• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Went out to do some squirrel hunting / scouting for deer season with my dad yesterday. Found several bedding areas, and several really well established game trails near my stand. The corn is going to be late this year given they got it in late, so expect a good stand of corn (i.e. food and cover) well into October. We even had a small 6 point come and investigate us. He literally snuck up behind us within about 10 yds, and then spooked when we saw him. Won't be a shooter this year, but nice to see some young buck activity.

Only bummer was that we had to run off a couple trespassers off our family property as we were leaving. We saw their trucked parked at the end of the lane and got out to check and record the license plates. Two kids (I say that...probably 17-20 year olds) jumped up from along a ditch and were pretty skittish. We asked what they were doing and they said they were digging some worms to go fishing. To their credit, they both had small shovels and some coffee can's with dirt and worms in them that they were happy to show us. They said their dad new the guy that owned the land and it was ok for them to be there. They didn't tell us who their dad was, and also couldn't seem to come up with the name of who owned the land. We reminded them politely it was private property, asked them to leave, and wished them luck in their fishing trip.

We've had some problems lately with folks coming onto the property without permission, and had a stand stolen out of one of the woods we collectively hunt. Last year I watched at least 1/2 dozen trucks pull down the lane on opening morning, stop by my truck...look around, and then drive out. Hopefully our cordialness will be reciprocated and the two guys won't be a problem in the future.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    anybody gotten one yet?

I'm really hoping they resolve the Eagle Creek situation soon. I saw 2 deer in there on Saturday and they were literally starving. I could count ribs from about 20 yards away.

That is a herd that is in serious need of culling.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    gear is packed, we'll be posting live from the field tomorrow.

This thread ran for a long time last season, let's get this years rolling!

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    Good luck, hope y'all get a chance at something! I'm only gonna get to deer hunt on vacation in Virginia this year, didn't see anything all week last time I was out there.

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    I just saw an article that said we are having sharp shooters come in at night soon at eagle creek to thin the herd, and it said they were going to let wounded veterans hunt during the day. I think it said for just a two day period and I think the price for sharp shooters is around $60,000. Also said they will be using suppressers and infared scopes

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Beautiful start to the 2014 youth season:

20140927_082503.jpg

Didn't see a deer by 10:00am... said we'd give it until 10:30 and then pack it up to come back out this evening when we were seeing more on cameras.

And at 10:05.... he dropped her in her tracks at the edge of the field

20140927_101148.jpg

and.... the hero shot:

20140927_102208.jpg

you mess it up... you clean it up

20140927_133026.jpg

Last edited:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    He's already talking smack...

First, he used my old 20g that I gave him a few years ago. I never killed a deer with it.

Now he's letting me know that he's up, 1-0....

Wednesday can't get here fast enough.

I did remind him that I could have filmed the deer walking by while he sat there dozing... :cool:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Beautiful start to the 2014 youth season:

20140927_082503.jpg

Didn't see a deer by 10:00am... said we'd give it until 10:30 and then pack it up to come back out this evening when we were seeing more on cameras.

And at 10:05.... he dropped her in her tracks at the edge of the field

20140927_101148.jpg

and.... the hero shot:

20140927_102208.jpg

you mess it up... you clean it up

20140927_133026.jpg
    Congrats JM!

Indyscouter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Got up early Saturday morning and had my son in the blind way before light - packed a cooler and waited. Almost 14 hours later he harvested this big doe. He had seen her twice during the morning and she never presented a clean shot. I was proud that, one - he was patient and waited for the right opportunity and two that he enjoyed the entire day and can't wait to get back out. Even sighting in the muzzle-loader earlier in the month he treated with more determination - I think a lifetime of hunting has commenced. Good luck to the rest of the Youth Hunters!
    9_27_Deer.jpg

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Hickman and Indyscouter, great stories. Thanks. Makes me even more excited for the years to come when I can get my son and daughter out for deer hunting.

Top Bottom