• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Came home from work this AM and my wife met me at the door in tears...

Appearently sometime between 3am (baby's last feeding) and 7am the sump pump took a dump and the battery back up couldn't keep up with our record rainfall yesterday. :xmad:

No real loss, some family photos, I've been meaning to digitize for about 7yrs, some of my boxing equipment, some hand tools, and my Alpine Bow :noway:

Time to by a water alarm.

Folks if you have a basement this can't be preached enough, keep the pumps squared away.

This guy kinda reminds me of the sham wow tool, but a good product.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o9o-7673hA

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    RNM, I'm sorry to hear about that. Let me know if you need any help cleaning things up. I'm available tomorrow and can come out for a few hours.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Had this happen during the last big rain...mine was 5".

What was really strange is we had several plugged in powerstrips laying on the ground that still had live power running...nothing shorted out.

My sump pump floater stuck down, rendering it useless during the night of rain. I had my two cats crying on the steps, wanting to come up stairs.

I was told that the water must not have had many impurities in it or breakers would have popped off.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Ouch. That sucks. The basement at my parent's old place flooded every year. Dead pumps, blocked pipes, power outages, etc.... Always something!

We kept a main pump running with a battery-backup pump above it. Then, a second "cold standby" pump on the floor next to it, ready to go into the hole. Changing a pump is 2' of cold water (down in a 2' deep hole) is loads of fun!

We came darn close yesterday. The street flooded 1/2 way up our (slightly sloped) front yard, and the crawlspace sump pump was running every few minutes.

If it is a finished basement, make sure it gets 100% dry! Once the mold starts, it is nearly impossible to get rid of.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    RNM, I'm sorry to hear about that. Let me know if you need any help cleaning things up. I'm available tomorrow and can come out for a few hours.

Thanks Que, your good people! :yesway: I have a separate submersible pump that I tied into the sump discharge and was able to pump out all the water in about an hour. The basement is my daughters playroom and almost everything in there is elevated or hard plastic, so a box knife, tarp, and a dab a bleach should do it. Brother in law stopping by in a bit to help. I'll humbly pass on the offer and won't take a rain check :rolleyes:

Had this happen during the last big rain...mine was 5".

What was really strange is we had several plugged in powerstrips laying on the ground that still had live power running...nothing shorted out.

That is exactly what happened to me!!!

My sump pump floater stuck down, rendering it useless during the night of rain.

That is exactly what happened to me!!!

:ingo:

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Thanks Que, your good people! :yesway: I have a separate submersible pump that I tied into the sump discharge and was able to pump out all the water in about an hour. The basement is my daughters playroom and almost everything in there is elevated or hard plastic, so a box knife, tarp, and a dab a bleach should do it. Brother in law stopping by in a bit to help. I'll humbly pass on the offer and won't take a rain check :rolleyes:

:ingo:

I was told to get my GFCI protected outlet wiring checked.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    This happened to my mom a few years ago. Crack in the line in her subpump meant that all the water was getting ejected into the basement too. I had happened to be visiting her at the time and walked into a basement with a foot and a half of water in it. Good luck getting it cleaned up, in her case it had gotten into the insulation and the entire basement had to be gutted...

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    You weren't kidding about record rainfall. My street flooded up and so did the entrance to the other subdivision on the other side. Nothing like having to drive thru 8" + of mud water and corn stalks to get my nephew from school yesterday. Then on my way to walmart the intersection at apple and blue there was more mud and corn stalk water in the road. Needless to say I'm sick of the rain already.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I don't know how much rain we got near Lafayette but our power was out for about 8-9 hours. I'm thinking my 1100' of field tile tied into my sump pump system was a really good investment. I checked my basement just now and it's dry.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    A bad sump pump coupled with a lack of a check valve resulted in four inches of standing water in my finished basement and ended up changing my life completely. I am not exaggerating.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I don't know how much rain we got near Lafayette but our power was out for about 8-9 hours. I'm thinking my 1100' of field tile tied into my sump pump system was a really good investment. I checked my basement just now and it's dry.

Smart, it would take a lot of water to fill that much 4" pipe. You just ran it back and forth in the yard?

My back up pump alarms when it kicks in, but I also have a water bug as an extra alarm. My pump never runs anymore since I fixed the break on the exit just outside my foundation.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    A bad sump pump coupled with a lack of a check valve resulted in four inches of standing water in my finished basement and ended up changing my life completely. I am not exaggerating.

You going to leave us hanging like that? Details, please.

@RNM; If you have carpet in the basement, after it is dried make sure you have it cleaned and treated with microbiotics. This will keep any molds and other micros from growing in your carpet.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You going to leave us hanging like that? Details, please.

Yes, I'm going to leave you hanging completely. :D My point was that just because it seems like bad news doesn't necessarily make it bad. You never know what'll come out of it.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Smart, it would take a lot of water to fill that much 4" pipe. You just ran it back and forth in the yard?

My back up pump alarms when it kicks in, but I also have a water bug as an extra alarm. My pump never runs anymore since I fixed the break on the exit just outside my foundation.

It runs into another field tile that dumps into a creek a half mile away. I had a check valve installed as well. I had 33" of water in my basement last year while it was being built. We had a horrendous monsoon but most of the water was due to the foundation not being backfilled yet.

Top Bottom