• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    IIRC, all of that 1100' of tile is 8" double wall except for about 5' that connects to my house. The sump pump and gutters tie into the tile as well.

wrigleycub

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    West side of Indy
    Had this happen during the last big rain...mine was 5".

What was really strange is we had several plugged in powerstrips laying on the ground that still had live power running...nothing shorted out.

My sump pump floater stuck down, rendering it useless during the night of rain. I had my two cats crying on the steps, wanting to come up stairs.

I was told that the water must not have had many impurities in it or breakers would have popped off.

Ive responded to this type of incident on more than one occasion. One time it was to an apartment building where all the meters were under water. The water was so hot that the steam made it look to many as if it were on fire.
    Note to all: Treat water in these situations as if it is a downed power line. Water and electricity are extremely dangerous. To the OP sorry to here about he inconvenience, hopefully it all turns out o.k.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    We have recoiler pits at work that fill up with water, trash and nasty muck. They've got 480v 3 phase power and up to 30 amp fuses. I've heard of them boiling the water and not blowing the fuses. Wouldn't stick my finger in them, that's for sure.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    If you have municipal water and decent water pressure you should look into a water powered backup pump. It doesn't need electricity (battery or outlet). I went with it rather than a battery backup in my previous home because I didn't like the fact that the battery backup only gave me a limited amount of time (battery life) before I had to go with a 3rd pump option.

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    That does suck but at least you only got 4", really sucks though that you had irreplaceables down there.

As a side note it could've been worse. We got 2.5 feet a few years ago during a lot of rain like this year, when a power pole snapped in half and all 3 of our sumps failed, didn't have power for 3 days and took 2 to pump all of the water out.

ranstuff022.jpg

ranstuff009.jpg

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN

When Martinsville had that huge flood a couple of years ago, my grandmother's place flooded like this. Water up to the top step of the basement stairs. She lost EVERYTHING down there. Well, everything but what was in the chest freezer! Like yours, hers floated. The contents were still dry and frozen 2 days later when we finally got it pumped down.

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    When Martinsville had that huge flood a couple of years ago, my grandmother's place flooded like this. Water up to the top step of the basement stairs. She lost EVERYTHING down there. Well, everything but what was in the chest freezer! Like yours, hers floated. The contents were still dry and frozen 2 days later when we finally got it pumped down.

I will say that amazingly enough this freezer even though it is is older than me (about 30+ years old) STILL works after all it's been through, they don't build them like the used to, same goes for the Coleman cooler.

Anyways on the your regularly scheduled thread sorry for jacking. :hijack:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom