• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I don't but would be interested in hearing reviews. Sounds like an interesting concept. $219 for the 2 tuner version seems a little spendy, but I'd get one in a heartbeat if they worked as advertised.

EDIT: just read through a bit more thoroughly and realized the hard drive isn't internal. That stinks, but considering I paid around $250 for my 4 tuner card for my HTPC a few years ago, I guess the price isn't horrible. I'd probably go with the 4 tuner version for $299 if I did it. If the reception and picture is good, it could be an excellent product. I wonder if the recorded video has any problems being recorded to a USB device instead of an internal drive?

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Since cutting the cord, I've found that I don't really have any need for a dvr. I might be more interested if one could use an Internet browser on the tv

downlinx

Expert
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Lafayette, IN
    I run . Home theater computer and have cut the cable long ago. Most of my wife's shows are online, amazon prime or Netflix. All of our movies are stored on a server in the basement. I also have various programs that access other options we want.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    As soon as hbo rolls out their service, and with sling having espn, I'm chopping the cord, and not looking back. I already have Netflix, but I expect to save $100 plus/month after the switchover.

skydelta34

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have been testing Simple.TV for a couple of weeks. I chose it over the Tablo because I think I read somewhere that Tablo is working better with the IPAD and Simple.TV works better with Android. Since I already had an antenna, external HD and Roku's on every TV plus an extra Android tablet, I was leaning towards the Simple.TV. Plus, if you are patient, you can get a Simple.TV, 2 tuner model with lifetime subscription through Deal Woot for $99. Spending $99 to test the technology was a better first step than jumping straight into Tablo at $350 ($200 for two tuner model plus $149 subscription).

As far as the Simple.TV, it is working well so far. Sometimes I wonder if the people who write bad reviews are setting up the equipment to work under ideal conditions. Some tips I learned:

Set the equipment up in the order the instructions describe and only then power it on per the instructions. I know I am guilty at times of just turning something on and then start attaching cables, it doesn't work the best that way.

Attaching the dvr to the router by Ethernet cable is a must. So if the dvr cant be in the same room as the router and you are counting on WIFI, you may not be happy with the performance.

Move all equipment away from your wireless router so the signal is not compromised.

Setting up recordings on the android app is the easiest and most effective method. You can select a recording to watch and delete it through the roku.

For $99, it may be worth the cost to give it a try. The plus is that the extra equipment you will have to purchase is the same for either the Simple.TV or Tablo so if you switch, you aren't out anything other than the DVR.

Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria
    Good info.... we're moving to IN and trying to figure out the best and least expensive way to get TV and internet. It's just me and the Missus - don't need several TVs on at once. Currently have DirecTV, but would like to get away from that. We don't need a bazillion channels, just a few.
    Thanks for sharing and looking forward to the move.

skydelta34

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Hey skydelta... Have you tried something like this???

Amazon.com: 2014 SkyStreamX 4 Quad Core Android Smart TV Box - Android 4.4 & Gotham 13.1 XBMC Addons Preloaded - Streaming Internet Media Player: Electronics

Every time I ask about it, nobody knows. Another sounds to good to be true. I guess it would be Android?? What is XMBC???

No I have not tried the SkyStream. If you are looking for something to stream OTT video on the internet, it is tough to be a Roku.

XBMC I believe stands for X Box Media Center. It also is known as KODI. I am not sure it has the ability to receive OTA programming and record like a PVR like the TABLO.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    No I have not tried the SkyStream. If you are looking for something to stream OTT video on the internet, it is tough to be a Roku.

XBMC I believe stands for X Box Media Center. It also is known as KODI. I am not sure it has the ability to receive OTA programming and record like a PVR like the TABLO.

I know a guy that said his friend has one and was able to get the Colts on several channels when it was blocked over here on the locals. (Northern Indiana) Was wanting to know if anyone else uses one or had any first hand experience. Well... Like I have any time for TV....

Top Bottom