change things up a bit. We had the call going for a couple minutes and 6 does popped out into the field (towards the call!) 2 fawns with them and it's getting hard to even tell the yearlings apart in their first experience with snowfall, they're really getting big. No coyotes, but it was a good sight to see!

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Took Friday the 28th off and had a good day in the fresh snow. Shot Doe #1 at 7:40am. Got her gutted out and climbed back into my tree to sit for awhile. Shot Doe #2 at 9:30 in the same field as she was standing 10 yards from doe #1 laying on the ground. The Savage muzzleloader didn't let either deer get out of sight.

#1 weighed 107 on the scale and #2 weighed 115.

IMG_0611_zps6243d03f.jpg

445supermag

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Rising Sun, IN
    I USEDLY TAKE HEAD SHOTS ON DOES OR SMALL BUCKS NO TRACKING IN THEIR TRACKS. IF I HAVE TAKE A BODY SHOT IN THE LUNG ABOUT 50 YRDS USELDY OR SPINE SHOTS DROP IN THEIR TRACKS.A FEW YEAR AGO MY FREIND SHOT ON IN THE GUT WE HAD TO TRACK ON OVER 400 YRDS BEFORE WE FOUND THE DOE. I HAVE TAKEN DEER AS CLOSE THAN 10 YRDS TO AS FAR AWAY AS 126 YDS WITH A MUZZEL LOADER. TOOK A 60 YRD HEAD SHOT LAST YEAR ON A DOE.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Double fail for me yesterday.

35 yrd shot at a doe, I hit a half inch branch in front of her. Broke it in half she took off.

A yote came trotting my way after chewing on a past carcass I left. Shot and it took off. My arrow was broken in half. Every blade of my 125 grn spitfire was gone. Steady blood trail but not heavy like a lung shot.

After a mile, and not wanting to trespass I gave up trailing.

Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Took Friday the 28th off and had a good day in the fresh snow. Shot Doe #1 at 7:40am. Got her gutted out and climbed back into my tree to sit for awhile. Shot Doe #2 at 9:30 in the same field as she was standing 10 yards from doe #1 laying on the ground. The Savage muzzleloader didn't let either deer get out of sight.

#1 weighed 107 on the scale and #2 weighed 115.

IMG_0611_zps6243d03f.jpg
    Congrats on the does...I too use a Savage MLII..what load do you shoot? I shoot 57 gr Vihtavouri N120 with a 300 gr bullet..2265fps.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm using 44gr of Accurate 5744 under a 250gr Hornady XTP. I tried a bunch of different things and ended up coming back to one of the standard recommended loads from the Savage manual, haha.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I was blessed to wrap my season up Thursday morning with my last doe. I live in a 4 doe county and took a buck and 3 does in firearms, a button buck in muzzleloader and my last doe in the bonus season- 6 in all. Had a weird experience with this last doe. When I field dressed her I saw something weird, like two clear crystal balls with something dark in them. Took a closer look and saw a developed fawn about the size of a silver dollar.

Anyway, here is a pic of all my deer this year plus three that some brothers from church gave me...

001-3_zpse1c7bdf3.jpg

:D:D:D With the exception of the veggies on the right and about 5 bags of bass on the third shelf and a pac of hotdog buns, that's all deer:rockwoot:

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    I USEDLY TAKE HEAD SHOTS ON DOES OR SMALL BUCKS NO TRACKING IN THEIR TRACKS. IF I HAVE TAKE A BODY SHOT IN THE LUNG ABOUT 50 YRDS USELDY OR SPINE SHOTS DROP IN THEIR TRACKS.A FEW YEAR AGO MY FREIND SHOT ON IN THE GUT WE HAD TO TRACK ON OVER 400 YRDS BEFORE WE FOUND THE DOE. I HAVE TAKEN DEER AS CLOSE THAN 10 YRDS TO AS FAR AWAY AS 126 YDS WITH A MUZZEL LOADER. TOOK A 60 YRD HEAD SHOT LAST YEAR ON A DOE.

yeah, that's terrible advice.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Got back Thursday night from my VA hunting trip. Ended up hunting a total of 3 days. First morning I passed on 2 does early hoping something else would come along. Hind sight being 20/20 I wish I would have taken one of them. The rest of the first day was a complete bust with a quiet evening hunt.

The second day started with a cold rainy morning, and we ended up hunting from the truck set up looking down the power lines. Around noon it cleared up but remained windy the rest of the day. That evening in the stand I watched 9 turkeys enter the creek bed I was hunting then take roost about 6 trees away.

On to day three, with still no luck; I was busted by at least 2 deer on my walk in to the stand, stomping, snorting, blowing. Got set up and saw nothing but squirrels the rest of the morning. On to the evening hunt, got in stand about 13:45 set up on the corner of a cutover looking down one path and up another. Had walked and scouted the path and edge of the cutover the day before and it seemed to be used as a deer highway. So with it being the last day I choose to pop a squat along the edge hoping to catch one cross. Had my .270win and my longest shot available was about 175yds at the top of the hill on the path to my left. Sure enough about 15:50 a doe pops out at the top of the hill, and starts making her way right towards me walking down the center of the path. With my rifle in the ready position I watched her walk towards me getting closer and closer. I was planning on letting her get as close as I felt comfortable without her spooking. At around 50yds I decided she was close enough, cross hairs buried on her neck, gentle squeeze, and she dropped. The 150grn, .270win didn't even give her a fighting chance. Once, I got up to her I realized that she was actually a He, it ended up being a little button buck. Weighed about 120, with nubs barely poking threw. Oh well, at least I didn't get skunked. I didn't have my phone since there is no cell service where we hunt, so the only pictures I got were after pictures... Deer Tenderloin!!!:rockwoot:
    meatier_zpsb21148ae.jpg

meaty_zps9d457ce8.jpg

meat_zps346b390c.jpg

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County

Horrible advice poorly written!:twocents:

Top Bottom