• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lafayette Yeti

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    I'm heading to Ohio for New Years to my grandparents in the Toledo area. I know the LTCH isn't valid, but I hate to be completely unarmed. I'm currently thinking of two different guns to take with me. I know the magazines have to be unloaded, but can I keep ammo close to it while driving?

First one is a single action army clone. The cylinder will be obviously unloaded, but can I keep the gun in a holster, attached to a belt with the bullet loops filled?

Second option would be a 18 1/2" shotgun with a folding stock. Can I keep shells in the side saddle or no?

Getting a permit recognized by OH is really not an option for this trip

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    This is my opinion. Once you get to Ohio line you need to remove the gun unload and unload any mags and put them all as far from each other as possible!

Lafayette Yeti

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    This is my opinion. Once you get to Ohio line you need to remove the gun unload and unload any mags and put them all as far from each other as possible!

I understand the "unload the mag" part, which is why the AR and 1911 are staying home. I guess my question is, do the guns need to be separated from the ammo completely? I have a compact truck, so in the past I've put the cased guns behind the seat (extended cab) and the ammo in the truck box in the bed. Can I keep the ammo in the cab or no?

Lafayette Yeti

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Would he be allowed to carry in OH while on family (private) property ?

Doesn't matter, my grandparents aren't terribly thrilled that I have guns at all, so since it's their property, it'll just stay up in the room buried in my bag once I'm in the house.

zacdudek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2011
    Grabill IN
    I want to say you need to keep your gun and ammo separate, I also the law says they have to be inaccessible to the driver of the vehicle. I don't have the Ohio laws pulled up but I travel to Ohio quite a bit for work and that is how I have been informed from LEO friends in Ohio. I could be wrong, so don't take this a hard and solid truth.

Mustang380gal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Ohio's Amish Country
    The car is considered "concealed" so mags must be unloaded if you do not have a license. Once you are out of the car, you may open carry, as it is not illegal to do so in Ohio.

Ohioans For Concealed Carry Discussion Forums has guys who know the law inside and outside. They'll be able to help keep you legal.

Here's the pertinent section of the law:
    No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways

(1) In a closed package, box, or case;

(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;
    (3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;
    (4) If the firearm is at least twenty-four inches in overall length as measured from the muzzle to the part of the stock furthest from the muzzle and if the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length, either in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.

Note that it does not say "licensee" but "person". Unload it, including magazines, and put it into a suitcase or backpack. It can be in the passenger compartment.

Top Bottom