• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    I am heading through Ohio & WV tomorrow. From what I have read I think I can have my gun in it's case in the trunk. Can someone please accurately verify this for me.

If your unsure then please don't guess. I am going to get my PA non res later this month and then this will not be an issue as they both have reciprocity with PA and recognize their non res carry permits.

Thank-you in advance for your response.

ProLibertate

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    You are ok to transport in both states.

Ohio is a MUST NOTIFY state. If you are stopped by LEO's for any reason, you are legally obligated to notify them that you are in legal possession of a handgun.

West Virginia is NOT a Must Notify state. Although WV doesn't honor the IN LTCH, their law reads that anyone who may lawfully possess a handgun may carry UNCONCEALED (i.e. Open Carry) without a permit. Remember though, that just one layer of clothing covering part of the weapon renders it concealed. Since we are getting into jacket weather, this may be something to consider. May be better off just leaving it in the trunk, where it is completely lawful to transport.
    Enjoy your trip.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Another note to OC'ing in WV... it is NOT legal to do so in Charleston or Dunbar, if you are going to be going through either on I-64, I-77, or I-79, this is something to bear in mind. City cops do patrol the interstates.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If you're traveling THROUGH those states, and not TO them, you're also covered by the Federal Peaceable Journey statutes, which you can find in the INGO FAQ.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Also, OP:

In Ohio a loaded magazine is considered to be a loaded firearm.

I may or may not use a factory box when I visit family in OH, but I DO make sure that every single magazine is unloaded.

I have everything in 1 or two range bags in the trunk of my car.

Now, if I were in a min-van or a pickup where there wasn't a "separate" passenger compartment, I'd be more apt to find a lockable container just to be sure.

Oh, and watch your speed in Ohio. They don't play.

-J-

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I am heading through Ohio & WV tomorrow. From what I have read I think I can have my gun in it's case in the trunk. Can someone please accurately verify this for me.

If your unsure then please don't guess. I am going to get my PA non res later this month and then this will not be an issue as they both have reciprocity with PA and recognize their non res carry permits.

Thank-you in advance for your response.

A couple of things. In OH if you have loaded magazines/speedloaders etc that fit a firearm in your vehicle, it is by state statute the same as having a loaded firearm.
    Lawriter - ORC - Chapter 2923: CONSPIRACY, ATTEMPT, AND COMPLICITY; WEAPONS CONTROL; CORRUPT ACTIVITY
    (5)”Unloaded” means any of the following:
    (a) No ammunition is in the firearm in question, and no ammunition is loaded into a magazine or speed loader that may be used with the firearm in question and that is located anywhere within the vehicle in question, without regard to where ammunition otherwise is located within the vehicle in question. For the purposes of division (K)(5)(a) of this section, ammunition held in stripper-clips or in en-bloc clips is not considered ammunition that is loaded into a magazine or speed loader.

(5)”Unloaded” means any of the following:
    (a) No ammunition is in the firearm in question, and no ammunition is loaded into a magazine or speed loader that may be used with the firearm in question and that is located anywhere within the vehicle in question, without regard to where ammunition otherwise is located within the vehicle in question. For the purposes of division (K)(5)(a) of this section, ammunition held in stripper-clips or in en-bloc clips is not considered ammunition that is loaded into a magazine or speed loader.
    And I don't believe that OH recognizes the PA permit. At least they don't have it listed as one of the states they have a reciprocity agreement with.
    Reciprocity agreements

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I picked up my PA license from Centre County. Pretty inexpensive, but not required. PA has reciprocity with IN.

My sister lives in Philly, I always had my XD on when I was there. I locked up my XD in the truck, unloaded when in OH. When we crossed into PA, I hit the first rest stop and got reacquainted with my "trusted friend".

Wait a minute, I just read the OP again, Does WV and/or OH honor a PA license for non-residents? I didn't think OH honors any permit/license that doesn't involve a test.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I picked up my PA license from Centre County. Pretty inexpensive, but not required. PA has reciprocity with IN.

My sister lives in Philly, I always had my XD on when I was there. I locked up my XD in the truck, unloaded when in OH. When we crossed into PA, I hit the first rest stop and got reacquainted with my "trusted friend".

Wait a minute, I just read the OP again, Does WV and/or OH honor a PA license for non-residents? I didn't think OH honors any permit/license that doesn't involve a test.

This site is the best I've found for up-to-date information on reciprocity and recognition, among other things.

Handgunlaw.us

I think you will find the answers you need on that site.

Top Bottom