• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Are you saying that everytime I want to buy something online, I need to run down to the Speedway and buy a few gift cards to total the amount I need?

No, just get one or two and hang onto them. When you need them, you'll already have them.
    And personally, I don't use them...I buy them as gifts.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    How the hell do you guys use those.

I mean, a lot of the stuff I buy online are sort of spur of the moment type purchases. For example, I remembered I needed to order bullets yesterday afternoon while I was surfing the web, it took me all of 3 minutes to hit my saved link, log into my account with the vendor and buy what I needed.

Are you saying that everytime I want to buy something online, I need to run down to the Speedway and buy a few gift cards to total the amount I need?
    Either that or keep a $50 card on hand just for impulse buys. That's why a regular credit card is handy. You've always got it available. Add in the problem that many, (if not most) prepaid cards charge you usage fees and can eat away at your balance over time.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    The problem isn't where or how you use your debit or credit card. The problem is that you're using it! Every so often they report on the news about security breeches at the various credit clearing houses. My debit card got hit last week, I can't tell you I've never used it online but I can't remember when if I did. The obtain literally millions of credit card numbers almost instantaneously with relatively little effort on their part. Typically they will make a small purchase at one location to confirm that it's a valid number and then go to a different locaiton to start racking up the charges. If you've ever used your debit or credit car for ANYTHING you are at risk for this type of fraud. The only way to prevent it is to go cash only and it may not be possible in todays society. The only thing you can do is remain vigilant and at the first indication of an anomoly have the account number changed.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Haven't had this problem on my debit card.

I've also gone 6 years without a detectable virus on my computer too.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    My question is this, how can a guy that has no need for a CC, nor wants one, make purchases online safely?

Paypal with added security key.

Paypal has a security key you can get from them for $29. The way it works is once you log into your account you will then be asked for the security code. This is a six digit number generated by your security key, press a button on your key and then enter the number displayed. I cant remember the exact interval of the code change but it changes something like every 15 seconds. This prevents someone from cracking your code.

The security key as of 2011 is in the shape of a credit card. If you are old school (like me) you might still have a key fob. Its about the size of a USB drive and in an oval shape. It costs $5. So if you are cheap like me you can ask them if they still have the fob available for $5 instead of the credit card sized key card.

This is an excellent layer of security to add to your PayPal account.

I wish Debit cards had this layer of security.

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I also have a credit card with Shop Safe functionality. When I want to buy something, i log into my banks website and generate a one-time use credit card number with a spending limit a little more than the purchase price and an expiration date 2 months in the future. Even if someone hijacks the number, it can't be used again, it can only be used up to the chosen limit and it will expire in 2 months.

Got a credit card stolen once. Never again. A little extra time to generate the number, but nothing like trying to clean up an identity theft.

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Paypal has a security key you can get from them for $29. The way it works is once you log into your account you will then be asked for the security code. This is a six digit number generated by your security key, press a button on your key and then enter the number displayed. I cant remember the exact interval of the code change but it changes something like every 15 seconds. This prevents someone from cracking your code.

The security key as of 2011 is in the shape of a credit card. If you are old school (like me) you might still have a key fob. Its about the size of a USB drive and in an oval shape. It costs $5. So if you are cheap like me you can ask them if they still have the fob available for $5 instead of the credit card sized key card.

Unless things have changed, purchasing things with paypal and a linked credit card did not provide all of the legal protections that purchasing with a credit card alone provided. I.e. fraud protection, warranty extension, $50 limit on stolen cards, etc. Just sayin...

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I am anti-paypal, due to their non-pro-2a stance. But appreciate the info, non-the-less.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I need to research this option some more, thanks.

I also have a credit card with Shop Safe functionality. When I want to buy something, i log into my banks website and generate a one-time use credit card number with a spending limit a little more than the purchase price and an expiration date 2 months in the future. Even if someone hijacks the number, it can't be used again, it can only be used up to the chosen limit and it will expire in 2 months.

Got a credit card stolen once. Never again. A little extra time to generate the number, but nothing like trying to clean up an identity theft.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    bigcraig,

Sometimes they do get caught.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ense/210657-exciting_end_of_the_work_day.html

I do expect though, that if I called you to tell you how the ID thieves crashed their car trying to run from the cops, you would not say, "Oh, I hope they didn't get hurt."

Yep, ID stolen, CC used illegally, and the victim is worried the thieves might have gotten hurt in the midst of their actions.

Hope they catch yours.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have been jacked more than 3 times in the last five years. The thieves never got anything or did I loose anything because I always have followed this exact policy:
    Get a separate account with a debit card that you only use for online purchases. Then only transfer just enough funds into this account to cover the purchase you are about to make. Then if your info gets stolen, they can try to run your card, but won't get anything, because there is no money in there. You also won't have to redo your regular account if the information gets stolen.
    Not like it's not a bit of a hassle to get things straightened out, but it always has. My "online card" never leaves the house. I pay all my monthly bills online with it too, along with auto withdraws for health insurance and such.

BTW - I've had 5/3rd shut down this account twice to issue new cards when they detected a blacklisted purchase before I did.

Last edited:

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I buy very little online but when I do,I use this feature called a phone.I look for the sites "contact us" telephone number and call to talk to a live human being. Seems to work most of the time.

trillobite

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Muncie
    Myself, I set up a separate account with my credit union, with a debit card. I use the account for Paypal backup, and the debit card for online purchases when Paypal isn't used. I only did it, because I started selling on eBay, and my wife was having fits whenever a unannounced withdraw happened from our account.:dunno:
    FYI, reloading stuff sells quick on eBay. :D

Top Bottom