• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • awalters0815

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    rabit season starts saturday so they'll be more hunters and dogs to help create some movement. although maybe not in a good way.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I am out of the woods until next weekend. Heading to Fort Benning on Tuesday for my sons Basic Training graduation. Good luck to all, I'll be 20ft up Saturday morning.

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    Put my first ever whitetail on the ground yesterday.

I was a bit late getting to the hunting grounds, and was walking in as the sun was creeping up. Thinking I was gonna be wasting my time, I still cocked the crossbow and set a bolt, and stalked real quiet like into the woods.

I was about 20 yards from my tree stand when two deer spooked and took off. They'd been eating the acorns from the oak that was where I'd set my stand. Had I been out earlier, I'd have been sitting in that stand with a 15 yard shot. Instead, I spooked two of 'em.

I stood there, quietly cursing myself, and thought "This day is a bust..."

Then one of them was foolish enough to turn back and stood about 25 yards from me. I sent a bolt from a standing position, it went straight through the lungs, out the other side, and that deer dropped about 20 yards away.

A small button buck, perhaps 120-130 pounds on the hoof.

I'm pretty stoked about it. :D

Deer_zps7043a277.jpg

Last edited:

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    What a fun weekend of hunting with my daughters. Deer are finally starting to move. Nothing big, but moving finally none the less after almost two weeks of not seeing a single deer.

Saturday evening, Sydney (13) and I were setting in a blind on a field edge. We had a young doe come up behind us and almost stick her head in the blind window. Sydney got turned around and set up quickly. By then the doe had moved out to 25 yards. Syd dropped her where she stood with her crossbow.

Sunday morning, Trevor Marie (15) and I were in a double stand set up back in the timber. We watched a forkie dog some does for a while before being chased out of the field by another young buck. The forkie came right to us. I let T call her own shot and she put a text book perfect shot on the buck at 15 yards. He fell on his face 20 yards later. Nothing huge, but she was very happy with her shot placement. This was her first buck with a bow (second bow kill overall).

All in all ... a pretty darn good weekend spent with my girls.:D

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    DEC, congrats, your daughters did well! They should both be proud as you should as well. Hopefully you are as good as they are. For that matter, hopefully more of us are as well.

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Congrats Reno and Dec!

I managed to get my first bow kill this past Saturday. He's not exactly a bruiser, but I'm more than thrilled. The shot was 30 yds and I was standing on the ground. I was on a pretty big trail and there were 2 bucks headed straight toward me. I don't know how and the hell they didn't see me drawing back but I gave them a quick bleat and let one fly. I was using and older PSE Lightning Flight with Easton Game Getter 340's and Muzzy 125's. They're slow and heavy, but man it drove in deep. Popped a lung, went through the heart and stopped in the liver.

20141025_092058_zps79fea666.jpg

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    What a fun weekend of hunting with my daughters. Deer are finally starting to move. Nothing big, but moving finally none the less after almost two weeks of not seeing a single deer.

Saturday evening, Sydney (13) and I were setting in a blind on a field edge. We had a young doe come up behind us and almost stick her head in the blind window. Sydney got turned around and set up quickly. By then the doe had moved out to 25 yards. Syd dropped her where she stood with her crossbow.

Sunday morning, Trevor Marie (15) and I were in a double stand set up back in the timber. We watched a forkie dog some does for a while before being chased out of the field by another young buck. The forkie came right to us. I let T call her own shot and she put a text book perfect shot on the buck at 15 yards. He fell on his face 20 yards later. Nothing huge, but she was very happy with her shot placement. This was her first buck with a bow (second bow kill overall).

All in all ... a pretty darn good weekend spent with my girls.:D

Thats what its all about.... Congrats to you all.... Thats what I call a great dad and some happy girls !! Rep heading your way.. +1

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    This guy walked in on us at 8:19 this morning. I was behind the camera so my partner was hunting and put a Slick Trick through both lungs. He made it about 60 yards and piled up. The rut is getting closer but not quite here. Plenty of rubs but we haven't spotted many scrapes yet.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    This guy walked in on us at 8:19 this morning. I was behind the camera so my partner was hunting and put a Slick Trick through both lungs. He made it about 60 yards and piled up. The rut is getting closer but not quite here. Plenty of rubs but we haven't spotted many scrapes yet.

My buddys and I use to film each other... I mean way back when the cameras took VSH tapes .... We did it for about 10 yrs and we made a DVD about 3yrs ago with back ground music and everything and it turned out cool I thought, looked as good as what you see on TV just without all the talking about BS..... Keep up the good work... We don't film each other anymore but it was fun for awhile...

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    It seems pretty popular these days, lots of folks are filing their hunts. We started doing it at the request of a friend in Kentucky who was trying to put together a TV show but that has kind of fallen apart. We still do it because we have more fun when hunting as a team and it certainly makes it more challenging.

Jason R. Bruce

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Well my hours in the stand versus deer killed meter is going to be a record setter. I punched my buck tag yesterday morning, sat another hour, and got down with 6 deer killed in 15 hours of combined hunting. 55 deer spotted, only antlered deer were the 3 bucks from yesterday when I switched gears away from filling the freezers.

I rattled & grunted a few series in the first couple hours of daylight, didn't see anything until a doe came trotting by at 150 yards around 9am. One more crash of the rattling antlers, waited five minutes, and let out a snort-wheeze. Immediately caught movement to my right and just about couldn't get up and ready before two bucks were under me. I had to mouth-bleat a few times to get a shot window and punched his lungs @ 21 yards. He ran off 75 yards. Two other bucks made scrapes and shoved his body around for an hour... one was taller but no better scoring. He's a 17" wide 8pt with long beams and blisters where his G4's should've been. Weighed 180#.

After looking at the weather coming in and the moon phase for next weekend, I climbed the tree yesterday with intentions of shooting the first respectable buck I could. I've passed 20 larger bucks in recent years but it's nice to have the buck tag out of the way so coyote hunting can take a clearer focus. By the time I got this buck skinned I'd ironed out a 350 mile loop of coyote hunts for the 3 vacation days I'd scheduled for bow hunting.

Between Wednesday evening & Thursday afternoon, I saw 13 bucks chasing or cruising aimlessly from the road. I had a decent buck chasing does in the back yard and a basket rack making a scrape behind my mailbox Tuesday evening. I don't know if it's going to trickle on for a while or fizzle out, but the last few days are exactly the phase I look for when targeting bucks. I have a feeling next weekend's moon phase will put a halt to a lot of this activity, so the next 3 days will make or break a lot of mature bucks lifespan.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana

Cool video! Looks like you are way the heck up in that tree though, or is that just the perspective? Good sound as well...very nice hollow "thumk" sound when the arrow makes contact.

Top Bottom