• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I agree that it's very irresponsible for groups like the New Black Panthers to arm up and protest under the guise of "self defense", legal or not ... as though they expect to be attacked.

It's 100% instigation, challenging people to "do something" about them.

OC demonstration is one thing. Stating you're going to OC/be armed for a protest of a political convention is another.

An OC "demonstration" is by its very nature political. I'm afraid I don't see the difference between that and the Black Panthers walking around OC'ing anymore than a bunch of guys down at Union Station during the lunch rush. I would (hope) suspect that the law enforcement personnel will be so heavily armed that the shear number of LEO carried weapons would make an otherwise sane person think twice about starting something.

Of course here lately sanity is in short supply.

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    Hopefully anyone who decides to OC has some common sense. I see all hell breaking loose over some uneducated jackass playing with his gun instead of just leaving it holstered/slung. If they carry, hopefully they have some sense and training.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    “We are going to be looking very, very hard at anyone who has an open carry,” he said. “An AR-15, a shotgun, multiple handguns. It’s irresponsible of those folks — especially right now — to be coming downtown with open carry AR’s or anything else. I couldn’t care less if it’s legal or not. We are constitutional law enforcement, we love the Constitution, support it and defend it, but you can’t go into a crowded theater and scream fire. And that’s exactly what they’re doing by bringing those guns down there.”

I don't even know where to start.

I will start with "you can't go into a crowded theater and scream fire." That's kinda bull****, mostly. He left off the part that is always left off of that quote: "..and causing a panic". So, the idea is that if you yell "fire" and cause a panic and mayhem ensues, you can't use the 1st amendment as a defense. But the important thing, yelling "fire" in a crowded theater isn't the standard. The standard is speech that is likely to incite imminent lawless action. Merely open carrying isn't in itself likely to incite imminent lawless action.

It sounds like to me that they are admitting up front that they're going to harass open carriers. Maybe arrest, maybe not. But I wonder how even handed they'll be. The NBP got a pretty free ride when they intimidated voters.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I will start with "you can't go into a crowded theater and scream fire." That's kinda bull****, mostly. He left off the part that is always left off of that quote: "..and causing a panic". So, the idea is that if you yell "fire" and cause a panic and mayhem ensues, you can't use the 1st amendment as a defense. But the important thing, yelling "fire" in a crowded theater isn't the standard. The standard is speech that is likely to incite imminent lawless action. Merely open carrying isn't in itself likely to incite imminent lawless action.

It sounds like to me that they are admitting up front that they're going to harass open carriers. Maybe arrest, maybe not. But I wonder how even handed they'll be. The NBP got a pretty free ride when they intimidated voters.

Exactly.

You CAN yell Fire! if you do so judiciously
    You CAN Open Carry safely, if you do so judiciously

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    An OC "demonstration" is by its very nature political. I'm afraid I don't see the difference between that and the Black Panthers walking around OC'ing anymore than a bunch of guys down at Union Station during the lunch rush. I would (hope) suspect that the law enforcement personnel will be so heavily armed that the shear number of LEO carried weapons would make an otherwise sane person think twice about starting something.

Of course here lately sanity is in short supply.

They stated they were coming armed for "self defense"... implying they expect trouble (or want trouble). Or to threaten with their presence. It has a hostile aura. They aren't there to educate on 2A rights.

OC demonstrations are to show and inform our freedoms. We don't do it to get in fights. It's not a hostile action.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I know.

I think I'll start with this gem.
    We are constitutional law enforcement, we love the Constitution, support it and defend it[STRIKE], but...[/STRIKE] [unless it's hard, or inconvenient or we're busy]

No! You are not "constitutional law enforcement" or, "love the Constitution, support it and defend it" when you are advocating breaking the constitution.

^^^^ This ^^^^^^ Act is on target. Can't have it both ways

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Hopefully anyone who decides to OC has some common sense. I see all hell breaking loose over some uneducated jackass playing with his gun instead of just leaving it holstered/slung. If they carry, hopefully they have some sense and training.

Like the kitchen scene at the italian restaurant in Enemy of the State

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    Exactly which law do they want suspended? The open carry one? lol.

EXACTLY!!! The simple legal concept that there IS no law outlawing it means it IS a legal thing to do escapes just about everyone yapping about it in the media. The OSC decision just upheld that concept. No one legalized it with a law, it was never OUTLAWED in the first place.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    They stated they were coming armed for "self defense"... implying they expect trouble (or want trouble). Or to threaten with their presence. It has a hostile aura. They aren't there to educate on 2A rights.

OC demonstrations are to show and inform our freedoms. We don't do it to get in fights. It's not a hostile action.

Having constitutional rights means people you disagree with, or are even fearful of, have them too.:dunno:

There are thousands of ways this situation can end badly, and only one way it turns out good. I am not optimistic.:rolleyes:

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    If public servants who are sworn to uphold and defend the Constitution make public proclamations that they no longer respect the Constitution, and by extension indicate their willingness to subvert it or break their oath then they should no longer be public servants.

I note that this fine gentleman did not (nor would probably ever) call for the outright banning of the First Amendment to prevent the possibility of violence occurring at a protest.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Former Ohio resident here. We considered Ohio to be upside down, as in it's.... excrement orifice is at the top. Sooo... there's Cleveland. Cleveland has been a bastion of liberal idiocy and complete disrespect for both the Federal and State Constitutions for as long as I can remember. Cleveland thinks it can push around Ohio like Chicago pushes around Illinois, and NYC pushes around the rest of New York state. Those of us that lived downstate were embarrassed that Cleveland was a part of Ohio and wound have gladly supported it being given to Pennsylvania or Canada. With that said, Cleveland can go straight to Hell. (Only that Hell won't take it because they are worried about property values). Cleveland believes it is exempt from "home rules" and continues to make it's own regulations that are blatantly against Ohio law. They continue to lose in court time after time, and are too stupid to cease their behavior.

Cleveland has been, and will continue to be a festering thorn in the side of anyone that cares about gun rights, or has even an elementary grasp on what laws and Constitutions mean.

The news and talking heads aren't helping either. I'm so sick of New Yorkers babbling on the news about Ohio gun laws (or Indiana's for that matter), when they don't understand Jack about them. I just yelled at the television watching Newt Gingrich get this wrong on Hannity. Yes,
    I know Gingrich is from GA. He stated that open carry in Ohio means you still need a license, or at least need to meet the requirements for one. This is completely wrong.

It was a long, hard road in Ohio to get most of the police departments to understand that there was an Ohio Supreme Court decision about open carry, and it's a RIGHT. No license is required. No training is required. No stinking permit, license, or note from your mother is required. If you can legally purchase a firearm, you can openly carry it. (Cars don't count. Don't get me started on that). Cleveland has still resisted this simple concept, and will continue to get their city butts sued off by open carriers that get tackled, detained, and treated like criminals.

Liberty Sanders, I remember you and the help you gave us and I thank you for it. I went by a different name on Ohio's gun boards. I also left OFCC's organization after they cracked down on the open carry supporters there. Honestly, since I have moved to Indiana I haven't gone back to OFCC or BFA and I'm not looking back. I like it here in Indiana.

And no, there is no good or legitimate reason to go to Cleveland. I've been there many times and done the research for you. Stay here.

Chris

I hear ya. Husband's nephew moved there a while back; judging from the liberal nonsense he spews on Facebook, it's the perfect place for him.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Now that the convention has passed by without massive carnage and bloodshed I think an apology is in order followed up by a resignation.

Top Bottom