• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .458socomhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Tipp Co
    I took 2 on opening morning of urban. Weather was right. Went out Monday, nothing. I'm going to go out here shortly. A little warmer than I would like. I'll post pics later.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We've been set up at camp since Sunday afternoon and I couldn't be more disappointed. The beans have been cut but every stalk of corn is still standing. Hunted yesterday morning and was dripping sweat by the time we got to the stand. Had three small bucks come in but nothing after. Hunted a ground blind over a food plot yesterday afternoon and saw four raccoons. Skipped the sauna this morning and hunted an active travel corridor this afternoon and again a sweaty mess by the time we got to the stand. Saw three deer walking through the corn to hit the creek just past shooting light.

I know it's all part of the game but I've literally been waiting for an opportunity to hunt like this since I was ten years old, I just turned 41. The weather is crap, the corn is still standing and the deer aren't doing anything. I've spent a ton of time, effort and money preparing for this and it's been nothing like I'd hoped. I've burned a weeks vacation to see practically nothing (and we have no less than 14 bucks on the trail cameras at this farm).

Sorry for the pity party. Hopefully it'll be better when I'm back the 29th.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Well, I saw nothing but squirrels all day. I heard some turkeys a way off. I have plans to go back out tomorrow morning but am not sure now.
    At least I did not pick up any ticks

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    And that is why you don't burn vac until after Oct 15.

Read forums, buy new stuff.............it's easy to get too hyped and burn out early, for minimal action.

So true. I always try to pull a week late October through the rut. This year I have the last week of bow into firearms season. Still gonna burn evenings and weekends when possible though. Oct 1 I got out late but the wind was favorable and the evening was not too hot. I didn't see anything on four legs but it was a beautiful evening to be outside.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    And that is why you don't burn vac until after Oct 15.

Read forums, buy new stuff.............it's easy to get too hyped and burn out early, for minimal action.

I didn't buy a bunch of fancy stuff. A good portion of the money was spent in fuel coming out here every two weeks since late June hanging stands, trimming lanes, putting down corn, checking cameras, etc.. I had nothing as far as equipment so the initial investment was pretty big. I can't help but be hyped up, like I said I've been wanting to do this for 30 years and never had the opportunity, just wish the weather would be more cooperative. I'm nowhere near burned out. I've hunted bad guys for 15 years, I've got the patience to wait. Long periods of boredom interrupted by brief spurts of adrenaline is nothing new. If I fail to put a buck on the ground it won't be for lack of commitment, you can bet on that.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Button Buck from yesterday.

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv8375%3Dot%3E3639%3D%3A7%3C%3D346%3DXROQDF%3E25%3A%3C6794%3B3255ot1lsi

This thread needed a picture.

vwarren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    greenfield
    Most years I don't kill a buck till November but last year I think it was like 10/27 that I shot the one on my avatar

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Had better weather this evening and a nice sit on the stand. Saw a couple does but they didn't come close. Hoping for a similar evening tomorrow.

elemonator

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Peru, IN
    When did you stop getting a license and a separate tag you punch out in the field? I got archery license today and its just a piece of paper like a fishing license....

Top Bottom