• ...and so much more!
  • cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Canada was not founded as a nation of immigrants, but as a corporate concern employing subjects imported to work for the Crown. The HBC wanted docile, not rebellious, workers. This is less the case with Western Canada, which saw immigration from the US in the late-19th century.

As far as Canadian relations with Native Americans, Chinese, Metis, etc., little difference from the US. They may have welcomed Sitting Bull, but the Natives still ended up on reserves.

But by and large a nation of subjects, from the start.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Are there any special interest groups on this planet who aren't provided a platform from which to demand that police officers receive extensive training to recognize and deal with their particular flavor of disadvantaged persons? It's quite the conundrum in this country. This is the United States of America where everyone is supposed to be treated equally unless they.....

-Have been adjudicated mentally unstable
    -Been the victim of violent crime
    -Been the victim of domestic violence
    -Were born in a foreign country
    -Live below the poverty level
    -Are experiencing a medical condition (pick one of the 45,000 out there)
    -Dropped out of school
    -Are homosexual
    -Are transgendered
    -Hate dogs
    -Wear a turbin
    -Don't like chocolate
    -Are illiterate
    -Are scared of dogs
    -Love cats
    -Drive a Chevrolet
    -Don't get out of bed before noon
    -Used to smoke Marlboros
    -Still smoke Marlboros
    -Live in a trailer park
    -Live in an apartment complex
    -Have a job
    -Are unemployed
    -Weren't hugged enough by Mom
    -Weren't hugged enough by Dad
    -Married their cousin
    -Wear prescription eyeglasses
    -Once watched a scary movie
    -Didn't like a single field trip they went on in school, ever
    -Are a hoarder
    -Grow their own food
    -Watch CSI
    -Have been to prison
    -Have blonde hair

And on...and on...and on...and on...and on...and on.........

I propose that police officers are only hired between the ages of 30 and 40 years old, have an IQ of at least 120, spend 8 years in training to become qualified as lawyers, doctors, psychologists and family councilors, make $250,000.00 a year tax free, earn a 75% pension and are forced into retirement after 10 years of service (including training). It still won't be enough but they'd certainly be closer to the all knowing, perfect robots many people expect.

Not sure why I find it surprising I guess. The vast majority of this country now expects 300% more effort out of everyone else than they attempt to put out themselves.

Just rambling.....
    Great idea, except the pay should be $25,000 a year and with no pension. :):

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Are there any special interest groups on this planet who aren't provided a platform from which to demand that police officers receive extensive training to recognize and deal with their particular flavor of disadvantaged persons? It's quite the conundrum in this country. This is the United States of America where everyone is supposed to be treated equally unless they.....

-Have been adjudicated mentally unstable
    -Been the victim of violent crime
    -Been the victim of domestic violence
    -Were born in a foreign country
    -Live below the poverty level
    -Are experiencing a medical condition (pick one of the 45,000 out there)
    -Dropped out of school
    -Are homosexual
    -Are transgendered
    -Hate dogs
    -Wear a turbin
    -Don't like chocolate
    -Are illiterate
    -Are scared of dogs
    -Love cats
    -Drive a Chevrolet
    -Don't get out of bed before noon
    -Used to smoke Marlboros
    -Still smoke Marlboros
    -Live in a trailer park
    -Live in an apartment complex
    -Have a job
    -Are unemployed
    -Weren't hugged enough by Mom
    -Weren't hugged enough by Dad
    -Married their cousin
    -Wear prescription eyeglasses
    -Once watched a scary movie
    -Didn't like a single field trip they went on in school, ever
    -Are a hoarder
    -Grow their own food
    -Watch CSI
    -Have been to prison
    -Have blonde hair

And on...and on...and on...and on...and on...and on.........

I propose that police officers are only hired between the ages of 30 and 40 years old, have an IQ of at least 120, spend 8 years in training to become qualified as lawyers, doctors, psychologists and family councilors, make $250,000.00 a year tax free, earn a 75% pension and are forced into retirement after 10 years of service (including training). It still won't be enough but they'd certainly be closer to the all knowing, perfect robots many people expect.

Not sure why I find it surprising I guess. The vast majority of this country now expects 300% more effort out of everyone else than they attempt to put out themselves.

Just rambling.....

So what alternative do you see?

Personal responsibility?

:rofl:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany

Just rambling.....
    Officers should also be fluent in all modern languages, as well as, sign language.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Somebody killed America Light? Or, is it Lite, from America?

There is no proper word in English to describe an objects lack of weight...

* 'LIGHT' refers to the visible portion of the Electro-Magnetic radiation spectrum = The stuff that goes into your eyes, for your brain to make pictures.
    * 'LITE' is a marketing buzz word made up by Miller Beer in the early 1900's to describe their reduced calorie beverages (now widely copied / reapplied to other products).

Both have been widely misused for so long that nobody cares to make the distinction, or to use them properly.

Long story short, I think "America 'LITE' " would be the most correct of the two improper choices at your disposal Sir.

Top Bottom