• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • randy68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I shot this guy about 8:30 on public ground this morning. Dropped him in his tracks with one shot from my CVA Scout in .35 Rem 1.8" , 200 gr corelok over LVR powder.
    10 pts, 19" outside spread.
    My biggest deer in 30 years.
    It was a ***** getting him out, crossing two deep creeks.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Oddly enough, I saw a post of a buddy of mine in Tennessee having problems with his muzzle-loaders trigger not functioning correctly, presumably because powder/solvent froze around the hammer.

I broke mine open, cocked it back... it was like a slow-motion hammer... creeping forward and sticking.

Glad I didn't have a shooter in front of me this morning. Time for some hot water....

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Thanks guys! Not a whole lot to tell as far as the story goes. I got out to the woods about half an hour later than I wanted. Around 7:45 I decided I picked a bad spot to sit (I ground hunt). I decided to move about 10 yards and sit up against a tree and face south. 5 minutes after I sat down, I saw a set of antlers poke out from behind the brush. He continued to walk out. Thought I was going to have a heart attack from my heart pounding so hard. He walked into a clearing, quartered towards me. I took the shot. He ran about 30 yards and did a somersault over a downed log. I guess it was loud enough for my father in law to hear from about 100 yards north of me.
    I can't speak highly enough about the 458. It liquified both lungs and the heart was in several pieces. The bullet entered in right next to the front right leg, dislocated his shoulder, traveled through his rib cage, and exited the back left of his ribs.

178.5lbs dressed, 19" inside spread

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    Great bucks randy and midget, and congrats to all others who have scored. I took a doe this morning. I was beginning to think we were gonna starve this winter, since my bow season has been so slow.:D

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Ok I was going through the pictures and had to laugh at this one. It sure looked like he was laughing
    IMG_1135.JPG

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    Beautiful deer guys! Son and I dragged out a nice 6 point that went 185lb field dressed. Shot him at 10 am. When I first saw him, my heart nearly stopped. He looked like a 20 point deer! When I got him in the scope, he had antlers full of cornstalks that, from a distance, looked like antlers!

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Couple dandy bucks guys and a big ol' nannie doe too.... Congrats to you all.... Nothing but a dink and a doe here..... But nice to see what a couple good ones look like...

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Congrats on those deer. Nice!

Our neighborhood was eerily quiet today. We don't live in a heavily wooded-area, not loads of deer, but there are strips of wood along farmland. So opening morning you typically hear the first shot within a few minutes of legal hunting hours, and several more within 90 minutes. Not 1 shot all morning. Heard 2 consecutive shots from (I'm guessing) 1 mile or 2 away about sunset tonight.

It was so odd not to hear a shot this morning that I started questioning whether or not I was out on the right day. Then I remembered the threads on INGO and figured we couldn't all be wrong.

Hopefully we'll see something tomorrow.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    My stand about fell off the tree this AM. I was sitting at a 30 degree angle LtoR and ****ting my britches. Hopped out about 9a and fixed it. Went back out tonight, heard shots in each thicket around me, but I didn't see anything. As I was leaving, I noticed a very nice scrape about 30 yds from my stand along the edge of the woods. I have ONE stand in this woods. Should I hunker down and ground hunt this spot a while or no? I haven't been able to get a trail cam, BUT I have a feeling this is the same guy leaving rubs around late season last year.

woods_zpsd81b32b8.jpg

This is a pic of my little hunting grounds.

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    Double T... I would play the wind and decide if I would be better on the ground or in a tree. Any funnels or pinch points in the woods? If so, I would try to set up in a travel corridor. Good luck!

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Went back to the stand about 1:30. The sun was warm and i enjoyed a nice afternoon. Lots of birds in the woods and lots of noise. I even go pooped on! About 3:15 a big spike walked by and stopped in a shooting lane. Since i had already passed on a doe, I decided to pass on him too. He eventually waked right up to my tree, and started staring at me. I sat perfectly still and we stared at each other for a few minutes. He was trying to get my scent, but never seemed to. Eventually he moved on and I watched him walk away.

30 min later he comes back by in a dead run. Clearly he was spooked by something, so I got ready, hoping it was the local dominant buck. Unfortunately it wasn't a buck, but two hunters walking through the woods, on private property no less. I saw them at about 150 yds and clearly flashed my orange hat. They stopped and then walked back out. Didnt see anything the rest of the day until 6pm, right as the last light was fading. Another doe was foraging in the cut corn field about 300 out.

So...gonna try again tomorrow. Good luck all!

Steeler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Clark county
    deer 2014.jpg

Shot this 7 point at 7:30 this morning with my muzzleloader after passing on a little spike about 15 minutes earlier.
    He sure doesnt compare to the other bucks in this thread but who cares!!

awalters0815

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Shot this 7 point at 7:30 this morning with my muzzleloader after passing on a little spike about 15 minutes earlier.
    He sure doesnt compare to the other bucks in this thread but who cares!!

Looks like a great buck to me. Good job! Goo eatin too!

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    Story? Oh yes...set up on a fence row 100 yds off the south side of the woods. Was in the east fence line facing north. Combine shelling corn in the field east of me..We were chiseling in the same field I was in at the sane time. The does came out in hoards at about 5:15. A coyote chased them back into the woods. Unsure what would unfold I sat tight. At 5:30 I was seeing deer coming back into the field. At 5:40 I took her down with my cowboy 1894 in .357. She was double lunged and dropped in her tracks. Great hunt this evening!

Top Bottom