• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    Over in Ohio, for the hog I shot, I'd recommend no smaller than a 308, the hunt all together cost me $900 that's for everything, I got there noon on Friday left around noon on Sunday, lodging, food, meat processing and hunt was all included, just bring your own bedding like sleeping bag or sheets they have bunks and mattresses just no sheets. Starting rate is $650 if you get a hog under 300lbs and you don't process the meat. There aren't really any restrictions on caliber, but do not go small caliber like .233, 22-250, etc. there was a guy there a few weeks before me and used .223 and it took 7 shots to put the hog on the ground.

BBQ will be as soon as the meat get here on Monday.

Last edited:

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    What choices did they have for processing the meat? What did you choose? Let us know how the meat turns out.

With the one shot kill you should be ok if the boar is running a hot sow or has come fresh from a fight or you run him a long way with dogs or you shoot him and he runs a ways riled up you will have some stinky pork! The same can and usually does apply to riled up sows. It takes a lot of sage to cover up that flavor in sausage!

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    Their options were a bunch of sausages, hams, steaks, chops bone in or out. I don't remember everything off the top of my head.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Over in Ohio, for the hog I shot, I'd recommend no smaller than a 308, the hunt all together cost me $900 that's for everything, I got there noon on Friday left around noon on Sunday, lodging, food, meat processing and hunt was all included, just bring your own bedding like sleeping bag or sheets they have bunks and mattresses just no sheets. Starting rate is $650 if you get a hog under 300lbs and you don't process the meat. There aren't really any restrictions on caliber, but do not go small caliber like .233, 22-250, etc. there was a guy there a few weeks before me and used .223 and it took 7 shots to put the hog on the ground.

BBQ will be as soon as the meat get here on Monday.

that doesn't sound like to bad a deal with everything included. I can see this in my future! I am haven;t a medical procure next week that will lay me up for a couple weeks. When I get closer to being able to do this I'll get in touch with you!

Thanks for the info.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    The electric part of the fence is a single wire about a foot off the ground because if they didn't have it, the hogs would bust though the main fence. With it being private, you don't need an OH hunting license either. Also if you're wanting a monster buck like how you see on the outdoor channel, 95% of the time, it's a fenced hunt. But the hogs there are wild, easiest way to tell is to see if there are tags on the ears, if there are then that means they were put there, and I guarantee you, you won't see a tag on a hogs ear. That's why I said in an earlier post, I won't hunt deer there, only hog because that's all that's truly wild there and the closest place for me to hunt hog.

Last edited:

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    The electric part of the fence is a single wire about a foot off the ground because if they didn't have it, the hogs would bust though the main fence. With it being private, you don't need an OH hunting license either. Also if you're wanting a monster buck like how you see on the outdoor channel, 95% of the time, it's a fenced hunt. But the hogs there are wild, easiest way to tell is to see if there are tags on the ears, if there are then that means they were put there, and I guarantee you, you won't see a tag on a hogs ear. That's why I said in an earlier post, I won't hunt deer there, only hog because that's all that's truly wild there and the closest place for me to hunt hog.

I used to call on a customer in Zanesville, OH that Hog hunted. His dogs would catch them and they would take them alive. They probably sold them to places like you hunted at.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    Where I was all they had were Eurasian and Russian boar, still fun as S**t. If an animal was brought into where I was at, it'd have to have a tag on its ear for records for the state. But if it was born in there, then there's no tags on it and hasn't been handled by people.

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    Where I was all they had were Eurasian and Russian boar, still fun as S**t. If an animal was brought into where I was at, it'd have to have a tag on its ear for records for the state. But if it was born in there, then there's no tags on it and hasn't been handled by people.

So they built this place and put up a fence up around the hog you shot...He was already in there and grew the size he was all by himself....and then for years no one was able to kill this hog until the day you did!!! Really??? SMH....

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    No he didn't put the fence up, they bought it off the previous owners. the pigs are not pin raised, he was born there and yes he grew that size on his own in there. And obviously no one killed him until I did, it'd be kind of hard for me to kill a hog someone else had already killed. Lmfao

Last edited:

UncleNorby

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Near South Bend, IN
    I'm guessing they supplement the feed as well.

I shot one with a bow years ago in PA. It was a glorified pen, and the hogs were mostly feral critters trapped in Alabama. This place sounds like a better operation.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    Yea, anything other than the hogs there are pin raised. That's why I'd only hunt hog there. If I go after ferrel I'd go down to Alabama.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Thanks for the info!

Just for discussion, do you know what kind of load the guy with the .223 used? The reason I ask is because I've seen several accounts with lots of photos of wounds, etc. of people on AR15.com hunting hogs with their ARs using M193 and heavier OTM loads with good effect. Most of those were in Florida. Maybe the pigs are smaller there!

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    wow
    santa mierda - look that up on google translate

That is one huge hog, and, as others have said, very cool to have taken it with a Mosin

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    yea Rhino, the guy was actually using tracers. IDK why he would do that but he did. The feral hogs down south run smaller than Russian boars unless if the ferals have some razor back in them. The biggest feral thats been shot down where I go in Alabama was 280lbs before it was dressed where as where I went for russian boar mine was 304 after it was field dressed. And the biggest thing is with a small caliber, you have to hit right in the brain or brain stem meaning you have to hit a 1"-1.5" spot on a moving target, when if you use a bigger caliber like 308 or larger you can wipe out the lungs in 1 shot and have a 6"-8" spot to shoot.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    yea Rhino, the guy was actually using tracers. IDK why he would do that but he did. The feral hogs down south run smaller than Russian boars unless if the ferals have some razor back in them. The biggest feral thats been shot down where I go in Alabama was 280lbs before it was dressed where as where I went for russian boar mine was 304 after it was field dressed. And the biggest thing is with a small caliber, you have to hit right in the brain or brain stem meaning you have to hit a 1"-1.5" spot on a moving target, when if you use a bigger caliber like 308 or larger you can wipe out the lungs in 1 shot and have a 6"-8" spot to shoot.

Thanks! That makes good sense.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    The best part of hunting. Saving the bottom shelf for some deer.

8E4384BC-E768-4E0E-8B28-5509C1973701_zpsqagtgqtr.jpg

Top Bottom